Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bought FF9 from PSN and it's giving me trouble on 5.50 Prometheus. Sound often doesn't kick in on intro vid and I get a black screen on the 3rd screen of the initial section as Vivi. Rather irritating.

I generally don't fiddle with the settings, but for this I'll make an exception. Any ideas what settings I should try tweaking to experiment with this issue? Driver type, disk load speed, etc? Which should I look at changing? I'm a newb at this.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The versions of FF8 and FF9 on PSN work perfectly fine on OFW 6.20, but exhibit odd problems under 5.50 GEN (or Prometheus in your case). You can tinker with popsloader and make your own FF8/FF9, but if you want to play the versions on PSN specifically, it's best that you're on OFW.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
FFIX works fine on CFW though....well it worked fine for 5.00M33-6...no idea whether it's the Prometheus tinkering or GEN firmware that give the issues.

VIII is random on most firmwares though...

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
on 5.03prometheus no freezes/black screens yet.
and for the intro vid's to have audio: load disc 2 first.
sounds odd, but if you start a new game using disc 2 sound loads fine(at least, as long as you don't exit the game) even though it will still load everything from disc 1(it tells you to switch back)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
FFIX works fine on CFW though....well it worked fine for 5.00M33-6...no idea whether it's the Prometheus tinkering or GEN firmware that give the issues.

VIII is random on most firmwares though...

Yeah, the FFIX you make yourself works fine, but the PSN version seems to have some sort of fuckery going on that needs 6.xx.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually did mean the PSN version. The EU PSN release of IX at least seems to work fine on 5.00 M33-6, which i assume is what Blaze is trying out.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
using the eu version via 5.50 prometheus on an original fat 1000 model of some type. Is there a setting I should alter for better compatibility?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could have saved yourself a lot of headache if you'd have been patient and made the eboot like everyone suggested to you in your previous thread. now you have an eboot you paid money for that doesn't seem to work on your CFW.

my best suggestion would be to get yourself a pandora battery and just update to OFW to make use of the money you spent or just play it on your PS3.

As xist said, it works on 5.00 m33-6 and i've read that it works fine on 5.50 GEN-D3. maybe you should try a more compatible and tested CFW or take the time to make it yourself following the psx on psp compatibility list.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK then, next question. If it is indeed confirmed working on other firmwares, is it possible to downgrade from Prometheus to one where it will work, what would I lose in the process, and how is it to be achieved? Currently on my memory card is as follows, PSP wise:

Fat Princess Fistful of Cake, which I can afford to delete 'cause the story mode doesn't work and thanks to my little brother I have it on PS3 anyway.
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny
Harvest Moon Hero of Leaf Valley
Wipeout Pulse
Heatseeker, which I'm about to delete anyway 'cause it's cack.

Will any of those stop working if I downgrade to a firmware that is confirmed able to run FF9? Which firmware do I need? Where do I get it? Will I need a Pandora Battery?

OK, that was more like half a dozen questions, but my old man is being a douche about the PS3 again so I really need the PSP version up and running.

EDIT: I'm told I can use something called HellCat's Recovery Flasher to downgrade from Prometheus to something else, and from there install firmware confirmed working with FF9. Is this true, and if so what are the risks to the system, which firmware should I go with for my current loadout, and is there anything else you think I should know?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blaze163 said:
Will any of those stop working
If you downgrade to 5.00 M-33-6, Fat Princess & Harvest Moon would need to be manually patched with prometheus IIRC, and Soul Calibur needs some sort of custom patch for its protection.

QUOTE(Blaze163 @ Jul 25 2010, 04:03 AM) EDIT: I'm told I can use something called HellCat's Recovery Flasher to downgrade from Prometheus to something else, and from there install firmware confirmed working with FF9. Is this true, and if so what are the risks to the system, which firmware should I go with for my current loadout, and is there anything else you think I should know?

Yes, this is correct. Get Hellcat's Recovery Flasher v1.60, which already includes 5.00 M33-6 in the download. Downgrading is as simple as clicking on the option to install that firmware. There are no risks, simply make sure your PSP remains powered throughout the flash.

When you're finished FF9, you can use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to go back to GEN if you so please as well.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I should do this:

- Download the HellCat Recovery Flasher and 5.00 M33 firmware.
- Install.
- Test FF9.
- If it works, complete FF9 then switch back to Prometheus when I'm done, leaving the other games until I'm back on Prometheus.
- If it's not working, simply upgrade to Prometheus again and delete FF9 in favour of something else, playing FF9 through my PS3 instead.

Risk is minimal and anything done can be undone with a simple upgrade. Sounds like my sort of plan.

EDIT: Right, I have the following:

- Hellcats recovery flasher 1.60
- CFW 5.00 M33-6
- CFW 5.50 GEN D3
- CFW 5.50 Prometheus V4

As I understand it, I put HCF in the GAME folder, along with the firmware I want to install, in this case CFW 5.00M33-6, then run it from the XMB. If it works, woot, play FF9 whenever I want, see y'all in a month. If not, update to GEN D3, try again, if that also fails update to Prometheus V4 and pretend the whole thing never happened.

Have I got that right?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Or get the confirmed working PSN eboot and stop reflashing firmwares when you don't really have to?

You'll also need the 5.00 OFW eboot.pbp btw...

From the readme which you should you know, read...

QUOTE said:
Copy the RECOVERY folder from the archive to /PSP/GAME/ on your
memstick, so that you get a /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/ folder containing the
apps EBOOT on your stick.
Now copy the official Sony 3.71, 4.01 and/or 5.00 Update EBOOT, renamed
as 371.PBP (401.PBP, 500.PBP), into the RECOVERY folder as well, or into the
memsticks root folder.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If I revert to official firmware then none of my other stuff will work, such as my GBA emulator, my other PSP games, etc. Nor will my UMD if Dissidia. It's not worth giving up the rest of my collection for the sake of one game.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You misunderstand - Just read the readme....you need the actual firmware eboot (the OFW 5.00 PBP) for the flash to 5.00M33-6 as CFW firmwares are merely instructions on rebuilding bits of it. No one said anything about OFW but you...

The Recovery Flasher readme is very straightfoward, although i have no idea why you feel that you absolutely must be using 5.50 Prometheus....

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, so I need OFW 5.00 file to be able to update to M33-6, which will apparantly run FF9.

I'm starting to think FF9 simply isnt worth the hassle...Might just delete the PSP file and replace the GB and a half with some new PSP games, play FF9 on the PS3. I've got FF8 coming in the post anyway, hopefully will be here in the morning. Plus if Thursday goes well I'll have a job, thus less time for games. Plus I have Jess to keep me amused. So maybe this isn;t worth F'ing about with my firmware all afternoon.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It'll take 2 minutes, will improve your games if you insist on using CSO's for everything and perform better with many PSX game conversions.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So how does this work? I put the Hellcat thing on my card, along with 5.00 OFW and M33-6. I run the recovery thing to get to OFW 5.00, upgrade to M33-6 from there, try FF9, if it works woot, if not how do I get back to Prometheus from there? Do I just upgrade to GEN D3 and from there to Prometheus?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If it doesn't work and you want to play it you may as well get the version of FFIX you found earlier and play it since it will run better from M33.

If you insist on causing more trouble for yourself in future with potential PSX issues and CSO lags then yes you can use the HCRF addon to take you to GEN D3 and from there Prometheus again (again...why?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.