Hacking Finally getting a PSP - could really use some advice.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered a PSP yesterday (the 3000), and until just recently, I was clueless about hacking it (or that it was even possible). Up until now, I've pretty much just stuck with my DS and the AceKard as I wasn't even aware that you could play games for free on the PSP.

That said, I had a few particular questions that I wasn't able to find while browsing the forum:

First of all, would it be possible to download games from the PSN store (I'm planning on getting Phantasy Star Portable 2 digitally, and since I'll be playing it online, I thought it would be safer to go legit), or would that interfere with the CFW? In other words, is it possible to hack the PSP and still use the legit functions too, or do you have to give up one for the other? I'd prefer to go the digital route when I'm able to (the less discs to haul around, the better), but if it would cause problems to download games directly from the PSN, I don't mind going with physical copies instead.

The second thing I was curious about was the "dual booting" thing I've heard about a few times. I wasn't sure what that meant in terms of a PSP. Is it basically where you can switch between the OFW and CFW? And is it difficult to do?

Lastly, exactly how dangerous and/or difficult is it to hack a PSP-3000? I've seen the word "bricked" quite a few times since I've been searching for info so I'm assuming there's some flashing involved? I actually ordered mine from Wal-mart specifically for the risk-factor since they seem to have a really lax, "don't ask for specifics" return policy, so I don't mind taking the risks just as long as the odds are decent.

And I guess that's about it. Sorry if this stuff is all common knowledge to most of you. I really know next to nothing about PSPs. Basically, I'm just trying to find out what is and isn't possible while using CFW. I'd hate to buy a game digitally from the PSN store and then find out I can't play it because I'm using CFW lol. It'd be nice to have the option to use PSN once in awhile while still being able to play hacked games for free, but I can understand if it's not possible to do both. In any case, I figured this was the best place to ask about it.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can spare

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. I don't have any problems with official psn games. You should be fine.

2. Switching between OFW and CFW is as easy as holding down a button when you turn on the PSP or not holding the button down and turning on the PSP. Easy.

3. Hacking the PSP with CFW is now really simple. With anything involving low level software, installation of firmwares etc there is always gonna be a slim chance of bricking. As long as you are careful and don't do something stupid you shouldn't have any problems though.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with PRO CFW, you can play all legitimate PSN games and access the PSN just like people on OFW, as well as play your ISOs and use your plugins, etc.

and hacking it is stupidly easy, literally drag two folders to your PSP/GAME/ folder, then just launch into the CFW like u would a game

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kineticUK said:
1. I don't have any problems with official psn games. You should be fine.

2. Switching between OFW and CFW is as easy as holding down a button when you turn on the PSP or not holding the button down and turning on the PSP. Easy.

3. Hacking the PSP with CFW is now really simple. With anything involving low level software, installation of firmwares etc there is always gonna be a slim chance of bricking. As long as you are careful and don't do something stupid you shouldn't have any problems though.

Thanks for the super fast response
smile.gif
. I'm glad to hear that it's all pretty simple these days. I had seen a few older threads (from back in 2010) that made it sound like hacking a 3000 was insanely difficult, so it's nice to hear the contrary is true. Then again, I guess it all comes down to which version of OFW my PSP comes installed with though, right?

Speaking of which, that reminds me of something else I wanted to ask about - Does Sony require you to install the latest firmware in order to download games off of the PSN or is it not mandatory? I never update my DS if I can help it (to avoid complications to my Acekard), and I'd probably do the same with the PSP as long as it's not required/necessary.

I'm also still a little fuzzy on how to do the initial hacking and about which guide around here I should follow, but I guess that will all depend on what version my PSP comes installed with.

Thanks again for the help

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
They do require you to update but PRO bypasses that.

It doesn't really matter what firmware your PSP comes with, all firmwares can be modded.
(There is 6.40 that is unhackable but there is a 0.01% chance of your PSP containing this update)

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
They do require you to update but PRO bypasses that.

It doesn't really matter what firmware your PSP comes with, all firmwares can be modded.
(There is 6.40 that is unhackable but there is a 0.01% chance of your PSP containing this update)

Ah ok, good to know. I'm a little confused though - if you're required to update, wouldn't it be updated to the latest OFW automatically (6.40) or is the firmware update itself not mandatory? I mean, would I be able to download a game from PSN without being forced to update to 6.40?

Thanks for the info, btw
smile.gif

shadow100z

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there is a link floating around that you download and put on ur memory stick and update to 6.39 ofw. no need to download the 6.40 update. my psp i updated to 6.39 then downgraded to 6.20 pro b-8 and my can run what every i throw at it "YET". i dunno what motherboard ur psp is so down grading to 6.20 may not be a good idea unless it g05 or under.

instal 6.39 pro-b8 temp and you will be fine.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shadow100z said:
there is a link floating around that you download and put on ur memory stick and update to 6.39 ofw. no need to download the 6.40 update. my psp i updated to 6.39 then downgraded to 6.20 pro b-8 and my can run what every i throw at it "YET". i dunno what motherboard ur psp is so down grading to 6.20 may not be a good idea unless it g05 or under.

instal 6.39 pro-b8 temp and you will be fine.
shadow he bought a 3000 so it might be a 9g not like your 4g 9g come with 6.3x

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alacres said:
I'm also still a little fuzzy on how to do the initial hacking and about which guide around here I should follow, but I guess that will all depend on what version my PSP comes installed with.

Thanks again for the help
this one, more specifically either of the second set of spoilers (but use pro-b8 not pro-b7)

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Prowler's point was that the hacked firmware ignores Sony's demand for you to be on the latest version (whereas with the stock firmware you'd need to comply).

Ahh, I think I understand now. So once I update with the hacked firmware, PSN is tricked into seeing it as being officially up-to-date and doesn't require you to update through their servers? And that would also mean that it's safe to use the PSN to officially download games? Let me know if I'm off-base here.

Thanks for all the help guys
yaypsp.gif

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

I had one last question and I think I'll finally be done. Are there any problems or risks associated with playing hacked games online? Let's say I decide to just download a hacked copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2, instead of buying it legit - would there be any complications trying to play the non-legit version online (like Sony spotting me and then banning me or something?)

I don't really mind buying it, but if I can save 40 dollars, I'd be cool with that
laugh.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Most games can play online fine, but there are a few where you need a key to play online that you get from the retail game (so you can't play online with a pirated one), I'm not sure if PSP2 is one of them.

If I'm not mistaken, PSP2 is actually one of few titles that implements the pay pass system on the PSP. I know Modnation Racers is another one that uses it. Patapon 3 is an offender too. Not sure what else has pay passes though.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Phantasy Star Portable 2 needs the Little Wing Licence, buy the game from PSN and it is automatically applied to your account (as well as being able to play it on the Vita if you do get it)

Edit: Also a warning if you do decide to go online, always back up your save as there are cheaters online which can seriously mess up your save (if the host has cheats on that give 9999 EXP with each kill, the same will be applied to you).

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
When it first came out, the servers would let anyone on.

After they announced they fixed it, I haven't heard if anyone could get on or not and people must of assumed they actually fixed it.

Guess not.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
From what I'm reading and hearing I guess it broke when PSN did and Sega never noticed? XD

Yeah, that's what I was reading too. I'll probably still go for the official copy to avoid any complications that might arise in the future (if the infinity expansion is ever released in the states, for example). That will probably be the only game I genuinely buy for awhile anyway, so it's not a big deal.

By the way, I had one other question for you guys (this should be the last since I won't have internet tonight
tongue.gif
) - Is there any particular way that I'll need to format my memory stick when I get it? And if so, is there a recommended formatting tool similar to the one used for micro SD cards, that I can use to do it? The memory stick I'm getting will be brand new (a sandisk I believe), so I figured it would be fine out of the box, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr