Hacking Finally getting a PSP - could really use some advice.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Format your memory card when you get it via the PSP settings (this is the best way)

That will probably be the only time you need to format.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Format your memory card when you get it via the PSP settings (this is the best way)

That will probably be the only time you need to format.

Ah ok, great
smile.gif
. I didn't know the PSP itself could format the stick.

Thanks!

ChaosX1022

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have nothing to worry about. I just bought a pspgo (which are really cheep used at gamestop) 2 weeks ago and knew nothing of hacking it but it really is easy.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, my new PSP came in yesterday and I'm happy to say it's only at 6.39. I haven't had a chance to hack it yet though (I thought I had a USB cable, but it's not with me), but I'll most likely have it done sometime today.

That said, I had another question - I'm a big fan of the PS1 and I've really been looking forward to playing some old Playstation rpgs and such when I finally get this thing setup. The thing is, from what I was seeing in the sticky thread about PSX2PSP conversion, I guess the current PRO-B8 doesn't really support PS1 games very well? That was back in June, so I was wondering if that's still the case now? Will I actually be able to play the converted PSX e-boots with the current PRO firmware, or is it still not very compatible?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
See if the games you want are on PSN, then if you don't want to buy them, download them from some site.

That way you don't need to worry about support.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
See if the games you want are on PSN, then if you don't want to buy them, download them from some site.

I wasn't actually planning on buying any games unless I specifically need a key for online play or something. That's the main reason I was so anxious to get a PSP when I heard about the CFW. I'm confused beyond belief at this point though lol. Am I only able to play PSP games that are unsigned if I'm on CFW, or are signed games also playable?

Also, when you say download them from some site do you mean just the PS1 games that Sony specifically ported to the PSP themselves, and not the e-boots that we rip/make ourselves? There's a ton of PS1 games that I was hoping to play that don't have official ports. Can I play any of them on the Current PRO firmware?

Edit: Ehh, thinking about it, I think my biggest problem is not knowing exactly what "signed" means in regards to psp/ps1 games.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Alacres said:
prowler_ said:

I wasn't actually planning on buying any games unless I specifically need a key for online play or something. That's the main reason I was so anxious to get a PSP when I heard about the CFW

Well that's an awesome attitude....

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Alacres said:
prowler_ said:

I wasn't actually planning on buying any games unless I specifically need a key for online play or something. That's the main reason I was so anxious to get a PSP when I heard about the CFW

Well that's an awesome attitude....

I'm sorry but isn't that the main reason most people would use custom firmware in the first place? I don't make very much money so this is really the only option I have when it comes to console gaming. I don't see how saying something like that would offend anyone around here...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No, i'd say only the very young or silly, or just morally repugnant people, purchase a console just to run it into the ground and refuse to support the developers of the games they enjoy. Piracy the way you describe your intentions isn't to be lauded.

Many people own a PSP just as a portable emulation system (portable SNES, Genesis etc...) and that's one thing, but to have already decided that you won't ever put any money back into the game industry which you enjoy is shameful for someone who enjoys gaming.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
No, i'd say only the very young or silly, or just morally repugnant people, purchase a console just to run it into the ground and refuse to support the developers of the games they enjoy. Piracy the way you describe your intentions isn't to be lauded.

Many people own a PSP just as a portable emulation system (portable SNES, Genesis etc...) and that's one thing, but to have already decided that you won't ever put any money back into the game industry which you enjoy is shameful for someone who enjoys gaming.

Well, when you're essentially living paycheck-to-paycheck in order to survive in a society with a severely messed up economy/system, I think it's understandable to try and find cheaper means of entertainment. We don't all make big, lavish salaries with tons of extra money to spend, if you haven't noticed. I even had to sell some things in order to have the extra money for the psp itself.

But sure, go for the insult route if that makes you feel like a bigger person. I asked a few simple questions and I was just hoping to get them answered; not be berated by someone who would ironically have to be very "young and silly" to classify someone they know nothing about as being "morally repugnant."

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Re-read my post...you're the only one tossing insults at other members of the forum, and ironically i already know more about your intentions than you know about me.

Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Re-read my post...you're the only one tossing insults at other members of the forum

Yeah, because there's nothing insulting about calling someone "morally repugnant".
rolleyes.gif

Agree with his aims or not, you're still tossing insults.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Re-read my post...you're the only one tossing insults at other members of the forum, and ironically i already know more about your intentions than you know about me.

Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.

You're obviously just trying to pick a fight at this point. Please point to anywhere in any of my posts that I was insulting anyone. The only thing I've said that could even slightly be taken as an insult was when I indirectly returned your own insult to you. And of course gaming is a luxury, I never said otherwise. I'll admit it's important to me since it's one of the few forms of entertainment that I can afford and access from where I live, but I'm not calling it a necessity.

I'm aware that the developers need money, and believe me, if I made enough extra to where I could afford to buy games fairly often, I'd do it without hesitation. I'm also really grateful to those that do show their financial support because without them we'd have nothing at all to play, period. As it stands now though, I'm just not personally in a position to where I can support them much myself financially, so that's why I was glad to see that there was an alternative for those of us on the 'broke' end of the spectrum. I do plan on buying Phantasy Star Portable 2 though, and maybe some others down the road if and when I'm able.

In any case, I'm done with this back and forth. I just asked a couple of simple questions and if your only aim is to start a fight with me then I see no reason for you to post in this thread at all.

Back to the questions - I understand what "Signed" and "Unsigned" means now, but I was confused about how each of them work on the PSP. From what I've been reading, unsigned can only be played on the CFW and signed can only be played on the OFW - is that correct? Also, is there a certain method for switching between official and custom firmware (I'm using the temp version), or do you just reboot when you want to use official?

Thanks for any info.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Signed is stuff that can run on OFW. Whether it also works on CFW may vary.
You don't need signed versions of things on a hacked PSP.

With the temp one, just reboot when you want the official firmware.

Ah ok, I see. I was mainly curious because on the site that I use for these purposes most of the PSP games I've seen have been marked as "Signed" and I was wondering if I'd actually be able to play them while the CFW was installed on my PSP.

I also just made a pretty surprising discovery about my PSP and I'm unsure of what to do at this point. The one I've been messing with so far was the one my buddy ordered (which came with 6.39). My version (that just came in today), on the other hand, actually came installed with 6.20. I've read a lot about 6.20 being preferred by many people, so I was curious if there were any big advantages/disadvantages for using one over the other (aside from the permanent boot option)? I read someone mention that 6.20 worked better with POPsloader and PSX compatibility in general, and if there's any truth to that, I figured I'd stay the course with 6.20.

The permanent boot option though... is there any way to switch back to the OFW when you want/need? Are there any glaring negatives?

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Nothing major, and I'm not sure on PSX compatibility since that's changing every so often with plugin improvements.

And yes, with the permanent boot you simply hold Select while booting to boot OFW.

Glaring negatives, none assuming you test the patch first like it's suggested.

Awesome, thanks for all the info
smile.gif
. I just finished installing 6.20 PRO and so far so good.

I know I've worn your guys out with questions throughout this thread (especially you Rydian), but I had a couple of others if you don't mind (I've got most of it down, but there's a few other things I was curious about).

1. You said that you don't need signed versions of things when using CFW, but if you have the option, would it be better in the long run to get the signed games? Wouldn't they typically be the more compatible version since they're playable on OFW? On the site that I use, it seems like most of the PSP games are "signed", so I'll probably be playing many of them on the OFW.

2. I was also wondering what would happen if you got on the PSN network without switching to the OFW first (or is it even possible)? I haven't tried it yet since I figured it might cause some problems. I'm sure I'll remember to switch when I need to, but I was curious about what would happen, nonetheless.

3. I think I understand how the homebrew/emulator stuff works but I wanted to make sure - pretty much everything like that is typically installed in PSP/GAME/ folder, right?

4. The last thing was about the POPsloader plugin. Don't we need to create a special folder to use for plugins and stuff like that? I think I saw some info about it in a post earlier but I can't seem to find it again.

And with all that, I think I'm finally done with the questions. Sorry about all of this, and thanks again for all the help.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Take a chill pill guys plus this forum is mainly used by pirates, who will argue this is FACT

Point is are you a PIRATE or a THIEF!? http://gbatemp.net/t303759-piracy

In short if you can easily afford buying your stuff but still pirate the shit out of it, basically you are a damn thief
I agree with that point of view, basic sure but it pretty much sum things up about where one stand in the food chain of gaming industry

Now to try and help with your questions

1) No noticeable difference signed or not for CFW things will run the same either way

2) No noticeable difference if you run PSN from OFW or CFW

3) Yes, and psp games/minis go in ISO folder - note that psoneclassics and eboot of ps1 games go to PSP/GAME/ as well

4) Yes, this specific folder is named "seplugin" and must be located at the root of the memory stick. Usually when you download a plugin it comes within this folder and you just copy/paste content and lines of the .txt file. Also about Popsloader you can find pre-build packages for the latest 6.xx release of it but, it won't help for anything unless you want to play really obscure PS1 custom eboot and anyway the more compatible versions of POPS firmware are simply not working for most PSP models (cough 4.01 i miss you)

You'r welcome to ask anything and nothing to be sorry for, enjoy your PSP fellow temper ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night