Hacking EZ Flash V for 5$. Is it worth?

160R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have just find EZ-Flash V flashcarts being sold for 5$. Is the deal worth considering the good reputation of EZ-Team flash carts?

I already have other cards for my NDS Lite, but I'm not sure if this is better like EZ-Flash IV was better than its GBA competitors...

Reactions: Margen67

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Isn't the EZ-Flash V a DS flashcart, and a terribly outdated one at that? The only piece worth any attention in that package is the GBA add-on and that's practically a 3-in-1 as far as I know.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm still using my EZ-Flash V Plus on my NDS and NDS Lite. It works great for NDS games (decent compatibility, cheat mode) and you can run the EZ kernel alongside a Moonshell OS (to play videos, music, open text files, etc.). The GBA cart is a 3-in1: it's an expansion pak, rumble pak and GBA flashcart (but only 1 ROM at a time).

I bought it in 2007 and I don't regret it. Nowadays there are far superior options but $5 sounds fair to me. ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original EZ5 models (usually referred to as the original and the new years edition/nye) and the EZ5 plus model (main difference being it supports SDHC where the other two are microSD only) split off from the EZ5i kernel which was updated until about this time in 2012 (Inazuma Eleven 2 European being fixed in the last update for that model). The older kernel stopped being updated in 2011 (around the time of release of Dementium 2).

http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17107 for the older kernel.

If you have one of the savelist supporting ones it can make for an interesting experiment. From memory I am not sure what state the various features like savestates and guides ended up in for that kernel line. There was talk of open sourcing the kernel but that does not seem to have gone anywhere.

For $5 though I would take it. http://gbatemp.net/threads/5-years-of-ds-roms-in-5-days-year-5.237289/ and everything before it should work, if you just need a flash cart to make up another number for a multiplayer game then it will do well for you.

If you mean the GBA slot 3 in 1 then yeah $5 is a steal. You might have to replace the battery but it should serve you well as a GBA flash cart as long as you want to play such things on the DS.

xelizor

Trophies
XP
Country
IMHO it doesn't worth it... a R4 1:1 clone would be a better choice (at least it runs 1.62 Wood)... but for 4.5€ you can't go wrong.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thinking of getting one but should i really get it? My DS Lite is pretty much a music player at this point and i don't even think that the 3-in-1 is worth it since i already have the RAM expansion that i got for 1$.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMHO it doesn't worth it... a R4 1:1 clone would be a better choice (at least it runs 1.62 Wood)... but for 4.5€ you can't go wrong.

Wood isn't better than the EZFlash implementation of Moonshell, IMO. I have several DS flash carts (EZV, R4 w/ Wood, SCDS2) and have slapped all manner of "OS" replacements on them in an attempt to "fix" them and all of them have come up lacking when compared to EZFlash interface. While Wood and SCDS2 can run a few games that the EZ5 can't, they aren't games that I felt were worth playing (and yes I tried them on my other carts, and they sucked). A $5 EZ is completely worth it, IMO, as long as you have a DS or DS lite... Especially if it comes w/ a 3-in1.

A bad ass combo that you should be happy w/ as long as you have the hardware it was meant to be used w/ (i.e. not a 3DS or DSi). Really though, do you have a link so that we can see what you are actually buying?

@Foxi4: EZFlash pretty much invented the 3-in-1. "the GBA add-on" most likely IS "a [EZ]3-in-1." or a clone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1