Fez Dev to Japanese Developers: "Your games just suck."

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While the merits of his statement are certainly debatable, wow... what a dick.

You can't really debate it considering the Japanese effectively pioneered gaming as a whole. I mean, if you look at all the crap that pre-dated the NES, it's hard to argue that the Japanese studios didn't have a major impact in the progression of gaming development as well as a higher rate of consistency for quality releases.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the merits of his statement are certainly debatable, wow... what a dick.

You can't really debate it considering the Japanese effectively pioneered gaming as a whole. I mean, if you look at all the crap that pre-dated the NES, it's hard to argue that the Japanese studios didn't have a major impact in the progression of gaming development as well as a higher rate of consistency for quality releases.

While Japanese developers have no doubt been influential, past accomplishments and its state today (which, as I said, is very much up to debate) are two very different things.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I paused my game of FF V Advanced to read about this shithead?!? Dammit, gimme my 5 minutes of grinding back!!!

As for this Fish guy...

Great quote to be remembered by, brah. Now the Japanese are gonna eat you raw. With chopsticks.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just meh. Japanese games tend to have good imagination and story telling (and lots of other things) while as western games tend to have a solid story and good gameplay. And vice versa. Look at games like FF, ME, AC, etc. All have good stories and are made by a variety of people. Hell AC even has a notice at the start of the game that "This game was made by people from different cultures, religions, etc". So much for generic games, hopefully that dude makes a game with just imagination. No story or gameplay :creep:

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
what is this fez oh yet another shitty indie game which will never be better than real games. what a retard...looks like one too :lol:
The only game better than Binding of Isaac that came out last year was Deus Ex.
Just because a game is made by a small team, doesn't mean it can't be excellent. I've put more hours into BOI than Skyrim, for example.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because a game is made by a small team, doesn't mean it can't be excellent. I've put more hours into BOI than Skyrim, for example.

Well there's also Portal 2, Skyrim, Saint's Row 3, Portal 2, Akrham City, Portal 2, and did I mention Portal 2?

I don't care if it's indie or not, Binding of Isaac was definitely not the best game last year.

Reactions: 2 people

Gnargle

Trophies
XP
Country

Well there's also Portal 2, Skyrim, Saint's Row 3, Portal 2, Akrham City, Portal 2, and did I mention Portal 2?

I don't care if it's indie or not, Binding of Isaac was definitely not the best game last year.
Portal 2: Dumbed-down story-centric version of Portal 1. A great game, but it could have been so much more had Valve got some playtesters with IQs above 10.
Skyrim: Fun but ultimately repetitive WRPG. Mediocre main story writing. Great side quests. Bested by Deus Ex and The Witcher 2 by far.
Saint's Row 3: Shitty lolsorandom sequel to the excellent Saint's Row 2. Tried too hard to be funny, and suffered for it. Took out everything that made Saint's Row 2 great.
I didn't play Arkham City.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all these games. I think 2011 is probably one of the best years that video games have ever had. But I found myself having a lot more fun with the Binding Of Isaac than any other game lat year, Deus Ex excluded. Even Skyward Sword, which has supplanted Wind Waker as my favourite Zelda ever.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what the hell is a xenophobe?

xenophobe, noun, a person who hates or fears foreigners or strangers

And to all those bi***ing about Japanese games being unoriginal/boring, etc, what about the two million Call of Duty or Battlefield FPS games that are released every year? We all know they're all about WWII, some generic war against aliens or have some run of the mill post-apocalyptic storyline. And this xenophobic Fez guy? He can sod off.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Taking half a decade to make a slightly interesting indie platformer puts you above an entire nation? Who knew.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Portal 2: Dumbed-down story-centric version of Portal 1. A great game, but it could have been so much more had Valve got some playtesters with IQs above 10.
Skyrim: Fun but ultimately repetitive WRPG. Mediocre main story writing. Great side quests. Bested by Deus Ex and The Witcher 2 by far.
Saint's Row 3: Shitty lolsorandom sequel to the excellent Saint's Row 2. Tried too hard to be funny, and suffered for it. Took out everything that made Saint's Row 2 great.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all these games. I think 2011 is probably one of the best years that video games have ever had. But I found myself having a lot more fun with the Binding Of Isaac than any other game lat year, Deus Ex excluded. Even Skyward Sword, which has supplanted Wind Waker as my favourite Zelda ever.
Hum... Skyrim is an open world rpg, it's meant to be like that, it's strong point has never been the main story but rather the exploring you can do on it, there's dozens of sidequests and dungeons to explore, you won't get bored of it anytime soon if you enjoy wrpgs in general, Deus Ex was good, but the FPS view kinda ruined part of the game for me, I like the game, but I don't like the fact it uses FPS view. Saints Row 3 was epic, I didn't really like 2 but I loved 3, the characters and the new city was awesome, I spent lots of time just walking around stealing cars just to tune them up and put them in my garage. I played Binding of Isaac, it was a good game, but that's that and like you said, it's your opinion.

Gnargle

Trophies
XP
Country

Hum... Skyrim is an open world rpg, it's meant to be like that, it's strong point has never been the main story but rather the exploring you can do on it, there's dozens of sidequests and dungeons to explore, you won't get bored of it anytime soon if you enjoy wrpgs in general, Deus Ex was good, but the FPS view kinda ruined part of the game for me, I like the game, but I don't like the fact it uses FPS view. Saints Row 3 was epic, I didn't really like 2 but I loved 3, the characters and the new city was awesome, I spent lots of time just walking around stealing cars just to tune them up and put them in my garage. I played Binding of Isaac, it was a good game, but that's that and like you said, it's your opinion.
You're quite correct, it's all down to personal preference. I just think saying that all indie games are garbage is narrow-minded and stupid.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also like to point out that not enjoying a small sector of a country's culture does not make you "xenophobic".

I can't say I enjoy any music that comes out of, I dunno, France. But that doesn't make me xenophobic towards France, it just means I don't like their music.

Culture is a shit load more than gaming. Music, fashion, religion, all this stuff factors in, a lot more than gaming does.

So maybe we're all exaggerating by saying he's "xenophobic" rather than "has a shit taste in games".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj