Few Questions about System Menu patching/updating

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ayojoe, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ayojoe
    OP

Newcomer ayojoe Advanced Member

United States
    Reference to what was done to my Wii is in my sig, in order from left to right. For specifics on what was done to patch my System Menu, check the very last line of the bold blue paragraph.

I just want to ask a few questions considering if there ever is a stellar Wii system update (like the cool additions from 4.0) I want to update to, or if a game requires an update, so that I'll know what to do. I'm getting Metroid Prime Trilogy this week and I assume it will have a disc update, but I'm unsure whether or not it matters.

I do have my menu patched to block disc updates among other things, but here's my questions..

1. I have blocked updates from The Conduit and will probably block them from Metroid Prime Trilogy. Should I use WUFE to extract the games updates and install them?

2. Is it safe/normal to manually install/update IOS? What if they are the same? (example, if I install the same IOS from The Conduit and Metroid, would it just overwrite?)

3. Will WUFE only extract IOS wads from the game disc, because I heard Conduit has a MIOS update on it too among other things (probably to block GCN piracy). Do I only need to install IOS' and is it good to update them even if the games don't need them? Which IOS' should I install if it has multiple ones? My IOS35 and IOS36 are trucha-patched.

4. Since I used StartPatch to patch my menu for features, if I ever wanted to install a new System Menu would it be smart to uninstall those patches and then update first to prevent problems or does it not matter? Would my system mess up from anything else in my sig like patched ES_identify or trucha-patches, CIOS, etc..

5. Kind of off topic, but I think I have BootMii beta 2 installed on my Wii, and I used it to back up my NAND. Is it possible to use the new beta 3 of BootMii via replacing a start up file or something, or am I stuck with what I used then and still have now?

2. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Answers in bold.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.1

Check that out for a basic guide, go to 4.0 to see the difference.

3. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    Thanks a lot man, btw I seen your work/help with the Smash community, you do a real good job on that.

4. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Thank you, glad to help.

And I think a lot of people have prefered hackmii beta2 to 3 because of an issue with restoring old NAND dumps after updating.

5. azeazezar

Newcomer azeazezar Member

Belgium
    If you install bootmii v3, make a new nand backup. the old one isn't compatible

6. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    Can you/would it be smart to install a new BootMii over a previous one though? Would you do it the same way through bannerbomb?

If I don't change my BootMii version: My NAND dump is pretty out-dated in terms of when I did compared to what I have modded on my Wii now. What if I wanted to do another NAND Dump, would that be safe? I just want a more updated dump so I wouldn't have to do all my mods over in case I restore my Wii from a brick.

7. 0M39A

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    no, the old backup is compatible, the new one wont be without editing it using a hex editor.