eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, my friendly neighbours!

I got a rather ancient, but working, combo, like stated in the titles' thread: An EZPass3 and an EZ-Flash IV miniSD version.

They work because I know it. My trusty EZ-Flash IV boots in GBA mode just perfect, fully updated to 2.050. But as I read here, apparently @FAST6191 reported that an update ended NDS loading from slot 2, making my EZPass3 worthless.
But, apparently, I can revert back to a previous firmware and miss out on the bigger SD card, using EZClient yet again.

Whenever I try to boot the EZPass3, it goes to a black screen.

Is there truly no change of using EZPass3 with the current EZ-FlashIV firmware? I wanted to make my original DS (I refuse to call it DS Phat!) work as the good old days. Any game I played at the time just worked.

If I have to revert back to a previous firmware, what's the last one that supported NDS loading from slot 2? I don't mind much in using the client, as the games I want to play are not that many, and can surely fit in a 2 or 4 GB card, with a few GBA games for good measure and the Client included for safekeeping.

Yes, I have an R4 that is working, but I wanted to use that one on the DSi or DSLite when I happen to get it repaired. Also, I have a working product, and I really hate to throw away still working devices because of a pig headed decision.

The main motivator is that 42 All-Time Classics is wonky in my DSi.

Last edited by eyeliner,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First I should generally note that you, which is to say the hypothetical forum searcher, ought to be very sure what version of the EZ4 you have here -- all the original EZ4 miniSD, EZ4 lite, lite compact (though... yeah) and EZ4 lite deluxe should be able to get something going on. Anything made after the newer batches, tweaks and comeback versions I don't know what will happen but bricking is distinct possibility.

Never say never and there is an outside but as far as "download this, do this, do that" then going with never and yes the ezpass is redundant now (granted with flashme I would have said it was 2 seconds after the install/install on your last friend's DS finished).

The last firmware combo most would use would be the RESET firmware* and associated EZ4Client pack from probably 2009. https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez4-client-3rd-april-2009.145335/ was the last official one but I made up a pack containing the various useful tools a little while after that.

*a bug was introduced in some of the later official firmwares with GBA borders ( http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsbackwardscompatiblegbamode ) and the RESET firmware was a mod made by a user named Modulo to sort that (there was also a nonds version but given the subject of discussion...). Some did go back to the last official ones without it too but that was more for GBA purposes as there were some DS extras added in on the GBA link side of things.

Personally I would find just about any DS flash cart still functioning, especially if it is just for 42 all time classics -- even the ninjaDS would probably work with that one.

Few choice things attached from my collection of interesting files that might work for you. Better do another warning for random forum searcher types that this path is fraught with annoyances and difficulties -- remember the 2 gig and under stuff wants to be FAT16 (can't remember the cluster size offhand) and that micro to miniSD adapters are for some reason almost universally awful and thus using one of those also introduces the chance for read errors.

Attachments

• 31119-EZ4client3rdApril2009.7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • 251105-EZflashIV 1_75 Clearlooks v5.rar
    224.8 KB · Views: 100
  • ezfla_up_2013_03_06_reset_fix.7z
    466.2 KB · Views: 102

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks, @FAST6191, I'll ammend the post saying that it's an EZ-Flash Mini SD. Yes, oldie, but worky. The one that came in a box with a magnetic flap, and card reader.

Of course, it's not only for 42 All Time Classics, it's mainly because the setup works as it is, without having to resort to another purchase if I can have it working with minor grievances. And to have the possibility of having my three DS connected in tandem with Mario Kart DS.

And because after my rummaging around, I finally setup every device up, upgraded and stuff.

Long story short, I don't (can't) spend any more money in yet another electronics device and trash a perfectly good one (I think, as I didn't yet test it.) If the latest version doesn't work, then I'll revert it back no problem.

Thanks again, my friend.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...