lurrtopia

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To start this off I wanted to cheat. Though this is the same cheat you use to be able to do with a turbo controller back in the SNES days.

Unfortunately though I have not found a way to do it on the GBA itself. So I went to different measures.

Anyway here's how I manage to do it successfully.

I own a F2A Advance 256. I do not own a Pro Action Replay or any other cheat device so my next resort is VBA.

Well as most know with VBA no matter what settings you choose sometimes the emulator will always make save files 64KB instead of the 128KB that your game is using. Which for me FFVIA (U) uses.

In VBA I loaded the game and my current save just at the first save point of Lethe River. I have the Command Settings set to Shortcut and Banon's Pray command set up top. After saving I hop back on the raft and head down the river again. Shortly ahead you come to the point to go left or up and I chose up and then set A to autofire and turned on Speed up Toggle. After several hours I have level 50 party members. At the split I choose to go left instead of up to the very next save point. Save and then exit VBA.

Well here's where some may have a problem with the save because for me VBA still saved the game as 64KB. PowerWriter tells me that it won't update the save file on the cart because of the file size difference.

The solution is to pad the save file. The easiest way is using dos prompt in this similar method where FFVIA.sav is your save file and FFVIA-C.sav is the output:

copy /b FFVIA.sav+FFVIA.sav FFVIA-C.sav

You will now have a 128KB save file that PowerWriter will accept and you may go on with your game like you wanted.

Please don't flame me because this is for those who wish to use the Lethe River trick just like old times. If you are one who doesn't want to cheat them bypass this thread and ignore it. For me though it's something I always done and I won't change my ways.

If other flash cart users do not experience the save file incompatibility as I have then congrats to you. For those that do please try this method and the best of luck to you.

Please don't ask me for Pro Action replay or any other cheat codes because I do not have them. Later I might but as of now I'm sorry. Take care.

txt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the save save problem, would you be so kind to upload your sav file to rapidshare.com ? thx

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What i recommend is grabbing your save and throwing it on your computer.

Visual Boy Advance has settings to hold down certain keys. And you can have it running in speed-up mode to make the process a lot faster.

Throw the save back on your gba when you are done!

lurrtopia

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Rayout. You said the same thing I did without much detail in only three sentences.

I personally like to give almost exact details that way people shouldn't have a problem doing it themselves.

Sort of like step by step directions.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a bad idea too, as it limits the amount of stat increases those three characters can have from Espers later in the game. I always try to get past the Magitek research facility at the lowest level possible so I can start making sure an appropriate lvl up bonus Esper can be equipped for every level up.

lurrtopia

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a bad idea too, as it limits the amount of stat increases those three characters can have from Espers later in the game. I always try to get past the Magitek research facility at the lowest level possible so I can start making sure an appropriate lvl up bonus Esper can be equipped for every level up.

I agree, but it's something I've always done when I use to play back in the day. I can always play it again, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it once more like I did.

About the time I got the Espers I realized that many of those levels could've been used with Espers for stat increases. If I remember correctly though this trick was something I read back in the old Official Nintendo Players guides. I could be wrong though since I no longer have that guide, but I think it was Nintendo brand. Anyway enjoy the game how you want, but if you want a challenge then do it the right way.

thomaspajamas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a bad idea too, as it limits the amount of stat increases those three characters can have from Espers later in the game. I always try to get past the Magitek research facility at the lowest level possible so I can start making sure an appropriate lvl up bonus Esper can be equipped for every level up.

Yeah, FF3/6 is all about the esper bonuses.
Im not sure, but I think if you level up to 99 without bonuses you cant get all your stats up to 999/9999.

Which of course doesnt matter unless you're crazy and spend an entire summer with your friend leveling up every character in the game to 99 and teaching them every spell possible...
biggrin.gif
oh man. what a great summer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright