Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

Yiabal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, well, what can I say about this game? Being a very good title released at the end on the life of its platform made it impossible for the development team to release it outside Japan.

So many "operations", "movements", and "projects"; and after more than a year, the situation is exactly the same. Even so, I still don't see the interest of a fan translation of this game, which surprises me a lot.

Having worked myself on a lot of Spanish fan translations for the PSP (and many other platforms) for many Square Enix games, I had a look at Final Fantasy Type-0. As I said, due to the lack of interest there is no translation available, and as I don't speak Japanese, there is no much more I can do.

Still, I opened this thread to show how the game works internally: as a programmer, I reverse-engineered most of the game engine, making a perfect fan translation *almost possible* (of course, it will never be possible without Japanese translators xD).

-About the game's file system:

Right after opening the ISO, we can clearly see that all the game's data is stored in 2 files:

*yellow.pkg -> The data package, which contains all the game files together
*yellow.fsd -> The file system descriptor, which contains information on how the files are stored in the pkg.

Thew file system descriptor is basically a data base, having:

[Number of stored files in the pkg]
-Then, for each stored file:
[Sector of the pkg where the file start (file offset = sector * 0x800)]
[Implied file sized]

That is en to unpack the data pack. After that, we will find all the game resources including images, audio, video, text, and system data.

-About audio:

We can find 2 types of audio files:
*AT3(+) sound files -> very well known audio format in PSP. Not much to say here.
*ADPCM-encoded stream -> Using the “SSCF” header, this audio format encodes each 16 bit, mono sample in 4 bit data, reducing the size by ¼. It’s pretty easy to decode them knowing how the compression works. Here is an example of a decoded SSCF stream pack:

You guessed right, this is enough to dub the game.

-About graphics

As usual in PSP, all images are encoded in ARGB8888 indexed to 8 bit: so we have 8 bit pixels and a 256 color CLUT (each one 32 bit). This is more than enough to extract, decode, edit and reinsert any image in the game, for example, here is the title menu:

menu1sk.png

Of course, this is needed as many in-game banners are actually graphic files.

-About video files:

Video files are PMF (MPEG2 stream video files with AT3 audio), very common in PSP. Just like with AY3 audio, not much to say here, as everything is known, and many tools exist.

-About system files:

These files are mostly text, event script and 3D model data. They are usually packed in a similar way as the main yellow package. Each package includes a table at the beginning specifiyin:
[Number of packed files]
[A sequential index]
[The package file name]
-Then, for each packed file:
[A file identifier]
[The position in the package]
[The file size]

Unpacking all system files we will find 3D models (they have been mapped and can be previewed like in the following example):

4eb1ea1c_Final-Fantasy-Type-0-Cater-Model.png

And, using the identifier “lang” we can find text files. These text files always use the “ATELY” header, and I’ve mapped the file structure in the following image:

capturepdp.png

*In black -> ATELY constant header
*In grey -> Absolute pointer to the text event script file
*In pink -> Text event script size
-Then, the text data always start at 0x20
*In green -> number of text interventions
*In blue -> Entire text block size
-Then, for each intervention:
*In red -> Intervention index
*In purple -> Intervention size
*In light blue -> intervention text using a custom 16 bit encoding
-Then the next intervention following the same scheme…

In order to decode the custom 16 bit encoding, both the font and Japanese knowledge are needed, as I’m able to extract images, I have full access to the font, shown here:

fnt0.png

fnt1v.png

For a Japanese Speaker, it should be straightforward to understand how the text is encoding
having all this data.

-Conclussions

*As you can see, the game is neither compressed, nor encrypted; it’s just amazing how nobody has actually worked deeply on this game to realize that a fan translation is actually possible.

*I'm posting everything after finding no interest in translating this game after a lot of researching work. It is not my intention to form a translation team, but if anyone find these useful, he/she can count with my help for any possile project.

UPDATE: Tool to extract images like the bitmaps shown in this post:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gdxup2r4t7y4mgm

That is all.

Regards:

~Sky

Happy Anniversary guys. I'm not sure how much work went into this prior to Sky's first post on 12/30/2012.. but...

Happy anniversary to this thread!

:)

SandyFarron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been quite some time since I've made a post, but I just wanted to say this: thank you so much, all of you, for your continued hard work on Final Fantasy Type-0's English translation!

By the way, tested the multiplayer hack in my PSP-1000 and works flawlessly. One more hack for the final release!

I know you likely have no way of testing, but do you imagine it'd also work on a PSP-3000? I ask because I have that model. I'm also wondering if multi-player would work if you were to, say, try playing across a PSP-1000 and a PSP-2000, or a PSP-1000 and a PSP-3000. Strange as it may seem, my sister, her fiance, and I, all have different models.

I'm not, like, asking you to drop everything and test. I actually don't like asking these questions, since it seems like I'm butting in where I don't belong. I was just wondering if I could get a simple yes or no, based on evidence.

Also, I was hoping for some confirmation on something I've heard conflicting reports on lately. You're going to make it so the summer uniforms can be obtained by merely starting a new game, since the demo isn't going to be translated, right? I didn't forget that piece of information?

Thanks again to everyone, and I'm sorry for asking these questions! :)

SkyBird027

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I've actually been following this thread for awhile now, but never told how much I love you guys for this! I've played Type-0 a few days after it's release and finished it, but I actually didn't understand much due to it being JP.

Thank you for the hard work and good luck on your future works! :)

And I'm wondering, BTW: When the patch is released, will there be a new merging tool to be downloaded or can I download the one available now and use it with the patch?

the avenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been quite some time since I've made a post, but I just wanted to say this: thank you so much, all of you, for your continued hard work on Final Fantasy Type-0's English translation!

I know you likely have no way of testing, but do you imagine it'd also work on a PSP-3000? I ask because I have that model. I'm also wondering if multi-player would work if you were to, say, try playing across a PSP-1000 and a PSP-2000, or a PSP-1000 and a PSP-3000. Strange as it may seem, my sister, her fiance, and I, all have different models.

I'm not, like, asking you to drop everything and test. I actually don't like asking these questions, since it seems like I'm butting in where I don't belong. I was just wondering if I could get a simple yes or no, based on evidence.

Also, I was hoping for some confirmation on something I've heard conflicting reports on lately. You're going to make it so the summer uniforms can be obtained by merely starting a new game, since the demo isn't going to be translated, right? I didn't forget that piece of information?

Thanks again to everyone, and I'm sorry for asking these questions! :)
to answer this question,multiplayer was always possible on psp-2000 and psp-3000 but not on psp-1000 cause it required more memory than it can handle but thanks to the optimizations sky made it's possible and to use multiplayer on psp-1000 too,and yes crossplaying between different models works

SandyFarron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to answer this question,multiplayer was always possible on psp-2000 and psp-3000 but not on psp-1000 cause it required more memory than it can handle but thanks to the optimizations sky made it's possible and to use multiplayer on psp-1000 too,and yes crossplaying between different models works

Thank you so much for your answer, the avenger! I'm still curious if the summer uniforms (And Growth Egg?) will be available from the start of a new game in Final Fantasy Type-0's English translation, though, not that I'll mind if I have to start the game in Japanese for the save, then restart in English until the first save point, then load my Japanese data to get the stuff.

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Aren't all those items (Summer/Royal outfits, Growth Egg, etc...) obtainable in multiplayer mode? Because if they are, I don't think putting them as default worth it.

~Sky

Zorax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just wanted to say (for now): Happy new year to everyone!

And thanks again to the translation-hacking (transing, hacklation, transhacklationing) team for the awesome effort in bringing this great experience outside of japan.

*Manly hugs*

Star-scream

Trophies
XP
Country
Aren't all those items (Summer/Royal outfits, Growth Egg, etc...) obtainable in multi-player mode? Because if they are, I don't think putting them as default worth it.

~Sky

Hello Skyblade if you could make it default that would help me and maybe other's to, because I don't have anyone els to play multi-player with... :(

Storm101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe importing a save file from the second demo will get you the summer costumes + growth egg. Not sure if it has to be complete or not.

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't have to complete the demo, just complete all requirements/missions for respective costume
You're talking about the first demo, where you have to earn the Summer Uniforms.

The second demo already have all Summer Uniforms + 2 Growth Egg in the inventory the moment the demo started. Since the second demo starts at the prologue of Type-0, just save at the first save point you find. After doing that, merely load the demo's save file with the full copy of Type-0 to get the bonus items.

Muhammad Syafiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
You're talking about the first demo, where you have to earn the Summer Uniforms.

The second demo already have all Summer Uniforms + 2 Growth Egg in the inventory the moment the demo started. Since the second demo starts at the prologue of Type-0, just save at the first save point you find. After doing that, merely load the demo's save file with the full copy of Type-0 to get the bonus items.

Thx for clearing things up, btw is there any different between 1st demo & 2nd demo?
If I skip 1st demo, is there anything to be missed?

Ziggi_Strife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Happy new year guys & girls ! May 2014 be a good year.

The outfits IMO would be so much better if you could have them as choice from the very beging of the game. so you could costumize youre team as soon as you start the game =) But that's for the team to decide.

Muhammad Syafiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Ok, I just checked both demo,
It seems like the 1st demo contains 4 missions (the savedata doesnt affect the main story's progress except summer costumes)
2nd demo is a part of full game and it savedata can be carried over (exactly on your current progress)
P/S: As being said by The_Lost_Sabre: summer costume can be obtained easily from 2nd demo (just start the game & save, then load the savedata on full game)

I don't know whether the 4 missions from 1st demo are included in the main story plot or not

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1