ROM Hack FAQ: PokeSav

ambitous21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi all!
i havent been playing the ds for ages.. but now seeing as pokemon heartgold/soulsilver is going to be released in 2 weeks,
i'm excited!
one big question..
i remember using pokesav for a pokemon game before.. it could put any pokemon i want into my pc box right?
so will it work for pokemon heartgold/soulsilver too?

because i really want to start the game with some of my favorite starter pokemons.. not just the one of the 3 starters they give you

indrid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ambitous21 said:
hi all!
i havent been playing the ds for ages.. but now seeing as pokemon heartgold/soulsilver is going to be released in 2 weeks,
i'm excited!
one big question..
i remember using pokesav for a pokemon game before.. it could put any pokemon i want into my pc box right?
so will it work for pokemon heartgold/soulsilver too?

because i really want to start the game with some of my favorite starter pokemons.. not just the one of the 3 starters they give you
Yep, there's a version of Pokesav for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and another for HG/SS. Just make sure you're getting the version for HG/SS and you're all good. You can make the starters yourself and put them in storage or you can use pre-made PKM files for the Pokemon you want. Also all PKM files for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum still work for HG/SS.

smartguy_alec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm... there's something weird with my sav file of HeartGold, it registers as 0 byte in size instead of 512. Hence, the pokesav app can't open it... I can still play the sav file though...

Crunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic could really use a quick update. There's now a HG/SS version, which is basically the exact same thing as the Platinum version, but will work with HG/SS .savs.

http://projectpokemon.org/editing/pokesav/...savdownload.php

That page contains all current versions of Pokesav. I suggest a mod updating the original post with it since older versions of Pokesav won't work with newer games.

Harubi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick question.

I've tried to make a scyther i downloaded from pkmndb, shiny.
But after doing so, i used the legal checker to see if i could make it legit, but still to this moment i haven't figured out why it comes up as hacked.
I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Would anyone be so kind as to help me out with that?
Or if possible, provide me a .pkm of a legit shiny scyther?

Kind Regards,

-Mew-

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Harubi said:
Quick question.

But after doing so, i used the legal checker to see if i could make it legit, but still to this moment i haven't figured out why it comes up as hacked.

Kind Regards,

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthrea...-Legality-Guide

Crunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Harubi said:
Quick question.

Kind Regards,

You do realize that makes you seem like an extreme douche, right? No offense, but those programs pretty much ruin anyone's hopes in trading real legit Pokemon.

I've had some pretty lengthy conversations with the people that run the Pokemon Database, and they're pretty much all douchebags.

-Mew-

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Crunk said:
Harubi said:
Quick question.

Kind Regards,

You do realize that makes you seem like an extreme douche, right? No offense, but those programs pretty much ruin anyone's hopes in trading real legit Pokemon.

I've had some pretty lengthy conversations with the people that run the Pokemon Database, and they're pretty much all douchebags.

I used it mostly to just get pokemon at a low level so I don't have to trade, like I'll add a level 5 ralts to my team in SS when M3 guys patch it.

Crunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's the way that it was intended to be used. For in-game fun, which is what I do.

My SS team:
Hitmonchan
Mismagius
Croconaw (Haven't progressed too far because what I've been using, DeSmuME, gives me a terrible frame rate so everthing is slow)
Bayleef
Quilava

It's just so much more fun when you play the game how you want to. Apply that to communicating with members of a community, and you can't do that without messing up some else's experience. This isn't so much of a problem with someone who just wants a certain Pokemon but doesn't have access to PokeSav, but more to the people who want to trade legit Shiny or event Pokemon.

The event trading community took a large blow when all these new hacking tools were released.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Crunk said:
Harubi said:
Quick question.

Kind Regards,

You do realize that Pokemon are just a few hundred bytes of meaningless data, right? And that these bytes are mathematically related in such a way that it is possible to replicate a shiny Scyther that can also be produced by the game legitimately?

Knowing this, what is the difference between getting a real legit shiny Scyther generated by the software of the game rather than synthesizing a real legit shiny Scyther using software on your computer? You seem to be a Pokesav user. The data is all the same.

Think about this one carefully.

Crunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
Crunk said:
Harubi said:
Quick question.

Kind Regards,

You do realize that Pokemon are just a few hundred bytes of meaningless data, right? And that these bytes are mathematically related in such a way that it is possible to replicate a shiny Scyther that can also be produced by the game legitimately?

Knowing this, what is the difference between getting a real legit shiny Scyther generated by the software of the game rather than synthesizing a real legit shiny Scyther using software on your computer? You seem to be a Pokesav user. The data is all the same.

The one generated by the game was generated by the game, and therefor, completely legit. Someone using a program on their computer may be able to make a version of the same Pokemon, but it isn't considered legit because of the use of an outside source aside from the game or a PokeWalker. People that collect things like to know that they are actually generated within the confines of the game. It's like someone trading baseball cards that they printed off.

onivan

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is actually some catch to it. In PP Forums they have a guide for hex bytes (The colum you see under Language), and Poké Ball caught in seems to be a new value added for HG/SS. They have the list of those values, you just have to select regular Poké Ball on the "Poké Ball caught with" column and modify the 86h (I think its that one).

And for the love of Prof. Oak:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO EDIT/CREATE POKÉMON AT LEAST DO IT PROPERLY SO THEY DON'T APPEAR AS BLATANT HACKS.

That's all, happy editing.

Daddy24

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh don't worry for that.I use Pokesav only for my team and to clone events.
smile.gif

EDIT : Tested,and it worked.Now I have my Pikachu in a Fast Ball and my Turtwig in a Friend Ball.Thanks !
yaynds.gif

Crunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
onivan said:
There is actually some catch to it. In PP Forums they have a guide for hex bytes (The colum you see under Language), and Poké Ball caught in seems to be a new value added for HG/SS. They have the list of those values, you just have to select regular Poké Ball on the "Poké Ball caught with" column and modify the 86h (I think its that one).

And for the love of Prof. Oak:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO EDIT/CREATE POKÉMON AT LEAST DO IT PROPERLY SO THEY DON'T APPEAR AS BLATANT HACKS.

That's all, happy editing.
I would much rather be traded a blatantly hacked Pokemon than a good hack. The blatant hacks leave no question, but a good hack will leave someone who's trying to collect legit Pokemon with questions of their collection.

Like I said, I used to collect events so I know how it is when crap like that happens.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Crunk said:
coolbho3000 said:
Crunk said:
Harubi said:
Quick question.

Kind Regards,

The one generated by the game was generated by the game, and therefor, completely legit. Someone using a program on their computer may be able to make a version of the same Pokemon, but it isn't considered legit because of the use of an outside source aside from the game or a PokeWalker. People that collect things like to know that they are actually generated within the confines of the game. It's like someone trading baseball cards that they printed off.
No, it's the same thing as generating a baseball card (piecing it together subatomic particle by subatomic particle) that is physically identical in every way to one printed at the factory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly