Newcomer
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i accidentally quick formatted my external hard drive, but it somehow failed when trying to do it. I'm now attempting to get the files back, as it is 500GB of stuff I don't wanna have to redownload.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get some "undelete" software; I know that they work even though your drive may be full-formatted. (BTW the title is misleading, it's an accidental quick format)
Since a quick format just wipes the first 63 sectors of a drive, your data is still safe.

Edit:
Disconnect your external drive ASAP and use a live Linux disc. We don't want any data to be overwritten.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's still accidental:
QUOTE said:
So i accidentally quick formatted my external hard drive

Get the Ubuntu 8.10 live disc, it's saved my ass in more than one situation.
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Use the live disc option.
Open up Terminal and then type in:

CODEsudo apt-get install foremost

This is the undelete software.

Before you continue from there, though, I need to know how many hard drives you have in your PC.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Epic fail, you mean?
Not really.
Once I was messing around with diskpart in Windows and I accidentally deleted a partition with my data files on it.
Being the stupid person I was, I overwrote the deleted data. I couldn't recover it.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, really

anytime you're going to something massive like that, you usually get a confirmation dialog

and the format option is usually kept away from other commonly used options, as well

it takes effort to make that mistake

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyway, mistakes aside, you may be able to restore the partition, rather than just recover data if you want to. Use a program called TestDisk, use it to fix the partition table and the filesystem. Only if you REALLY know what your doing though.

Its fixed my 500GB drive more times than I can count on hands

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like above try Ubuntu and foremost, works well, also download and install Recuva, its a windows app, it can recover deleted files on HDD's, plus good job you accidentally did the quick format, you'll hopefully be able to recover your files
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8