Hacking ez5 3in1+ problem

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've been doing a lot of research on this site and other sites. I traded a graphics card for a DSL with an R4 (it was a clone card, I managed to figure out which card it was...) r4-dsl.net version of the clone. I wasn't aware it had wifi at the time, so I figured there should be a web browser and what not, decided to try dshobro and opera and the dsorganize and I just wasn't happy with it. Obviously Opera wouldn't work and I'm sure it's probably the best browser seeing how it's actually programmed for the NDSL and is actually being sold. So I decided to browse deal extreme and purchased me an ez flash v (I found a site to find out which version you have and I have the ez flash v+) I recently updated the firmware on my R4 and I've tried nearly every version of gba_ExpLoader and GBA Loader... So I finally found a version of expLoader that worked which obviously was .58b due to a lot of reading, I got it to see the card. Whenever I go to switch it to expansion pack mode for the browser my R4 goes "This is a fake!!" and it just stays on that screen.

I did make a youtube video of what it was doing last night... I'll post it here so you can see. Is the 3in1 simply incompatible with this version of the R4 firmware, or the encryption they are using? I thought rudolphs version was compatible with are R4 clones? I don't know.

So any help would be highly appreciated...

Also here is the link to my youtube video I made last night. (this was before the updated firmware and the .58b testing... But it's still telling me it's a fake, so same problem)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtsIdSvw6AU

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
To use the Opera brower, you have to SET your 3in1 into RAM mode first, run GBA exploader and press R several times and select RAM mode. Then run your browser.

From what I can tell from the video, you don't even know what version you got. See my sig, click on the first link. This will tell you what version of the 3in1 you got. If you got the last version, you can't use anything but gba exploader 0.58b, all lower versions do not detect it period.

GBA exploader 0.58b has only partial support for the 3in1+, assuming you have that version. You will need to find the browser patch program that patches the opera browser to support the 3in1+. You will also need to get the standalone program that sets the 3in1+ into RAM mode.

If you REALLY have a fake and it doesn't match anything I documented, just buy a legit one, you can get the v2 or v3 of the 3in1 here:
http://www.realhotstuff.com/

Get this one if you don't want to patch opera or anything:
http://www.realhotstuff.com/expansion-pack...sion-p-397.html

With the v2, you can use your gba exploader 0.57, which you will be better off with.

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
To use the Opera brower, you have to SET your 3in1 into RAM mode first, run GBA exploader and press R several times and select RAM mode. Then run your browser.

From what I can tell from the video, you don't even know what version you got. See my sig, click on the first link. This will tell you what version of the 3in1 you got. If you got the last version, you can't use anything but gba exploader 0.58b, all lower versions do not detect it period.

I've tried Rudolph and Cory1492's software to control the ez5, I've tried so many versions of everything just trying to get it to work. Some people say I have to DLDI patch, some people say you have to patch Opera no matter what I do, Opera will not work. I've tried clean rom, patched roms, I can't get anything to see the expansion memory. I can't get it to switch. But that's not all... Story continues.

I stumbled across the v0.58b from Rudolph and alas, I got it to see the 3in1+ and I click to turn on the memory expansion and I get an error message:
QUOTE(!!!) said:
This is a fake!!

It has been doing this with all of Rudolphs programs, rather it sees the card or not. I can get the card to vibrate, but then nothing. It does not work outside of Rudolphs software. I guess while it's doing a soft-reset so I can load the rom, the R4 is messing up thus giving me an error message. This is all I can come up with. I seriously don't think it's Rudolphs software, I think it's my R4... Like a compatibility issue. I don't know, that's why I'm here. I can't find -anyone- on any forum with my problem, except one on a japanese site and it isn't even relating to the 3in1.

So, I'll list exactly what I have and show a large high quality picture(collage) of exactly what it's doing. Hopefully someone here can help me before I go ballistic and go on a ez flash v killing spree.

Hardware
[*]R4 - r4-dsl.net[*]EZ Flash V 3 in 1 + - Model: EZ5C3[*]NDS Lite - Normal NDS Lite

URL: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1705/nds.jpg

So in short, yes I do know what version I have. I've tried a lot of them. I was in a rush when typing my first message because I was researching also and I'm pretty frustrated with everything. If you want some more information I'll be glad to give it to you.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The "This is fake" message is from the original R4 code, this goes back to the message the original R4 team left about bricking fakes a few year or so ago. I haven't gotten around to documenting the numerous clone problems out there that break features and functions. The majority of them break opera RAM pack functions to fix some games or break something else.

I would suggest getting a better slot1 like an Acekard2, with this option and using the AKAIO custom firmware which will have full support for the 3in1+. This would mean you wouldn't need gba exploader to use. The slot1 cart runs $12 at DX or $20 at RHS.

If you don't want an Acekard2, use the second link in my sig to get an idea of what slot1 you should get that still works with the 3in1. I suggest AVOIDING ANY R4 CLONE at all costs, the random problems associated with them are not worth the sub 10 dollars you would pay for to get one.

Your other option is to get the 3in1 v2, this will have a 50-50 chance of working under the R4 clone. The majority of clone users still end up with the same problems so you can take a chance if you like.

RHS: http://www.realhotstuff.com/
DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/

DX has a VERY long wait time to ship.
RHS is in the USA so shipping will get to you in under a week.

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about getting a CycloDS Evolution... I hear it's the best so from what I figure, since I'm a coder and this seems like something I could get into I might as well get the best. I also hear that Edge is good, but it's a CycloDS clone? So I'd feel safer getting a CycloDS.

I was figuring it was the R4 messing things up because it's not only the 3 in 1 that isn't working, it's also other programs like the VoIP and DSHoBro and a few other applications have red screened on me and a few emulators have givin' me "This is a fake" as well. Also from what I read, the R4 is long dead now, and everything that does come out is a clone or a rip, right?

Also they say the EZ Flash V Slot 1 Cart will be able to run opera out of the box with no modification, other than that feature are they as good as the other cards with compatibility? I did watch some youtube videos and I don't think I like the interface as much. Honestly, CycloDS looks like it has large icons and the AK2i looks pretty interesting, but it seems a bit 'simple' if you know what I mean...

Also, I hear that CycloDS Evolution is the only cart that supports real-time saving which I think would be very useful...

If money wasn't an object which would you suggest?

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
buy what ever you like, you will tend to stick with it longer. I have every slot1 minus the clones, I tend to jump around from cart to cart.

I took your advice and got myself an AK2i and I am still having a slight problem. I updated to the newest firmware and the nds browser still will not see it. in the akaio 1.5 firmware it seems they did add a feature just for the 3 in 1 but with that feature it does not have an option for expansion ram.

You seem to be a lot more experienced in this area than myself... So any help would be great.

Also I made a youtube video moments ago, I can link you to that... showing the problem if interested.

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The AKAIO already has the correct code to set your 3in1 in RAM mode, you still need to patch the NDS brower to use the new offset. link for patch is in the first link in sig.

It is made by cory.
Excellent. I'll go grab my NDS and see if I can get this bad boy patched. You're a great help by the way.
tongue.gif

-edit-

Okay, I had already patched it once before but I downloaded a clean Europe rom and patched it with the patch kit. (I just renamed the browser to browser.nds, then ran the batch file... Assuming that's correct?) and once I start the new browser_31p.nds it just gives me to blank white screens.

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the name of the rom matter? I've tried it with the default name, browser.nds and nds browser.nds and none seem to be working. I also tried patching with LIPS(Lunar IPS) and Corey's. I wouldn't think I'd need to configure anything prior to uploading... I've even tried DLDI patching it before and after adding each patches to a clean rom.

The 3 in 1 rumbles and everything... So I am pretty sure that it's functioning properly. Do I need to flash anything to the ram or something to activate the 3 in 1 + I've went through like step by step.. Multiple times. I don't see why it's not working.

yutsoku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
You might have to ask "Another World", you can find the Acekard section. I mostly answer things for getting gba games running and the like with slot2 stuff. Another World would know more about what you would need for the browser.

I'll toss him a PM. Thanks for the referral.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel