OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ordered a PSU, GPU, and new optical drive from newegg.

Arrived today.

• How my old video card fits.
    oldon.jpg

• How my new video card "fits".
    newh.jpg

sad.gif

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an Nvidia one a while ago that was almost a foot long. Shit sucked. Traded it for a netbook due to my shit old PC not being compatible with it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
See, it's a dual-slot card... but the second slot isn't actually connected to any exhaust or anything, so I could cut that part of...

But then there's the issue of the CPU heatsink being so damn large and in the way. But it's cool, my processor's only a 1.86GHZ C2D so I could possibly cut part of the heatsink off or just hammer it to the side if I got the right tools...

But right at the base of the heatsink there's a row of like 5 caps that might block the base of the card.

And according to Originality and another person my case is BTX (which explains why I have to flip my computer to the "wrong" side to open it)...

Going to shut down and open my PC and take some video of the inside so other people can give more suggestions.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA_zG7n-tVI&feature=related[/youtube]

Sorry, I had to do that, but yeah, it looks too big to fit in there.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Rydian said:
And according to Originality and another person my case is BTX (which explains why I have to flip my computer to the "wrong" side to open it)...
For reference, the motherboard is BTX form factor, whilst the case itself is just BTX compliant (meaning it can fit BTX motherboards inside, but not ATX motherboards). I know I'm being picky, but there is a difference!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just get rid of the CPU heatsink altogheter and buy a cheap normal (and small) 10$ 775 heatsink?

BTW, my videocard is something like two times bigger and 1.5x longer than yours, had to cut away some of my nice Asus Vento case to make it fit
frown.gif

Next time I'm gonna buy a big-ass EATX case or something.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Good news; the fan on the video card has multiple positions and I simply needed to unscrew it and screw it in a different position, and it fits!

Bad news: 4-2-3-3 beep code upon startup with the video card in. Unable to find that beep code in any of the manuals, I googled, and if these threads are correct then the video card will simply not work on the machine.

And the latest BIOS update on lenovo's site for this computer model is from 2009 and I've apllied it, doesn't fix it.

And I went into the motherboard settings and set the graphics from auto to PCI, doesn't fix it.

And it's not the slot because the PCI-E GeForce 7300LE I have in there right now works.

And I've voided the warranty on the card by removing the plastic housing to move the fan.

wut do?

thela_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
And I've voided the warranty on the card by removing the plastic housing to move the fan.

wut do?
you could always feign ignorance. "when i got it, the fan was in a weird position. the warranty was already avoided. i din du nutin!"

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm looking for work-arounds (and not seeing much), since it seems you're stuck with the card, you might consider a cheap motherboard replacement. Something like that may be a good enough alternative without breaking the bank or leaving you with a worthless card.

Scratch that.. That board won't take a C2D.. sorry. The ones you need are a tad more expensive.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's any way to make it work with your hardware using Lenovo's bios. The only other idea I have, and it's a really bad idea, is to take the bios of a board with the same q965 express chipset and try to force it on your board. That's sort of a hail mary. I've done things like that and had them work. It could also completely screw up that motherboard so bad that it'll never boot again.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Remind myself to stay the hell away from those custom OEM motherboards. Not supporting a 3rd party GFX card? This is madness!

Have you tried the graphic card on another PC with a PCIe just to ensure that the videocard is working properly?
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning