Fastest NSP to NSZ

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all! Looking to batch convert about 10TB of nsp to nsz for better storage.

Does SAK support multi threading?

Was just gonna run it on a 96 thread threadripper machine. Which converter is the fastest?

Thanks!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never used SAK, but it seems to be kind of old, latest release more than 2 years ago. It might still work for your goal, but if you want the latest (and greatest?), go for the original. Latest release was just last December. You can configure it just the way you want.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never used SAK, but it seems to be kind of old, latest release more than 2 years ago. It might still work for your goal, but if you want the latest (and greatest?), go for the original. Latest release was just last December. You can configure it just the way you want.
SAK uses that exact tool. Maybe not the newest, but still the same.

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They both do batch. They both use/are NSZ compressor/decompressor.
yeah but I see the original has settings in it to force threads. I dont see such an option with SAK
Post automatically merged:

Yes, you're probably right. But there might have been several bug fixes and improvements brought to nsz conversions since the latest SAK release. Good if SAK still does the job, though!
Have you used it? Working great from my test but one part doesnt make sense to me. At the very end of the operation - It runs a "decompress" Why does it need to do that?

Reactions: BigOnYa

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you used it? Working great from my test but one part doesnt make sense to me. At the very end of the operation - It runs a "decompress" Why does it need to do that?
Yes, I still use it very often. I'm using the -Q argument, so it does decompress the result file to test if everything worked ok. It shouldn't if you don't want it to. What command do you use, assuming you're using the CLI?

Last edited by Dust2dust,

Mikolaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SAK is very efficient and allows different compression levels. It doesn't really need any update as the compression algorithm is still the same I think. Updating the prod.keys file regularly is however required in order to support decryption/reencryption for the latest nsp/xci designed with the latest Ninty sdk and for the latest firmwares.
The only aim about nsz compression is minimizing (often greatly) the storage print on your storage device. When you install them on your console they are uncompressed 'on the fly' by your install app (DBI, Tinfoil or other), and emulators (yuzu, ryujinx) do not support them...

Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but I see the original has settings in it to force threads. I dont see such an option with SAK
Post automatically merged:

Ahh so the decompression stage is only verifying? That clears it up.

Thanks!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1