Hacking fail0verflow releases coldboot exploit proof of concept

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on the other side it means a lot more people will have access and be able to get a jump on how the system works and to potentially find even better exploits

These forms of exploits are extremely rare, even with nVidia fucking up. They don't grow on trees.

People jumping on it now, because everyone knows, means Nintendo knows. And a bunch of people potentially interested in telling Nintendo know.

D

Deleted-355425

The point would have been that no one would have reported it or revealed for a couple of years or more, allowing the system to mature and potentially the bug to persist into a revision.

That's basically all been flushed down the toilet now for a quick buck.

Tools don't even exists yet to make use of it, by the time they do the above as I outlined would have likely been far closer and more tangible. Now... /shrug

No one would of reported it? Come on man that’s not how it works and exactly why hackerone exists.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one would of reported it? Come on man that’s not how it works and exactly why hackerone exists.

No one in brew, reswitched, or f0f would have reported it, no. They keep their big bugs hidden because they have a lot of use in the longterm.

operador7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was precipitated by TX letting the cat out of the bag on a bootloader bug/exploit that allows for the early seize of the system processes.

Since they revealed it, f0f also revealed this. The presentation is identical and they are just trolling with the formating/music, a shot across the bow so to speak.

And now it will get patched in new hardware at factory because everyone will now know about this exploit, including Nintendo (and f0f even told them from where they were saying 'hello'). And, I think that was why people in the scene were unhappy with TX (and the warez/piracy as well obviously) because a quick cash grab from TX leads to a permanent loss of a bootloader bug in the long term.

Basically pissed away one of the rarest and most valuable bugs not even a year into the console's life where it can be fixed fairly rapidly.

- Actually most probably you are right, now we will see a video from TX soon, showing how u can run code on any version ,and believe me the only way these can be patch by Nintendo is making a new console, so don’t worry if they know.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I got so excited when I saw that title, my hopes were dashed as soon as I found out it was just a video. :(
But still, this is really awesome. They might even release something down the line.

If its basically what TX is trying to sell, they'll release it when TX tries to sell something.

May even be patched at factory by then with all of this attention and TX's 'release' not being for months.

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was precipitated by TX letting the cat out of the bag on a bootloader bug/exploit that allows for the early seize of the system processes.

Since they revealed it, f0f also revealed this. The presentation is identical and they are just trolling with the formating/music, a shot across the bow so to speak.

And now it will get patched in new hardware at factory because everyone will now know about this exploit, including Nintendo (and f0f even told them from where they were saying 'hello'). And, I think that was why people in the scene were unhappy with TX (and the warez/piracy as well obviously) because a quick cash grab from TX leads to a permanent loss of a bootloader bug in the long term.

Basically pissed away one of the rarest and most valuable bugs not even a year into the console's life where it can be fixed fairly rapidly.

Do you happen to know if this bug is easily fixable in a silent hardware revision or would it have to be a significant change?

It's really unfortunate they let it out for a quick bug. I want hax as the next guy, but something this big should of been kept quiet for as long as possible. Sucks that future switch revisions will probably be fixed.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
If its basically what TX is trying to sell, they'll release it when TX tries to sell something.

May even be patched at factory by then with all of this attention and TX's 'release' not being for months.
I was just about to say this^^. If this exploit is possible without tools/chips/carts, & TX try to sell tools/chips/carts with their own DRM, Im sure F0F will release their exploit publicly.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

It's probably not the same thing, TX claims theirs to be unpatchable which means it would have to be hardware based.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you happen to know if this bug is easily fixable in a silent hardware revision or would it have to be a significant change?

It's really unfortunate they let it out for a quick bug. I want hax as the next guy, but something this big should of been kept quiet for as long as possible. Sucks that future switch revisions will probably be fixed.

No idea, I don't know what the bug is itself other than its something to do with the bootloader/boot sequence. The boot can be ipatched at factory, no hardware revision necessary but we don't know if that is enough to fix it. It could be a serious issue that has to have hardware changed, it could not.

It's probably not the same thing, TX claims theirs to be unpatchable which means it would have to be hardware based.

I assume that to be marketing bull. Its unpatchable on current systems, not on future systems. Its the best kind of marketing, "technical marketing".

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh so would you have rather only one team be responsible for exploits/hacks and having it limited to only 3.x.x firmware? Okay then, but this isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

Reactions: yardie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: