jesuschristmonke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basically, FF had three good games:

1. FF3 (Snes) or whatever number it was in Japan, I don't really care.
2. FF7 (PS1)
3. FF Tactics (PS1)

So like any decent franchise, they ran that into the ground with lots of other fluff. Some people get attached to the others, but I think more due to familiarity and the power of suggestion than actual gameplay.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love Final Fantasy. I think what pulls me into the FF games so much is their amazing stories and the brilliant music, which without it, just wouldn't be the same. I bought the FFX soundtrack as it is so damn good. What I like so much about FF games is they make me feel like I'm part of the journey. I know the random battles can be as annoying as hell sometimes but I don't let that ruin the game for me.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
16 years ago, I was so into turn-based RPGs. Beat FF5 like dozen times over.
Recently? I'm yet to finish Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Persona 3 FES, Dragon Quest 8, etc.

I mean, I still like those games. It's just that I can't sit and fight boring battles for long any more. A couple hours and I'm out.

And the III and VI thing always confuses me hell. (Because I was fortunate enough to play most Japanese games when they came out)

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jesuschristmonkeyballs said:
Basically, FF had three good games:

1. FF3 (Snes) or whatever number it was in Japan, I don't really care.
2. FF7 (PS1)
3. FF Tactics (PS1)

So like any decent franchise, they ran that into the ground with lots of other fluff. Some people get attached to the others, but I think more due to familiarity and the power of suggestion than actual gameplay.

If you think that's true, then there is something wrong with you.

Seven wasn't that great, it's just overhyped by fanboys. Five was far superior, as was nine and four.

QUOTEAnd the III and VI thing always confuses me hell.

II, III and V were never released in America for the NES/SNES. FF IV became II and VI became III. When VII was released Square said "Fuck it, let's stop changing the names". Blame America and it's love for changing the names of videogames and movies.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good question...
Dunno. I don't like random battles and grinding, but I do it becaussse. I dunno really. I think with FFVII and beyond, the big appeal is the big-budget blockbuster storylines and presentation. FFI - FFVI are more about levelling and jobs. Classic hardcore gameplay that is ever so rewarding when you can do it, the joy of training up your character level by level to get the best possible moveset.
Honestly, it's hard to know why. All the stuff I've said so far makes FF sound boring :\. Meh, Final Fantasy is still awesome though.

Parsaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
What can I say? I don't like the series. I find the stories to kind of suck, I find that a lot of games do their styles of gameplay a lot better, and frankly I don't see how any of the games are connected to each other? It is as if they just decided, hey let's call this one FF... how many have we done now? Oh ok, just add another random number to it. And I'm not much of a grinder, don't like levelling too much (if only rare candies exists on every game frown.gif )

Yeah man, I agree. I hate grinding for hours on end. And I also agree that none of the Final Fantasy games are really connected, except for X and X-2, I think(What's the point?)

Rare candies are amazing, by the way.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE said:
Well, I see what your talking about Parsaw..Personally, my favorite RPG of all time is Golden Sun..I really love that game, from graphics, story gameplay..everything is freakin' perfect..
Playing FF, I enjoy most of them, but never liked any of them as I do Golden Sun..

Holy CRAP! I totally forgot about Golden Sun! That game was freaking AMAZING.

QUOTE said:
Hmm? :3 I wasn't asking you to like 'em. We all have our own tastes. I like the stories because they're good fodder for writing. ^^ I doubt you'd understand that unless you read fanfic.

Oh, and it's dudette by the way. rolleyes.gif

I know you weren't asking me to like them, I was just stating a couple reasons why I don't really like Final Fantasy,

Anyways, why do you like a game, only to go write about it? Video games are for playing, not writing about. That's just my opinion, and what I feel.

And sorry for the mix up?

16 years ago, I was so into turn-based RPGs. Beat FF5 like dozen times over.
Recently? I'm yet to finish Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Persona 3 FES, Dragon Quest 8, etc.

Yeah, I remember those days for me. It wasn't sixteen years ago, though.(Considering I would be two then.
tongue.gif
) It was more like 8 years ago, more or less. I could sit and play games for hours on end, Sometimes start at like 12 Noon, and keep going until 5 AM the next morning. It was amazing. I miss those days...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
I have FFXII beside my PS3 right now.

And I'm not much of a grinder, don't like levelling too much (if only rare candies exists on every game
frown.gif
)

FF XII had Auto Grind. I turned it on when I was on the Airship (Leviathan? Something like that) and got a quickening for each character pretty quickly. Killed the boss in one hit with minimal effort, and no manual grinding.

Darkshades

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Certain genres appeal to different people. JRPGs tend to resemble the kind of fantasy feel that a lot of animes have. I personally play many genres of games, and I'm 18 years old if anyone is curious. My favorite FINAL FANTASY games are IV, VI and XI. FINAL FANTASY represents(or at one time, represented) what the martyr for JRPGs was. If you don't like the fantasy feel of linear type or new type RPGs, FINAL FANTASY probably isn't for you.

Hope I helped.
-Shade

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
FF XII had Auto Grind. I turned it on when I was on the Airship (Leviathan? Something like that) and got a quickening for each character pretty quickly. Killed the boss in one hit with minimal effort, and no manual grinding.
Whut?

I remember getting stuck on the airship. Quite a few hours in, and I had no way to train up before facing that Judge. I just sold the game in the end, because I couldn't be arsed to start all over again. I'll play it again someday.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
Well, I see what your talking about Parsaw..Personally, my favorite RPG of all time is Golden Sun..I really love that game, from graphics, story, gameplay..everything is freakin' perfect..

F'ing A, man. Golden Sun is the best RPG series I've ever played, full-stop/period, depending on your country of origin. The story I loved, the graphics were brilliant and the gameplay was top-notch.

::ONTOPIC:: I'm in the exact same boat as you, and it reminds me of a quote I heard on a podcast, albeit talking about MGS and not FF. "Final Fantasy is like sushi. It's very cool, everyone likes it, it's very Japanese... But I just can't get into it." This applies 100% to me. I've tried 3 and 4 on the DS, and they didn't appeal to me. I have no way of getting either Final Fantasy 7 or 12, which I've heard are the best in the series, because I'm not willing to pay a friggen ridiculous amount to play a game I'm not that interested in.

The reason I don't like JPRGs in general is the fact that you're not really PLAYING the game. It's like you're the invisible taskmaster, sending about your people, but not actually INTERACTING. For some reason I enjoy RTSes though. I can't really get involved with the story when I'M not in it. That's why I don't like games such as Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk. Another factor is you have to pay attention. When I play a game, I want to sit down and play it for a good long amount of time, whilst doing other things.

I listen to at least 7 podcasts each week, some of which are over 1 and a half hours long. I'm a student and get homework every second night, am getting a (part-time) job soon and have to get through the Count of Monte Christo (1249 pages, I counted. 3 times.) in about a week. I don't have time to devote to storylines, especially ones I dislike. I'd rather read a much more fulfilling and generally longer lasting novel.

I suppose the root of the problem is that I love reading. I've read many fabulous books in my time, and many terrible ones. I feel, and this is just my opinion, that the bottom 20% of novels have better storylines than the top 20% of games. I know with games like Bioshock and so on, gaming is developing, but I feel that it is not yet developed enough to enthrall me.

Sorry to attack you guys with a wall of text.

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
I've always felt that the Final Fantasy series had a certain touch of magic that other RPG's didnt have.

Maybe it was the name? or maybe the music or even the art style.

But whatever it is that they do for that series, i believe it will all rank higher then any other RPG i've played. (i've played and finished golden sun and on 3rd disc of FF9 but quit coz it was pretty shit but still better then other RPG's)

It's like how R* has that touch for their GTA series which i dont think Saints row will ever have.

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can almost smell the high production values in Final Fantasy games. The atmospheric surroundings can sometimes be overwhelming. It's not just the story and development that attracts the game, but also the entire ambience.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To divert it a little bit, but doing it style and having it relate to this "Hype of FF?" discussion.
Fanboy
450px-Fanboy_Nintendo.jpg

+
Tifa's boobs
Tifa_Lockheart_on_The_Highwind_by_O.jpg

=

crazy_hype_lg.jpg
And that is why the Final Fantasy Series (MOSTLY FFVII) is overly hyped.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twiffles said:
To divert it a little bit, but doing it style and having it relate to this "Hype of FF?" discussion.
Fanboy
450px-Fanboy_Nintendo.jpg

+
Tifa's boobs
Tifa_Lockheart_on_The_Highwind_by_O.jpg

=

crazy_hype_lg.jpg
And that is why the Final Fantasy Series (MOSTLY FFVII) is overly hyped.

biggrin.gif
the fanboy's moobies are almost as big as tifa's

why do they still call it "final" anyway
the only 2 ff games i beat werent that "final" at all

call it something else like Moogle Fantasy, or Fanboy Fantasy, even better.

P.S. the Fanboy's wearing a carabiner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2