drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I went over to a friend's house the other day, and watched while he tried to install a WiiKey. He tried soldering it directly to the motherboard, and all the contact points appeared to be soldered. However, putting in a burned DVD-ROM game still said the disc is incompatible. Luckily, it can still read original games. But now the WiiKey is stuck on the drive.

If one of the connection points wasn't soldered completely, would it still be able to read original discs? The solder he used was rosin-core electrical solder... from what I read that's the best kind to use. I would upload a picture but I didn't bring my camera... He has menu 3.3U.

Anyone have this happen? Or know what the problem might be? I told him to buy anti-solder brushes, but won't that break the WiiKey? I know nothing about soldering so I wasn't able to help... But he tried to re-solder a couple of the connections and it still won't read burned discs.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try a wiikey config disc.

And make sure all the solder points are correctly done. If it still reads originals then nothing vital (wii side) has broken.

samhush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This exact thing happened to me when I installed my WiiKey. When I reopened the Wii (should've tested before closing it back up, I know) it turns out that two of the solder connections where touching each other. I had to re-melt the solder and play with a little bit until they were no longer touching. Wasn't too bad and it worked fine after that. Good luck!

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it's even getting power? If soldering is that much of a struggle you & your friend probably can't figure out how to use a multimeter either. If you can, test every connection from the solder spot on the WiiKey to the leg of the chip the connections run to.

Are you sure the WiiKey is compatible with the Wii you have?

Find someone in your area who does installs and have them fix it. It will cost you far less than ruining your Wii.

darkhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As Joey90 said try running the config disc or upgrade . If the install looks good(picture would help) then it could be the blank discs your using try buring at diffrent speeds or try using diffrent discs. When i installed my Wiikey it didnt read any disc had to upgrade to 1.9S after that it was fine.

wiimodder69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also verify that you do not have the D2b chipset with cut legs.. It will not work if so....

This is how it is done.

thestartofwiikey.jpg

wiikeyeasy.jpg

d2beasy2.jpg

Also it is a good idea to blow everything out after working on it, it is very easy for solder bits and wire tailings to wedge themselves in areas they are not supposed to be...

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not D2B, it's the original chipset.

I do know how to use multimeters, I could try that sometime. The WiiKey config disc also does not work... but isn't that CD-ROM and not DVD? It was burned to a CD since that's all Nero would allow.

Next time I go over to my friend's house I can take my camera so I can get a good picture of it. So if the wires are touching each other, it won't break the Wii? I figured it would. Would using anti-solder brushes break the WiiKey?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Config disc is NOT a CD.... it's a Gamecube disc - ie miniDVD - ie 1.4gig. If you managed to squeeze it on to a CD, you've done something wrong - ie not extracted the archive first.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*I* use ImgBurn, but at my friend's house all he had installed was Nero.

What do you mean it's a GameCube image? It's like 3MB! Even when extracted! Did I get the wrong thing?

How would I find a "professional"? I have a WiiKey myself too, and since my friend's got messed up I didn't do anything with it (I was going to have him try to install mine too, since he knows how to solder better than I do). I don't know if they have many WiiKey installers in the Detroit area...

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Burn a config disc (on dvd only, wii will not read cd's)

If you get a GC logo in the disc channel with the disc inserted then you know the chip is working.

But if it errors while trying to run you will have to make a special config disc to set the settings, before you can run backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.