Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I've been working very hard during this last week to bring the romhacking to the 100%.

However, the result was "kind" of unexpected, as I discovered some hidden extra text files. This is why the completion percentage on my blog hadn't changed since the past few weeks: Even though we keep working, more and more text keep appearing.
This is no problem on the romhacking/programming side of the project. Sure, it's a lot of extra work for me, but the result always pays off.

But on the other side, this means more work for translators too, and for the time being, most of them are inactive, or only semi active.

This is why I consider that it may be a good idea to add one or two extra translator to the team. I've only talked to hakurou and coredecepts about this, and I'd like to confirm with the rest, but I'd like to know if many people can help us. Regards:

~Sky

ThreeOfJacks

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<snip>

omg4n.png

That font. The image was scaled down to 480x272, the exact size it'll look on your PSP. Yeah, I tried to explain the potential problem. Then I was told that the font was changed, and updated. This latest screenshot says otherwise.
<snip>

Please change that font. It looks like crap, it doesn't blend with lighter backgrounds, it's hard to read. If the debut font is out (which it shouldn't be), then I will make you one. No catch. I did that before, and that's what I do.

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your concern is noted. During testing we will dictate if the text is readable or not and how much the background actually clashes with it. Your concern is appreciated so we shall look into it. Once Sky does a few things we can have a few tests to see what something looks like onscreen.

ThreeOfJacks

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your concern is noted. During testing we will dictate if the text is readable or not and how much the background actually clashes with it. Your concern is appreciated so we shall look into it. Once Sky does a few things we can have a few tests to see what something looks like onscreen.

I appreciate you being more understanding than our previous engagements have led me to believe. I really do.

Make the font and we'll test it out.

Fair enough. That said, I'll need a couple of things so that I will know what I have to work with. Shouldn't be hard at all.

1-Easiest bit. I need the bit specifications for the font. Most important part is character size.
2-A sheet of your current font will be helpful. Sky already posted the Japanese sheet, so that isn't a problem. This is important so I will know which characters to make other than the basics.
3-Four screenshots, two being duplicates. I need a screenshot of just chatting with an NPC, and a battle screenshot. The second set needs to be the same, only with the font entirely removed - blank, essentially. This is merely so I can test out my progress before I send you guys anything.

You can either PM them to me, or just post them here. Whichever you prefer.

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, after a few things are sorted out on Sky's end we'll do a few tests. Sky generally uses an emulator to test some stuff, the image you refer do may differ from the actual dimensions of a PSP and is thus upscaled(even if you rescale it there may be slight differences). Which may be a possibility. A few team members seem to think that the font itself is fine but we'll see once we actually test the CC on a PSP and go from there. Meanwhile I'll ask for the opinions of other team members.

Oh and Core says you stink. Or he farted and is blaming it on you.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's because of the upscaling by either PPSSPP or JPCSP that the drop shadows behind the characters seem off a little bit. (It's supposed to have a drop shadow under these letters, like in the Japanese version that was reviewed and played lots of time and nobody said that bit was a deal-breaking issue) In fact, it's expected: lots of things become ugly, diluted (it's obvious here he coupled the 2x with a filter to smooth it up) and pixellated after upscaling to 2x.
An then again all games I played so far look better on the actual PSP hardware (which isn't really the optimal way for the team to test the game, as it lacks practical disassembly and save manipulation/save state features) than on an emulator, even with 1x and perfect emulation and all. The screen, the lighting... these little things are different.

I get that you want to add that debug font so badly, but this is a translation, aiming to stick as close to the original as possible and focusing on the actual translation

They said no re-balances, no restoration of Gilgamesh (even though we'd all love to)... Well they did add to the main story on their own the swimsuit from the demo they won't translate -rather, won't translate it twice- so everyone would enjoy it, but then again so did Capcom when after not translating the Quiz DLC they brought the extra costumes from it to the Western versions, so since the industry does it all is forgiven I guess, huh?).

It's not rocket science.
After they release their translation with the "ugly" font (you're entitled to think so), you can pick up their translation, open the iso with UMDGen, find the offending font (you may have to unpack some files and do some search, but hey it's all part of the fun)(NOTE: btw do emulators have an option for locating the exact file loaded currently in-game, like Dolphin, DesMume and PCSX2?), convert it with that Gim tool (I forgot its name), open the bitmap with Photoshop with indexed colors, change those filthy hideous letters to more acceptable decent ones that don't make eyes bleed, reconvert back and repack and then repack the whole ISO, and Enjoy!
Congratulations, you did a hack! (Although asking for prior permission from the translation team would be more than welcome)
You can call it "Super Font Hack ♥♠♠♣♣♣♦♦♦♦".
You can even make more in-depth modifications if you so wish and you have what it takes to tackle undocumented file formats.

In fact, some are looking to dub this game after the translation is released, another hack could one say.
It may even have re-balance hacks. Everything is possible.

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

The update is actually ready to be recorded, showing the prolog of the game (basically everything that appears before the scene shown in the previous update) with all texts translated. However there are some things that I'd like to correct before actually recording anything; so I'll focus on some optimization for the workflow. That's why I consider this would be the best chance to add new translators to the team.

~Sky

FourOfJacks

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<snip>

GHANMI: There's no guarantee that Sky will release the necessary tools for anyone to just do that publicly. And the more I look, the less likely it seems.
NSRSM: Fonts (usually) aren't really dynamic textures that need active rendering during gameplay, so I don't see how switching platforms (emu > PSP) will make a difference. In any case, if you guys are still fine with me making a new font from scratch <snip>
SkyBladeCloud: I frequent this...strange site, with folks who translated numerous visual novels in the past. I dropped an ad of sorts, so I'll point em this way if they're interested. Don't be shocked if most of them just laugh and shrug - people tend to hate Final Fantasy these days, and most don't even know what Type-0 is.

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For those of you who wanted to see how the game runs in HD on the emulator, in English, I've uploaded this video update/test, showing the entire prologue of the game.

http://dai.ly/x14dri3

There is another update from the team, and it's the fact that we'd like to add new members to the team. More specifically, we need capable translators fluent in both Japanese and English, with free time to help us to translate the game's text. This is due to the fact that we are currently a small team (at least its active part) and we think new additions will help us to archive a completion date sooner.

Since the romhacking part of the project is perfectly stable, translators only have to edit a txt file, changing its language, from Japanese to English. It would also help us if candidates have knowledge about the Final Fantasy saga, or the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology; but this is not a requirement.

Those of you interested, feel free to add me on skype (SkyBladeCloud), I'll send a short example of how the game's text look like (kind of a test) and if you can help us, you'll be part of the team!

Regards:

~Sky

AceOfQueens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys, honestly I can't do much if the rest of you don't play ball. I haven't even received the most basic specifications for the font, let alone the rest of the stuff I'll need. I started playing around, but there's really not much else I can do.

And to reiterate, the same problems are present in Sky's 50-minute video. They're especially prominent when the current font is highlighted in red. The issue you guys are having is that there are too many stray gray pixels all over the place. You need to stick with a 2-bit font to avoid that, yet still remain "dynamic". And much like the Japanese font uses, a single-pixel stroke. I'm not sure why you all haven't tried that yet. If you're dead set on using this font instead of any other, the stroke should fix the problem.

Reactions: Solidmetalme

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: