ROM Hack Final Fantasy IV Undub

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Malc` said:
Worked fine for me, just copied the japanese voice folder over the english one leaving any other files that werent in the Jap release and repacked. My only concern is if I get quite far into the game and it crashes D:

Don't worry, save often, if it hangs just use the normal english version to get through that part and then continue with the undubbed version...

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
Kingfield said:
uclaser said:
at least they are way cooler than the english voice...=p
thats undeniable.

except in DBZ. man the jap voices are horrible.

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly agree with that. xD The japanese voices aren't good. ._.

Anyways, uh, nice find. :3 I'll be sure to try this.

Tenshi_MKII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
This is basically a more detailed guide to those who don't really understand what's going on.

*NOTE* There's no need to download the Japanese Version of Final Fantasy IV.

Things you will need:
ndstool
*Link removed*
Basic Knowledge of Command Line.
Final Fantasy IV ROM

1. Place ndstool.exe in the same folder as your rom

2. Go to Run and type cmd and go to the folder you stored it in, example "C:\FF4\" and type in this code:
Code:
ndstool -x FFIV.nds -9 arm9.bin -7 arm7.bin -y9 y9.bin -y7 y7.bin -d data -y overlay -t banner.bin -h header.bin
; where "FFIV" is how you named the rom

3. After doing that, you should have this folder called "Data". With that you should go into it and find a folder called "voice"

4. You should now extract "voice.zip" and and copy it to the "voice" folder
*NOTE* Make sure you copy all the files and overwrite the old one

5. Run "cmd" again and go to the folder where all the data is and type this code:
Code:
ndstool -c FFIV_UNDUB.nds -9 arm9.bin -7 arm7.bin -y9 y9.bin -y7 y7.bin -d data -y overlay -t banner.bin -h header.bin
; where "FFIV_UNDUB" is the output

6. After doing this, you will have a new file called FFIV_UNDUB.nds and you are done.
*NOTE* To test it properly, you can go to the Event Theater (Accessed from the Fat Chocobo) and see if it really works.

Credits:
outphase, for providing the code.
natkoden, for uploading the voice folder so we won't have to download the Japanese Rom for the sake of this.

JPH Edit: Please don't link to the files with the Japanese language, that stuff is copyrighted. I've removed the link above...I know you're new, but please be careful. Thanks!

paura

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
hello to everyone, after opening the EUR version of this game, can I replace the folder data\I with the data\N of the US version and then regenerate my file. This because the FF IV EUR version is not running under G6 Lite, so in this case I can get the game running in my own language rather then english.

many thanks in advance

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
sonicrax said:
Kingfield said:
uclaser said:
at least they are way cooler than the english voice...=p
thats undeniable.

except in DBZ. man the jap voices are horrible.

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly agree with that. xD The japanese voices aren't good. ._.

Anyways, uh, nice find. :3 I'll be sure to try this.

Goku (and Gohan's and Goten's) Japanese actress is excellent. For those of us that watched the show in Japanese and understood it, the english voice acting is like Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of Bugs Bunny.

skurai123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
What if I have a save file of the game already? Will patching this make the save useless? If that's the case I'd rather just continue on with the english voices.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
mousan said:
are japanese voices so cool?
I guess you haven't taken notice of how awful the english dub for this game is. It's almost as if 4Kids took over the dub.
This game is meant to be in Japanese, because it's the original voices, and that voiceover is far superior to the english dub.
And no it ain't for fanboys. If you want a more cinematic game experience you should stick to the japanese voices. If the gameplay is all that matters, then stay away from undubbing topics.
yaynds.gif

kamesennin23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried replacing the music with the snes BGM? I know there's a steam user who managed to accomplish it on that version, but they couldn't figure out the japanese voices. I want the best of both worlds obviously...

Edit: hahaaa, just realized this thread was 6 years old...but still can anyone point me in the right direction?

loco365

Trophies
XP
Has anyone tried replacing the music with the snes BGM? I know there's a steam user who managed to accomplish it on that version, but they couldn't figure out the japanese voices. I want the best of both worlds obviously...

Edit: hahaaa, just realized this thread was 6 years old...but still can anyone point me in the right direction?

At one time, that was something I considered doing because I found the DS' audio inferior to the SNES version. Unfortunately, I can't find a decent way to export the samples and sequences from the SNES version, let alone have the time for it right now. It is possible to do, it'll definitely take some time though.

kamesennin23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I was thinking about the appropriate source for the snes music...would it be easier to grab the music from the PSP version or no? Since that game had the option to use the original soundtrack. Also one could grab the music files from the steam BGM patch...

kamesennin23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Er, ignore my last post. I was confused about the nature of DS music (it using sequences/samples instead of audio streams). I found a utility that extracts wav samples from snes roms called SNES sound ripper 95--then I converted those to swav files using wav2swav. I found another utility--one of loveemu's spc2mid tools and used this to extract midi files from FF4's spc files. Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'm only reporting it here because I find it strange that no one has tried to do this in the past 6 years...like there's some impossible road block that I'll be facing if I keep going with this project. Anyone have any experience?

kamesennin23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ranting along by myself here :)
So if I'm understanding things correctly, the time consuming part of inserting the SNES music is the manually going through and editing each .sbnk file in the DS rom? And this is hard because the only way of knowing which bytes to import is to go through both the .sbnk and .spc (or .sfc?) files with a hex editor and to compare the ADSR, note, pan, etc. info at the correct offsets for each track of music? (And also the swar/swav number)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-