Hardware few more rumours before e3...

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seen this on GoNintendo, and here is what is being said...

*Video Chat is available, but must be accessed from the main menu of the system- believeable if the Wii U controller still has the cameras
*Voice Commands are available - will be interesting to see if this is limited to the system menu or if games could use this
*Facial recognition-simimlar to the 3ds i imagine this maybe used for making a Mii or something
*Ability to suspend games-seems a given considering the Wii and the 3ds can do this already
*Share achievements with friends by sending videos or screenshots with drawings on them-when it says achivements i do wonder if it refers to a point system whihc we have on the xbox and ps3 or if it means some random shit like replays or something
*Watch a friend play online-seems easy enough to believe
*Multitasking-seems a given seeing as the 3ds can do this to a degree

What's everyone else's take on these rumours then?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

*Voice Commands are available - will be interesting to see if this is limited to the system menu or if games could use this

*Ability to suspend games-seems a given considering the Wii and the 3ds can do this already
*Share achievements with friends by sending videos or screenshots with drawings on them-when it says achivements i do wonder if it refers to a point system whihc we have on the xbox and ps3 or if it means some random shit like replays or something

*Snip everything else*

Sounds like Nintendo has been watching Onlive and Kinect carefully :D

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

*Snip everything else*

Sounds like Nintendo has been watching Onlive and Kinect carefully :D
Or the guy that spreaded the intitial rumour....

Clarky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you can't suspend on a Wii... ?

pressing the home button on some games does allow you to suspend the game, i admit you can't do fuck all but there is the save state guff been mentioned on some vc games too besides n64 games i beleve

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the "suspend" on wii games is not what they're talking about for other and newer systems. The home menu in Wii games is literally built into the games themselves since the Wii has no way to overlay it's home menu onto anything else. When a game is running, that's all that's running. Everything you see until you reset the system comes from the game disco/ISO, including the graphics/programming used in the home menu.

http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/

And VC stuff is not the wii "suspending" the game, it's the emulator that the wii runs saving state so it can be restored the next time the program runs (as the emulator program closes, it's not suspended).

Reactions: 1 person

Clarky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the "suspend" on wii games is not what they're talking about for other and newer systems. The home menu in Wii games is literally built into the games themselves since the Wii has no way to overlay it's home menu onto anything else. When a game is running, that's all that's running. Everything you see until you reset the system comes from the game disco/ISO, including the graphics/programming used in the home menu.

http://hackmii.com/2...get-any-better/

And VC stuff is not the wii "suspending" the game, it's the emulator that the wii runs saving state so it can be restored the next time the program runs (as the emulator program closes, it's not suspended).

aye I know that, I imagine the suspend they are talking about here is more similar to what you see on a 3ds, xbox 360 or ps3 where you can use some other functions while still in game. All i grasped straws at was that the Wii does have some basic function of stopping a game without using a pause option, although the part about the home menu being on the disc images is new to me but would explain to me why the menu is different from game to game

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds multitask? No, it doesn't do it to any degree. When you hit the home button, it suspends the software in the background (symbolically and literally). The game that was suspended does not continue to be processed, as in, it saves the program state, stops, then resumes when it is told to. It *cannot* resume while the system menu is being accessed. Also the system refuses to run more than one app at once, so there is no multitasking ability built into the 3ds

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3ds multitask? No, it doesn't do it to any degree. When you hit the home button, it suspends the software in the background (symbolically and literally). The game that was suspended does not continue to be processed, as in, it saves the program state, stops, then resumes when it is told to. It *cannot* resume while the system menu is being accessed. Also the system refuses to run more than one app at once, so there is no multitasking ability built into the 3ds
True, the only thing it can do while you run the game, is using the internet browser, check your friend list, notes, etc.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Technically, it is multitasking if it can get information like friends that log on, notifications, etc, all while you're playing a game.

D

Deleted_171835

The 3DS does support multi-tasking although it's more like iOS multitasking where the open app enters a suspended mode. You can open other apps although the selection is limited (Browser, Notes, Friends List, etc.) presumably because of the amount of RAM.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It is multitasking to a degree since one of the cores is dedicated for quick access to the FC list, the browser, the cameras etc.
However in the future I expect fewer games to be compatible with this since we already have a confirmation from Square Enix that the second core can be unlocked and be used for processing the game itself now.

It's what's commonly referred to as multitasking anyway and the game is only partially frozen so that's why it requires extra power.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Technically, it is multitasking if it can get information like friends that log on, notifications, etc, all while you're playing a game.

Not if it isn't giving any CPU time to the game while you are doing it. Iphone's do the same thing to give the illusion of multitasking by freezing apps in the background then resuming them later.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Not if it isn't giving any CPU time to the game while you are doing it. Iphone's do the same thing to give the illusion of multitasking by freezing apps in the background then resuming them later.

But there is CPU time given to the OS to run it's own stuff while a game a running, no? DOS is an example of non-multi-tasking, because it can only run one thing at any given time, with no sharing of resources. The DS is in the same boat. The 3DS, iPhone, etc are all considered multi-tasking, because they are handling multiple tasks at the same time, whether or not they are actually running. If the 3DS wasn't multi-tasking, then you couldn't suspend a game at all to do other things. Sure, it is limited to what it can do in that state, but it is still multi-tasking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.