Fake cards : Use YSmenu instead?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by fatchance, Dec 3, 2008.

Dec 3, 2008
  1. fatchance
    OP

Newcomer fatchance Newbie

United States
    Hi,

My friend just got a fake DSTT and he's really worried about the fake card bricking his NDS Lite. He's asking if there's another software he can use to load games (He's not happy to use DSTT 1.15 because he would like the latest compatibility)

I've 2 questions:

1) Instead of using the "killer" firmware from official DSTT to play NDS roms, can he just use the YSMenu ?

2) If the answer to (1) is yes, can someone link me to a guide to get the latest YSMenu and how to use it?

Thanks a lot in advance :-)

2. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    well it wont brick your ds i think it think it screws the dstt
    if you have fake tt then use ysmenu

3. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Doesnt Ysmenu use the official DSTT loader to run games?

In that case then I guess 'being safe by using Ysmenu' depends on how they trigger the fake killer code and if ysmenu calls that code.

If you have a fake then use official OS 1.15 (can download here at gbatemp).

4. fredhead

Newcomer fredhead Member

United Kingdom
    just kills the ttds card as ive just found out tried to update it as i was having problems running newr roms with 1.15

5. Evilmaster1985

Member Evilmaster1985 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Lets clear things up:

2 company`s claim both to make the same card who is the real one is hard to decide.

However lets use logics.

http://www.cndstt.com/english/index_en.aspx

Is acording to many sites the one selling the fake (cloned) cards.
    They have a 1.16 firmware up and I dont think this will harm their cards
    (Else they would not host it)

http://www.ndstt.com/en/

Is acording to many sites the official DSTT company.
    However they claim to use a cardkiller code in their firmware so my point is........

Would it all not mather if you used the 1.16 from CNDSTT on both cards?

I mean since it doesnt have a killer code..... it should work on both the official and CNDSTT cards.
    (In other words use the CNDSTT 1.16 on a official DSTT card should not harm it. And Like I wrote above CNDSTT would not host any firmwares that harm their own cards.)

Or am I mistaken?

Quick edit: After looking up firmware versions for DSTT it seems cndstt.com ONLY hosts the 1.16 firmware now.
    See here: http://www.cndstt.com/english/download_en.aspx

Greetz, Vistabuser.

6. fatchance
    OP

Newcomer fatchance Newbie

United States
    @AeroHex : yeah, I read it only did that. But I've heard rumors from other forums that it bricked a DS :-P

@Count Duckula : I thought of that too 0_o .... I guess I'll wait for someone who's tried it

@fredhead : really? Your DSTT got fried? yikes...

@Vistabuser : Aha, thats true. But,from what I've heard, the current 1.16 doesn't have a killer code (except fredhead's comment).. but I would like a more permanent solution.
    There may come a time where newer NDS games will have compatibility issues and I need to download the kernel with the "killer" code.
    Its gonna be heartbreaking if you burnt your MicroSD AND your NDS over something thats 1/10th the price.

[Oh , and just to give my 2 cents : I would trust the original website that made DSTT ( unless we are talking about a hostile website takeover ).
    If CNDSTT company is telling the truth that they broke off from DSTT, why are they claiming that the DSTT (which is their older product) to be fake?
    Whereas if CNDSTT is fake (claimed by the original DSTT makers), CNDSTT couldn't care less if they were letting buyers downloading a "fake-killer".
    (I'm not surprised if the other clone variants are made by this group of people too)
    Anyways, thats my logic of the situation]

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else with any ideas on the issue?

7. Evilmaster1985

Member Evilmaster1985 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Then again.....

CNDSTT would not host firmwares that kill their cards.

Not now not later.

Im faily sure the orginal 1.16 has a firmware code killer seeing the fact the dsttmenu.dat files contain the following diffirances:

Name of first file to compare: cndstt.dat
    Name of second file to compare: origi.dat
    Option:
    Comparing cndstt.dat and origi.dat...
    Compare error at OFFSET 2C
    file1 = 50
    file2 = 88
    Compare error at OFFSET 2D
    file1 = 3C
    file2 = 3D
    Compare error at OFFSET 15E
    file1 = 2
    file2 = 15
    Compare error at OFFSET 15F
    file1 = 6A
    file2 = 7C
    Compare error at OFFSET 4A5
    file1 = 64
    file2 = 66
    Compare error at OFFSET 4AD
    file1 = 64
    file2 = 66
    Compare error at OFFSET 4B5
    file1 = 65
    file2 = 67
    Compare error at OFFSET 4B9
    file1 = 6C
    file2 = 6E
    Compare error at OFFSET 4C5
    file1 = 6C
    file2 = 6E
    Compare error at OFFSET 505
    file1 = 40
    file2 = 20
    10 mismatches - ending compare

Greetz, Vistabuser.

8. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Well, I still have the original 1.16 TTMenu loader (although I use YSMenu), and it works perfectly on mine. Guess it's genuine, then.

Edit: Post #1000! [​IMG]

9. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Yeah, my guess would be is if you use a firmware with the killer code in it to build the YSMenu, then it'd still be a killer. I wouldn't risk it anyway, if I had a fake card.

10. freddysmith

Newcomer freddysmith Member

United States
    To me this "killer software" is a load of hype and just mentioned so that you bought cards from them and not thier competitors.
    If it was possible to fry one of these cards it would mean no one would buy any dstt cards and would affect any companies producing them. There are so many versions and talk of fake cards that nobody could be sure what they have bought or from where.
    People would just buy a different card that does not have this stigma attached.
    The cards that have problems are just down to bad manufacture and not to killer software in my opinion.

11. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Ummm...the ndstt.com team actually has a video of it, so unless you think the video is faked there definitely IS such a thing as fake-killer code. And there have been enough reports of fake flash carts being destroyed by the 1.16 firmware that I'm starting to be convinced that at least some versions of that firmware contain the fake killer code.

-Bri

12. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    I ordered 10 cards from Deal Extreme - i have got loads of cards off them in the past and never had an issue (and in fairness they are looking into this problem now for me as well and im confident they will resolve it).

Anyway - i put version 1.16 onto all of them without checking out the forums and i have had 6 of my friends tell me that the DS screen just goes white on their cards after about 3 hours play time.

I changed the code after that to 1.15 and now the card stays white. On the ones that werent yet fried , i changed the code to 1.15 and they seem to be ok , but once they are gone they are gone.

I opened one of the boxes and it was indeed whats called a Fake 5 card.

Here is a video that i took this morning : http://www.iol.ie/~taz/dstt.mpg (sorry its a bad video , it was early and i was in a rush to work)
    The card works on average one in every 20 startups as long as you leave it on 1.16 which can be frustrating - if you change back to 1.15 it wont start at all.

Its a valid problem with these so called fake cards , and id advise anyone to only use 1.15 for now.

13. Bri

United States
    The question is whether the fake cards simply have hardware problems such as cold soldering that comes loose after a certain amount of game play or if in fact 1.16 firmware is killing them. Very hard to tell without controlled experiments.

-Bri

14. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland

Well i have a friend playing on one with a 1.15 version system file now and everything seems to be fine so the card itself seems to work ok on 1.15 under normal usage.
    If you put that sd card into a DSTT that has already been run on 1.16 and died it wont start .

The SD card isnt being affected , the DS itself isnt being afftected , but the DSTT card is and it only seem to happen on 1.16 and none of the other versions.

15. Bri

United States
    Like I said before, I think the evidence is pretty good that there is some fake-killer code in 1.16, but it's certainly not definitive. The evidence against it would include the fact that the fake-killer code (if the videos posted by the DSTT team are to be believed) kills the fakes quickly and decisively. If the code is being used in the 1.16 firmware, then they have put in some code that assures that it doesn't kill the fakes immediately every time. So the question would be why did they include that code instead of just killing the fakes immediately and leaving no question?

-Bri

16. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Well I would assume they would not want to have them killed right as well... If a user updated their firmware and they turn on the DS with the new firmware on the microsd card and it killed it and would no longer work. I would assume they would get a few pissed off people blaming them for the death of the card.

Where as if the card died slowly there would be users assuming that their cart died a natural death. Therefor the DSTT team would get less angry mail.

17. Bri

United States
    A reasonable theory.

I sent the DSTT team an e-mail asking point blank whether 1.16 contains fake-killer code. If they respond, I'll report here.

-Bri

18. freddysmith

Newcomer freddysmith Member

United States
    I still believe people can fit a story to the failure of their cards into the Conspiracy theory that it happened because of the so called "the killing code" (and that sounds like a good film name).
    Its just bad manufacture and quality control in my book.

19. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well I'm not hearing of too many stories of DSTT's dying with 1.15 firmware on.

20. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    come on people, now dstt is selling as reseller about 5$ , do you think you will get a card with a min quality check ??? NO SORRY! Before this drop price and apart first dstt batch, the overall quality was normal with 5% defective cards. At this price there is not a quality check, neither reseller wanna waste time to test these cards and is easy to get a 30% defective rate. I know what i say because i test always dstt, bad habit from first dstt batch. M3, edge, ez5 and others i rarely test because i know quality is good.
    But for DSTT !!!! bought at 7$ !!! NOW Dstt now is a time bomb as acekard 2 old serie!