Homebrew Question FAT32 vs. exFAT, which one is safer? +other issues

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I've been using a FAT32-formatted 256GB SD card for my Switch. That hadn't been a problem for a little while, but recently I needed to move a file larger than FAT32 can allow, so someone recommended reformatting to exFAT. I've heard about exFAT before, and how it's better for larger files and storages, but I've also heard that there are compatibility issues with some homebrew softwares and that files can easily be corrupted. What do I do? Is what I've heard about exFAT true, or is it safe to switch?

I've also had trouble recently with USB installing; although my PC can detect when my Switch is plugged in, my Switch can't seem to tell when it's plugged in to my PC, as showed by Tinfoil and GoldLeaf. I can use nxmtp fine, though, so I'm confused why the former two didn't work. Anyone know a fix?

Thank you to anyone for any and all information pertaining to my issues.

1basti1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stay with fat32. Split files If you need to. There are .XCI and .nsp splitters.

exFat will get you in trouble if you use homebrew.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
The exfat drivers got updated in firmware 9.2.0 so you shouldn’t have an issue anymore. I’ve used exfat all the time can honestly say I’ve never had any issues.

Last edited by Reecey,

1basti1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The drivers got updated? Do you have a link?

I had problems with exFat before. Many people had. Nearly everyone recommends fat32.

But do what you want to do.

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not know a nsp splitter but you can use goldleaf to install nsp files directly from your computer (you do not need to copy those files to your sd card).
How?
I never used an nsp splitter. Only .xci Sorry.
its ok, thank you for bringing them to my attention, anyway. I can do the research

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>which one is safer
>fat32
>u dint anserd anthg you troll :hateit:
What I asked is "What do I do? Is what I've heard about exFAT true, or is it safe to switch?"
Just saying "use fat32" without explaining why doesn't help me at all. I still know nothing about what makes fat32 safer, and I don't know if what I've heard about exfat is true. Although your advice may be good advice, I have no way of knowing that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://github.com/developersu/ns-usbloader That's the tool that allows you to install from usb
my Switch can't seem to tell when it's plugged in to my PC.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stick with FAT32. Either figure out how to fix your USB problem, or use a splitter.

Even SciresM, lead developer of Atmosphere, has advised people not to use exFAT. It's practically common knowledge here. Don't risk it and come crying over here later when you lose all your stuff.

I've used this splitter before: https://gbatemp.net/threads/legal-nsp-splitter-for-fat32.520213/

But you'll need Python3 installed for it to work. I call it from the command line, but I think if you set things up correctly in Windows you can just drag-and-drop the NSP file on top of it.

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stick with FAT32. Either figure out how to fix your USB problem, or use a splitter.

Even SciresM, lead developer of Atmosphere, has advised people not to use exFAT. It's practically common knowledge here. Don't risk it and come crying over here later when you lose all your stuff.

I've used this splitter before: https://gbatemp.net/threads/legal-nsp-splitter-for-fat32.520213/

But you'll need Python3 installed for it to work. I call it from the command line, but I think if you set things up correctly in Windows you can just drag-and-drop the NSP file on top of it.
Thank you for the info! I'll keep away from exFAT in that case. I did some Googling and have already split my NSP, but how do I install them after they're split? Do I just install one after another, or what?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the info! I'll keep away from exFAT in that case. I did some Googling and have already split my NSP, but how do I install them after they're split? Do I just install one after another, or what?
No, you have to copy the whole folder onto your SD card, then right-click the folder and put a checkmark in the box next to the Archive attribute. Afterwards you can use Goldleaf, and I believe Tinfoil too, just by installing the folder.

But you should really do whatever you can to fix USB installations. They're faster than dealing with splitting and copying to your SD card, and you don't have to worry about removing the card from your console. Or do network installs using Tinfoil.

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you have to copy the whole folder onto your SD card, then right-click the folder and put a checkmark in the box next to the Archive attribute. Afterwards you can use Goldleaf, and I believe Tinfoil too, just by installing the folder.
I see. Thanks for the help!
And as for USB, I wanna figure that out. Just haven't been able to get any info about it as of yet.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Thanks for the help!
And as for USB, I wanna figure that out. Just haven't been able to get any info about it as of yet.

Use Goldleaf and set up Quark, following the instructions here: https://github.com/XorTroll/Goldleaf/blob/master/Quark.md

Make sure you follow all the instructions for Zadig and libusbK, they're very important. But if you follow all the directions correctly, it shouldn't be that difficult and it will make installing NSPs much easier in the future.

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you have to copy the whole folder onto your SD card, then right-click the folder and put a checkmark in the box next to the Archive attribute.
Sorry, this should be the last question, but what do you mean check the Archive attribute? Do you mean "Add to Archive" in the immediate right-click menu(winRAR feature), or "Folder is ready for archiving" in the Advanded Attributes menu in Properties?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker