ROM Hack Failed patch help

SFDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having issues with my ds bringing up an error code when i would start some games/ boot the ntr so I followed a guide to do quadruple format to try and fix the issue after confirming that several files on the SD card were not able to be used, couldn't delete them either. The first error code was 0xd900458b for the issue on the boot up/ntr. When dealing with the files and trying to do the quad format the code that popped up was 0x80004005 which if i remember what i read right was an exception when a WPA is either damaged or missing. So my guess is that somewhere along the line some of the files on my SD card got corrupted and caused the issue in question. After performing the quad format, the SD card now has the copied files, sans the files that i narrowed out as being the problem, but everytime i boot the ds now it gives me the following message.

"an error has occurred:
Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es).
Press any button to shutdown"

I've tried updating the boot.firm on the SD root with the latest version but I'm not sure if that would've helped because the ds itself was not up to date, I've not been updating it because I don't really have time to constantly check if a new version of the firmware is out. I've looked for sever hours trying to find an answer but I'm coming up with nothing. I need to get this fixed, I have plans to do a youtube series with one of the games I have on it. Can someone please provide some insight?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For testing purposes please use another, FAT32 formatted SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm
It sounds like your console is not able to find the SD, the filesystem or the file boot.firm on your SD and falls back to an outdated copy on CTRNAND.

Hold (Select) on power on. On the bottom of the lower screen it should either say:
Booted from SD via B9S
– or –
Booted from CTRNAND via B9S
This way you can find out if the SD is ignored.

Reactions: Alexander1970

SFDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For testing purposes please use another, FAT32 formatted SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm
It sounds like your console is not able to find the SD, the filesystem or the file boot.firm on your SD and falls back to an outdated copy on CTRNAND.

Hold (Select) on power on. On the bottom of the lower screen it should either say:
Booted from SD via B9S
– or –
Booted from CTRNAND via B9S
This way you can find out if the SD is ignored.
yeah, it says booted from CTRNAND via B9s. So I just need to get a set up on a new SD card?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, it says booted from CTRNAND via B9s. So I just need to get a set up on a new SD card?
Taking another SD with only boot.firm is my quick-and-dirty test; process of elimination. If this fails on multiple known-good FAT32 formatted SDs it's likely a problem with the SD reader (don't hope so). It could be contact issues, a bad micro-SD adapter (old type consoles of course), dirt…

When updating Luma3DS on SD it is a good idea to update on CTRNAND as well. In case the SD corrupts or – worst case – the SD reader has trouble, the console still stays functional to some extend.

Reactions: Alexander1970

SFDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking another SD with only boot.firm is my quick-and-dirty test; process of elimination. If this fails on multiple known-good FAT32 formatted SDs it's likely a problem with the SD reader (don't hope so). It could be contact issues, a bad micro-SD adapter (old type consoles of course), dirt…

When updating Luma3DS on SD it is a good idea to update on CTRNAND as well. In case the SD corrupts or – worst case – the SD reader has trouble, the console still stays functional to some extend.
I'll have to get a new SD card after work then, to test it out. I really hope the reader isn't going bad. I've only had this ds for a few years, it's a new 2ds xl so I wouldn't think that would be the cause. As for updating the CTRNAND, I actually didn't know I could do that. I spent money to buy my ds with the cfw on it since i didn't have the necessary tools at the time to begin the process. That and I was really impatient at the time.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'll have to get a new SD card after work then, to test it out. I really hope the reader isn't going bad. I've only had this ds for a few years, it's a new 2ds xl so I wouldn't think that would be the cause. As for updating the CTRNAND, I actually didn't know I could do that. I spent money to buy my ds with the cfw on it since i didn't have the necessary tools at the time to begin the process. That and I was really impatient at the time.
You can follow this post

SFDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news, it looks like it was just the SD card going bad. After putting the boot.firm on a clean SD card and inserting into the ds it was able to boot from the SD card instead of the CTRNAND. The rest of the files are in the midst of transferring onto the new SD card now, hopefully without issue.

SFDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, new problem now. SD card is fine with everything else and to make sure of that, I've tested multiple programs and games that I've got on the DS as well as the game carts to make sure everything still ran fine. Hyrule Warriors Legends is now bringing up an issue with the error code from before and I'm not sure why. this is exactly, down to the letter, what it shows as typed while the screen is still up.
Error type: Generic
Process ID: 39
Process name HWLUS_V1
Process Title ID: 0x000400000017ea00
Address: 0x0012f7b4
Error code: 0xd900458b

Riten444

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, new problem now. SD card is fine with everything else and to make sure of that, I've tested multiple programs and games that I've got on the DS as well as the game carts to make sure everything still ran fine. Hyrule Warriors Legends is now bringing up an issue with the error code from before and I'm not sure why. this is exactly, down to the letter, what it shows as typed while the screen is still up.
Error type: Generic
Process ID: 39
Process name HWLUS_V1
Process Title ID: 0x000400000017ea00
Address: 0x0012f7b4
Error code: 0xd900458b
Yesterday I just started having this same issue, but something worse happened before. I was playing Kid Icarus and when I pressed the home menu an error like this displayed in the lower screen, when I pressed the button to reboot it took way too much than usual, but when the console was active again I rebooted as if I turned it on for the first time, I was really sacred that my New 2DS restored but something strange happened that my save files and other things were still intact, the only things I lost were my friend cards, my step coins and part of my gameplay history (which I "restored" by just running the game), but that's precisely how this error was displayed when I tried playing Hyrule Warriors. What I think that happened is that before this weird rebooting, I checked my Streetpass gems while playing Kid Icarus and a Message was displayed telling me that de SD card couldn't be recognized, I didn't put a lot of attention to that until this happened.

Last edited by Riten444,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk