Favourite game nobody in the world has played in the last year?

tempy_thinker.png

There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.

Various philosophies have some variation on that theme, some saying not to speak their name lest you recall them from the afterlife, the very notion of "great man theory" from Thomas Carlyle, one of the major ways of viewing history, is pretty much this as well. I have pondered it however for works of art/media before, indeed having many books from the 1700s and beyond it is a real wonder, and thus today we have the equivalent discussion for computer games. Statistically speaking then however many thousands of games are made per year, however many years games have been going on for, the skew towards new and popular... there are going to be some that reach some variation on this sort of theme.

To that end what game that in all probability nobody else in the world would have played, thought about or terribly considered in the last year is among your favourite games? Preferably make it something that achieved a modest level of popularity, or some kind of influence, but you can go obscure if you want. They need not be good games, games that pushed boundaries or anything like that.
If you want to see if someone posted a let's play, a review, an essay piece, a gushing on a forum somewhere then so be it, however this is going to be more of a thought exercise. I will give that in all probability nobody has considered or played some rare translation of an original xbox game (several were made into rare European languages) but at the same time someone might have done the base games. Can be an unknown sequel or an obscure port though. Also no lost games or online only games where nobody remade the servers. Does want to be a game you have played, that continues to inform how you look at games or that you might reference in a list somewhere if someone asks about things there.

As a secondary question there are many around here who have libraries and experience going back to the 70s and 80s. Doubtless there is some favourite from the Commodore 64 or something that nobody has played there. Would you think those have an easier time than today where there are a thousand maybe not asset flips but something not so far removed that get their time in the spotlight and go?
For instance random selection from the bucket of C64 and other tape games
randomc64.JPG

Now none of those are my favourites (other than the random inclusion of Turrican II I might struggle to tell you details of the rest) and none would have been played by me any time recently. However one could be someone's favourite out there somewhere.
At the same time among many failures then firing the random number generator at popular seller of PC games known as Steam got me "Megadimension Neptunia VII Ultimate Weapon Pack" and "Barbarroja", a 1 review (not recently) strategy game wherein you get to play through the 1941-1945 Germany-Russia front of world war 2. Seems though that Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, a 2006 first person shooter also in the list of successful hits, got 11 reviews in the last 30 days to bring it to 1186 total, though it is from the devs of Killing Floor and Maneater so there is that.
Looking at my collection of mostly gamecube, xbox, xbox 360 and PS4 games then while I might like Gun Valkyrie, Lost Kingdoms II or Resonance of Fate to be better known they are unlikely to reach the status required at this point in time (maybe in a few decades). Maybe in the PC section there is "Line of Sight Vietnam", one of the few games to have a truly positive experience in online shooting multiplayer for me (it's Steam page and Good old Games page says otherwise though and was remembered by many more).
Unknown name borderline text adventure educational game from the 386 school computers wherein you had to make a skeleton key from a limited number of blanks and references for working keys to explore a castle will have to be it, it is certainly something that pops into mind every so often. Might also still be the most realistic lock picking in any game I have ever played.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mad Rat Dead

The second I saw this game, I knew it was gonna be amazing, it's so damn stylish and funky, the music is an absolute banger.
I love rhythm games, I love platformers, and this is a perfect blend of both, jumping and moving to the beat, wish there were more games like this.
Unfortunately, as it is with these kinda games, almost no one knows or has played it, which is a damn shame, not only is the game hella fun, it also has an interesting story and charming characters.
Guess more people would've knew about it if there was a PC port, but its only on PS4 and Switch. So guess if any of ya has one of them two consoles, buy the damn thing, lol.
ezgif-7-4ae82afc57ae.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I’ve been playing some Little Dragon Café lately and loving it. You can hug a dragon in that game, so obviously it’s my favorite game now. Don’t know how many people are playing it right now, but that’s my selling point, you can hug a dragon

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
there is this game that I always come back to: https://www.gog.com/game/litil_divil

I played on IBM PC back on the day, it was a DOS game. I loved it, even that it is not really special or anything.

After windows 98 era it became difficult to play DOS games, so I stopped to play my DOS games, this one included.

Some years ago this game was published on GOG and I got it again, and I still play sometimes, but looks like nobody else do. The last GOG review is from 2018. So yeah, pretty much a dead game on philosophical terms (as OP said).

5f5b17a9f4d182df0e628cbf5818ade9d84fc345695102ca08279d09d97f5ce2_bg_crop_1366x655.jpg

Last edited by Deleted member 194275,

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
shaman-king-master-of-spirits-2.webp

This is a super obscure metroidvania, tough as nails, that is surprisingly good in a way? I played it to 85% completion last month. It borrows a lot from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, of all games. It's maybe worth playing for hardcore fans of the genre like me.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Boppin'
boppin_9.png

A lost treasure of my early childhood years. Originally I found the shareware version on a random DOS games website, but recently I found the most expansive version of the game, after finally remembering how it was called.
The game kiiiinda aged well? It does get boring pretty fast, but when it comes to context, it surely was a game of it's time.
The version I played was also uncensored.

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Judging from the sales alone and whatnot, I'd say few people have been playing it from the start really, lol

latest

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Spout

Very simple game, but it's quite difficult due to the physics.
I like this game so much that I ported it to the 3DS just so I could play it on the go.
I have no idea how I heard of this game though, but I'm glad I did, as it seems to be quite obscure.

Reactions: ZipMartin

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was actually the first game I could ever claim ownership on, since I got it for my birthday (all my other games I had to share with my brother >:( )

Project S-11 for the GBC. I don't remember ever beating it, but that music was fucking great. I also think it's a safe bet that no one has played this obscure mediocre game with a forgettable generic name in the past year. Whenever I get the itch to hear it again, I usually have to spend a few seconds trying to remember the name.

Click play and thank me later.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mad Rat Dead

The second I saw this game, I knew it was gonna be amazing, it's so damn stylish and funky, the music is an absolute banger.
I love rhythm games, I love platformers, and this is a perfect blend of both, jumping and moving to the beat, wish there were more games like this.
Unfortunately, as it is with these kinda games, almost no one knows or has played it, which is a damn shame, not only is the game hella fun, it also has an interesting story and charming characters.
Guess more people would've knew about it if there was a PC port, but its only on PS4 and Switch. So guess if any of ya has one of them two consoles, buy the damn thing, lol.
ezgif-7-4ae82afc57ae.gif

oh huh
i've played the demo, but never knew it was that unpopular. dang shame really
especially when this exists now

good mashup album btw

my contribution to this is thread is Yo-kai watch
yo-kai-watch-cover.cover_large.jpg
When I first heard of it, I just thought it was a pokemon ripoff. Found the game years later at Five Below, picked it up and enjoyed it ever since.
Story's a bit childish, but if you can get past that, it's pretty enjoyable. So enjoyable, in fact, that I've bought 2 (Psychic specters) and 3 digitally, as well as having the chance to have the VA of the main character, Johnny Yong Bosch, sign my copy of the game.
Nowadays, I've seen barely seen any recognition of the games and the 4th entry in the series, the sequels to its spin-off and the remake of the first game are locked in Japan.
It's a shame too.
I dunno, I could be delusional/ looking through rose-tinted glasses and it could be more popular/ less popular for a reason than I thought. From what I've seen though, its a small chance to say the least.
(sorry, this turned from 'game underrated' to gushing over game. i say its acceptable)

Last edited by 1B51004,

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I could call any of my favorite games obscure or seldom played, perhaps toy commander for the sega dreamcast. No one seems to have played it. Still a favorite to this day.

As favorites tend to change over time I can also include a game that was a favorite as little kid. Treasue mountain. No idea how popular it ever was but it's in that vein of educational games you mentioned.

I spent many hours as a child sacking elves with a butterfly net to collect coins and work my way up the mountain spelling words.

All my favorite games nowadays are also liked by most everyone else.

Reactions: Henx

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Boppin'
View attachment 274653

A lost treasure of my early childhood years. Originally I found the shareware version on a random DOS games website, but recently I found the most expansive version of the game, after finally remembering how it was called.
The game kiiiinda aged well? It does get boring pretty fast, but when it comes to context, it surely was a game of it's time.
The version I played was also uncensored.
BOPPINNNNNNNN!

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
oh huh
i've played the demo, but never knew it was that unpopular. dang shame really
Lol, well, it has a lil bit of fandom, yeah, I mean more like it ain't as recognized as the more mainstream games or what, which I feel is a shame, the game's fantastic and unique, but 'cus it ain't the newest triple ay garbage or what, not many know about it.
Would love if it had more popularity behind it, so maybe more games of the sort could spawn or what, ahah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ