Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

Zemekis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you guys could use another proofreader? I'm still on Winter break from college for a few weeks and I could read over things every few nights if that would help out at all. Been waiting to see this game come to life in the West and if Squeenix won't do it, I would like to do my part.

Soverance

Trophies
Website
www.soverance.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I came across this thread in a Google search looking for translation resources for Type 0... I'm currently playing through the game in Japanese and while I dont really know whats going on or what buttons I'm pressing, it's just awesome.

That being said, I feel the need to express my gratitude to the team here, knowing that a translation project is indeed underway. While I've been a huge Square fan for as long as I can remember, I have little faith that we'll see this game translated for NA/EU markets any time soon.

I'd also like to offer my services to assist the project in any way I can. While I do not speak Japanese and cannot translate, I am proficient in other areas. I'm currently a Visual and Game Programming student at the Art Institute, and have worked on a number of hacking/editing projects utilizing Square-Enix assets, including my own recently released Final Fantasy XI: Fighter. I'm not the strongest coder yet, and I can't speak Japanese, but I can definitely help out by editing images, writing documentation, proofreading, providing secondary project management, or anything else the team may need. Anything that could earn credit for the portfolio, you know?

If you feel I can be of assistance, drop me an email at [email protected], or visit my website at www.soverance.com. I look forward to hearing from you. 'Til then, I'll keep my eyes on the progress of this project, its an exciting one!

Artistan

Jack of All Trades
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And, using the identifier “lang” we can find text files. These text files always use the “ATELY” header, and I’ve mapped the file structure in the following image:

capturepdp.png

*In black -> ATELY constant header
*In grey -> Absolute pointer to the text event script file
*In pink -> Text event script size
-Then, the text data always start at 0x20
*In green -> number of text interventions
*In blue -> Entire text block size
-Then, for each intervention:
*In red -> Intervention index
*In purple -> Intervention size
*In light blue -> intervention text using a custom 16 bit encoding
-Then the next intervention following the same scheme…

In order to decode the custom 16 bit encoding, both the font and Japanese knowledge are needed, as I’m able to extract images, I have full access to the font, shown here:

Sky, a quick question regarding this. How are you reading the Text event script size, Entire text block size and the Intervention size. According to your example they should be - 3087, 43011 and 10753... but these sizes are not making sense at all...

EDIT: NM... BIG Endian vs LITTLE Endian...

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you guys could use another proofreader? I'm still on Winter break from college for a few weeks and I could read over things every few nights if that would help out at all. Been waiting to see this game come to life in the West and if Squeenix won't do it, I would like to do my part.

Help when offered is always appreciated.

Same goes for Soverance.

I started my College semester today, but I'll still be available as usual. What I do doesn't take that much time for me to do.

Reactions: Zemekis

Escobear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so excited for this I can hardly contain myself. I have no talent when it comes to coding or translating but if there is anything a regular Joe could do just let me know and I'm down to help. If not, then I wish you guys the best of luck and I'll be watching closely. Best news of the year so far :D

GuardianSoul

Translator
Trophies
Website
www.guardiansoul.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay current full list of staff.

Manager: NSRSM ,Me, the lamest of them all
Programmer:SkyBladeCloud
Translators: Hakurou,Artistan,GuardianSoul,Dunan,Aeana,Lucas
Proofreaders: coredecepts,earlynovfan

Dunan has been doing the recent translations I posted earlier. Aeana is the one who will be joining sooner or later, and Lucas is my old team leader who should be sending me stuff soon.

Just to clarify; as much as I want to translate this game, I simply don't know any Japanese aside from some very basic things.
I'd love to help out with the graphics and stuff, providing basic translations by matching the characters and guessing the translation of it (worked well so far, I even guessed the warning screen right...and if I was unsure about anything I asked Artistan), but unfortunately I'm afraid I'm not fit to serve as a translator. I could help with text inserting though, as I expect that would be a time-consuming task as well. And in worst case, I would even like to make some trailers or something like that. As long as I have the needed time and skills (and motivation) I'm willing to offer my help.

--

And just to be sure, there should be more graphics than the ones me and Artistan modified, right? The "End of Combat" (戦闘終了) text, for example? And the background images for instance, like the one for the main menu?

Artistan

Jack of All Trades
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify; as much as I want to translate this game, I simply don't know any Japanese aside from some very basic things.
I'd love to help out with the graphics and stuff, providing basic translations by matching the characters and guessing the translation of it (worked well so far, I even guessed the warning screen right...and if I was unsure about anything I asked Artistan), but unfortunately I'm afraid I'm not fit to serve as a translator. I could help with text inserting though, as I expect that would be a time-consuming task as well. And in worst case, I would even like to make some trailers or something like that. As long as I have the needed time and skills (and motivation) I'm willing to offer my help.

--

And just to be sure, there should be more graphics than the ones me and Artistan modified, right? The "End of Combat" (戦闘終了) text, for example? And the background images for instance, like the one for the main menu?

I'm starting to think that some of the 3d model texture might include some text that needs translating. - "End of Combat" (戦闘終了) text, might be one of them, or for example the 「書」logo above the Crimson Codex in the library.

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would this be more accurate?

Manager: NSRSM
Translators: Hakurou,Artistan,Dunan,Aeana,Lucas
Proofreaders: coredecepts,earlynovfan,Zemekis
Editors:GuardianSoul,Artistan

As a favor Skyblade please add this list in the Opening Post.

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer your question GuardianSoul, there should be some more graphics. There were quite a few for the RTS battles for certain key NPC enemies and allies. But the only ones we have are from the 2 file types for now.

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pixelatedtree.com
XP
Country
United States
I've delegated Hakurou to start on translating main scenario cutscene dialogue stuff by request.

Edit: I would also like to compile a list of Team staff for future reference.

Manager: NSRSM ,Me, the lamest of them all
Translators: Hakurou,Artistan,GuardianSoul
Proofreaders: coredecepts,earlynovfan

Am I missing anyone?
Ill be glad to proofread as well :)

Hakurou

雪に覆われた森に眠る白狼
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got started on translating the snaps a little over an hour ago. I'll post here once what I have is uploaded.

Reactions: rhalifax

Hakurou

雪に覆われた森に眠る白狼
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The minuscule amount I managed to do is in the folder titled "Hakurou." I'll do more later after I take a nap, haha.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I recently bought Type-0 and I am well into the game now. So far, I understand the main story, but I am unable to read the Crimson Codex and other text-only stuff since its not voiced and my kanji knowledge is abysmal.

Anyway, I wonder whether the resulting translation of this project will work with my legally bought disc version of the game or whether I will have to download a translated iso. I don't know that much about hacking, so please don't kill me if anything I said was stupid.

If you want to apply the translation you'd need a PSP running CFW (and at this point there's no real impediment to this). That being the case it's a simple matter of dumping the UMD's to ISO yourself, saving yourself time and bandwidth and whilst legally questionable, it's certainly better than downloading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4