Ff4 complete collection major error :/

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by EnigmaBlade, Jul 6, 2011.

Jul 6, 2011
  1. EnigmaBlade
    OP

Member EnigmaBlade GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    This is really pissing me off.. i have a psp 1000 with 6.39 pro b7 cfw (i had to update from 6.20 to even play it) Im playing ff4 complete collection. (jap) basically, when i try the data install option it comes up with an internal error? wtf? also every now and then the game will freeze with a black screen? help?

2. lordgoober

Newcomer lordgoober Advanced Member

United States
    data installs aren't necessary when playing from the memory stick. As a matter of fact, even PSN purchased digital games give that same error code if you try to use the data install IIRC.

3. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    It sounds like you are doing something terribly wrong. FFIV Complete Collection should work fine on 6.20 PRO-B7. Listen to lordgoober too. Never data install when you are running the game off the memory stick. It is fairly pointless, as the game is already running from the memory stick.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Peace Walker refutes this advice though....

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Data Install usually uncompresses the data in the UMD (AND PSN versions) so, yeah it would give noticeable shorter loading times.

Monster Hunter and like xist said, Peace Walker are examples of this.

6. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Fair enough. There are some exceptions. I think it's safe to assume that if the game won't let you do a data install, it is likely the game doesn't need it. Most games don't need it either. The few games that it actually helps are likely listed somewhere for convenience.

Edit: Wouldn't the ISO you are running already be decompressed? An EBOOT (PSN games) and presumably a UMD feature some form of compression, where as the ISO would not. That's what makes data install improving certain games confusing. There is really no reason why it should, it just sort of does.

7. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    ISO is just an exact copy of the UMD.

It doesn't magically decompress when making it.

8. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    The idea is still there that data install exists primarily for it to read from the memory stick, as it can read faster from that than from the UMD drive. If you do a data install of something already on the memory stick, does it actually take up more space than before (by that, I mean the data install vs the ISO size wise)? Just curious.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    The install data in the ISO isn't touched at all by the game when playing without installing to memory stick. (You sometimes see uploaders rip install data out of the game to save space).

And to answer your question, yeah it does take up more space.
    But those few seconds are kinda needed on games like Peace Walker.

When playing with my cousin (I have a Go, he has a 1000), I deleted the install data to try out another game and forgot to install it again.
    When entering different areas, his always loaded a few seconds faster thus leaving me out and when we 'completed' the game, the final cutscene on mine was a few seconds delayed.

I don't know if it would work or if anyone has tried it but if you really need that extra space, there is always a possibility that installing the data and then delete the data from the ISO could work.

10. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Cool stuff. I feel like I know a little bit more now.

Regardless, for the OP, maybe you should try a different ISO. Have you considered that maybe something is wrong with the one you have?