Hacking Fat16 on Acekard2i (mac)

sixrocket

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i've been using the Acekard2i without complaint for the last couple of weeks, and I decided today to try some of the larger games on the DS. After downloading Infinite Space I attempted to load it and I was stuck at an infinite loading screen! Joy! I've tested out multiple roms and they all had the same problem. From what I've read this is due to the Acekard failing on files larger then 256 or whatever MBs, and that you can fix this by formatting it in Fat16 with 64k clusters.

I have two questions.
1) How would one do this on a mac? Disk utility only has fat32, and I don t know enough terminal to attempt it.

2) What are the risks of formatting my Acekard in Fat16?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not had any problem with 256MB roms such as the KH games on my AK2i, and the only time I have had game repeatedly freeze on it was the Wizard of Oz RPG and that turned out to be a corruption issue (on my mSD) that was solved only by using the full format feature (took about 20+ min) on SD Association Formatter 3.0. This utility is now available in a higher version release and available for Mac also.

https://www.sdcard.o...ter_3/eula_mac/

I am going to test an untrimmed version of Infinite Space, and America's Test Kitchen which is a 512MB rom just to make sure this is all you need.

The utility does not allow you to choose the filesystem (Fat16, Fat32) by the way. It will pick what's right automatically.
Should be no risk to using FAT16, except that it won't support addressing more than 2GB from what I understand.

edit:
No issue loading Infinite Space on my PNY 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10.
America's Test Kitchen was actually 256MB so I was mistaken about it being bigger. I had no issue with loading this game either.

sixrocket

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formatting my card now, hopefully this should solve my problems. Thanks for the all the help.
Will edit with success of operation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.