Filetrip cleanup.

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Rydian, Dec 30, 2010.

Dec 30, 2010

Filetrip cleanup. by Rydian at 1:56 AM (5,486 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Specifically the DS cheats section.
    It's so full of so many slightly-modified cheat files for so much crap nobody cares about that it's hard to find the real stuff.

I mean I could list examples, but it's almost everything. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Yes I know staff doesn't have the time for this crap, but could users have a way to vote on files, and down votes would lower placement in search results, or something like that?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I agree that FileTrip needs a clean up, but I've mostly seen it in the DS Game Saves section.

3. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I too have noticed that finding cheat files on Filetrip is difficult due to the unnecessarily large amount of cheat files available. A voting system would fix this issue. Therefore, I support this suggestion and I think everyone will.

4. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    you guys could just go to cheats.gbatemp.net for the latest cheat files..

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    This.

I don't see why you're whining, because cheats.gbatemp is way more direct and simple.

6. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    I agree, my computer always lags when I search for things in Filetrip because of the huga amount of files.

7. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    This isn't a problem that affects the cheats section only. It affects the whole of Filetrip. A good cleanup is greatly needed.

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    There's reasons to go on filetrip other than getting the single latest cheat pack, guys. [​IMG] I just used that example because it's one of the easiest to see how it's an issue.

9. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    gba and nds are pretty well organized except for a few files outside the new category headings. i was very adamant about keeping those areas organized on the old system, when the files were moved over to filetrip they pretty much stayed that way. when i find a file outside of a group i fix it. i also try to add readme information for files hosted years ago as well as change logs. i also add old versions of files which were missing from the start.

if the rest of the staff wanted to get involved, they probably would. you have to understand that cleaning up the entire system would be a huge project. i don't think any 1 person would do it and having multiple people do it would mean different organizational structures. its a good idea but not one that is going to take off because 10 people have an issue with the current structure.

-another world

10. Rydian
    OP

United States
    It's why I'm asking for users to be able to help.

11. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    you can help. at filetrip theres an option along the right side for 'flagging' a file and submitting it along with the reason it should be removed.
    i know its only file by file, and it needs to be looked at by a staff member before its removed, but at least we're (normal members) not totally helpless about getting rid of crap and duplicate files.

12. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I noticed a few GBA rom hacks in their respective sections (for Fire Red) that are prepatched GBA roms as opposed to IPS patch files. I was wondering if they needed to be flagged for deletion due to this reason, since they're technically copyrighted roms... Just thought i'd ask, i won't ask for mod power there because i wouldn't know where everything belonged for a lot of stuff, but i'll try to help flag some stuff if i notice it needs fixing.

13. Another World

Colombia
    yeah, if its a rom flag it.

-another world

14. granville

United States
    Ok, will do. [​IMG]

Wow, there are a lot more than i initially thought. The GBA romhacking section is infested with prepatched hacked Pokemon roms. That's not good... I have to extract each file separately to see whether there's a rom or a patch file inside. Most are turning out to be roms. Bleh. >_

15. Another World

Colombia
    thanks for taking the time to find that out. =).

-another world

16. granville

United States
    No problem, but i'm still finding even more uploaded commercial roms, this time in the game saves section. I'll go through a few more categories and try to sift through all the bullshit. [​IMG]

ANNNND even more in the gba homebrew games section...figures. Actually, i guess i shouldn't even be talking about this, it gives too much attention to the matter. *flags*

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    As probably the person most familiar with Filetrip aside from Costello, I agree that several sections are huge, unusable messes. Look in any of the slot-1 cart loader directories for example, and prepare to have no idea what the fuck is happening. I've proposed some solutions which would likely solve several of these issues, however, like most of us, Costello has a life outside of GBAtemp and Filetrip. As such he hasn't had a chance to implement them.

We still have about 400 games which still need to be properly sorted.

18. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I'd like to reinforce Urza's point, as most sections really are hard to navigate.
    Perhaps one solution would be to grant power to trusted members on filetrip, independent of GBAtemp status?

19. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Yeah, filetrip doesn't look that bad... until you actually go into it and look. [​IMG]

I'd be willing to spend some time in the next few days to clean it up if you all would let me.
    I mean hell, I'd just be deleting 3/4ths of the content anyways as it's a ton of duplicates.

After all the shot's been deleted perhaps we can get some recategorization done?

20. Another World

Colombia
    report dupes and we will delete them. report category changes and we will move the files. i don't think that granting users the ability to moderate is a good idea, no offense to trusted users.

-another world