Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Guild McCommunist said:
doyama said:
So yes we have been waiting for Episode 3 for a very very very long time. 2 new IP's and their sequels have been released since Episode 2 came out. So one does have to wonder if they want to finish Episode 3.

The main problem I see with EP3 is that the Source engine is showing its age. Now I LOVE L4D1/2 and Portal 1/2. But in those games I appreciate that the mechanics of the game make up for the graphical fidelity. I hope that EP3 will have a great story, but realistically I think people are going to be expecting better graphics than the Source engine can deliver and that's going to disappoint a lot of people.

It seems people can wait years for a new game in a series except for Half Life. A new Deus Ex is coming out soon after what, 8 years? We're getting a new Kid Icarus game after 20 years? We got a new Duke Nukem game after 14 years or something? But when it's now 4 years for Half Life 3 (or Episode 3), people cry and bitch and moan. Hell, we waited 6 years for Half Life 2. Its been 4 years since the last Half Life 2 episode, and in between that time and this time, Valve has made Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal 2 (all of which are utterly fantastic games), as well as managing Steam. It's not like they've been sitting on their asses doing nothing.

So be fucking patient people.
The problem isn't waiting, the problem is that Valve promised shorter production cycles through the episodic model. Personally I don't mind, but promising shorter time in between and then taking longer time isn't exactly all that logical.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
So that's why people support Gabe?

Honestly, I hate the guy and Valve as well. And if you guys wanna bitch at me, go for it. I'm entitled to my opinion. They ruined Left 4 Dead as far as I'm concerned, never tried Portal 2 yet, and they keep releasing updates and updates for other stuff, but yet they won't release Half Life 3? It's a bigger joke than Duke Nukem Forever.

"A game is late for a little while, but a game sucks forever."

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valve have a shit ton of work to do with Steam and all and you know what? Its up to them what they do, ok so maybe they're more interested in doing Left 4 Dead 1 & 2... that's THEIR choice. Yes so what they jumped into Portal 2 after...well they obviously love the gameplay of the original...and fuck me did they improve on perfection! Sure they went to make a sequel to an unofficial Warcraft 3 mod..again its their choice and its certainly gonna be a game that will be of very high quality.

I reckon they've done with Episode 3, maybe they couldn't do something that is worthy of the hype, maybe they weren't happy. Rather have them release something they are pleased with than them do something just because its expected of them.

Valve do what they want, they are driven by what they want to do. They could do an Infinity Ward and shit out the same fucking game all the time but they don't want to do that. I see them as artists and while I am chomping at the bit for ANYTHING new in the Half Life universe, I respect Valve for being the company that they are and only doing what they want, not just giving in and doing whatever sells.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Guild McCommunist said:
doyama said:
So yes we have been waiting for Episode 3 for a very very very long time. 2 new IP's and their sequels have been released since Episode 2 came out. So one does have to wonder if they want to finish Episode 3.

The main problem I see with EP3 is that the Source engine is showing its age. Now I LOVE L4D1/2 and Portal 1/2. But in those games I appreciate that the mechanics of the game make up for the graphical fidelity. I hope that EP3 will have a great story, but realistically I think people are going to be expecting better graphics than the Source engine can deliver and that's going to disappoint a lot of people.

It seems people can wait years for a new game in a series except for Half Life. A new Deus Ex is coming out soon after what, 8 years? We're getting a new Kid Icarus game after 20 years? We got a new Duke Nukem game after 14 years or something? But when it's now 4 years for Half Life 3 (or Episode 3), people cry and bitch and moan. Hell, we waited 6 years for Half Life 2. Its been 4 years since the last Half Life 2 episode, and in between that time and this time, Valve has made Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal 2 (all of which are utterly fantastic games), as well as managing Steam. It's not like they've been sitting on their asses doing nothing.

So be fucking patient people.
I'm pretty sure it's just a running joke at this point. I don't think people are honestly that mad about HL3.

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
hl3dmnst.jpg

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gabe: Hey guys, we heard you want another Half-Life, so we're deciding to give you CS: Global Offensive.

Only Valve can do this and have it be funny.. I guess that's because they can take their time since we all know it's going to be awesome in the end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66