Hacking EZ Flash Reform updating kernel question

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Recently I got myself a EZ Flash Reform and so far I'm experiencing a way better and fluid gameplay than my old SuperCard Mini SD.

But I'm a little disasstisfied with how the kernel looks. The current theme looks really UGLY and it came in Chinese language. I was able to change the language to English but still, some letters looks out of place and there are some untranslated help files.

20180425_004828.jpg

So I would like to know if it is safe to update my kernel to 2.05 with a propper version/language using the updates of EZ Flash IV flashcard. I found a really interesting theme that I would like to use, but it is for 2.03 system version :( that one specifically: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ezflash-iv-carbon-fire-theme-series-2-03.477937/

How do I make my own theme/rip from old updates? Can someone provide me links of where should I look for?

Btw, it looks this flashcart was refurbished at some point, it was dirty above the chipset with a glue stick and there are some welding points in the connector :mellow: Works great tho.

20180418_180532.jpg

Any help is appreciated :)

Last edited by yanvbraz,

Ashes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
As you can see here https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-reform-100-working-but-they-send-me-burned-chipset.497000/ You are not the only one with douchebag dealers. You pay for new and non used staff, and you obtain a refurbished product. I say to you that the battery (button cell) will start shortly making troubles with "dry" messages, so prepare yourself for that.

You can´t change the text used in the Ezflash firm, why do it? Leave it as it is. You can use gba roms, and gb and gbc roms with emulation, the device is for that.

Reactions: yanvbraz

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The EZ-Flash Reform is most likely not compatible with pre 2.05 firmwares. 2.05 is confirmed to be working with EZ-Flash IV and Reform so I'd recommend not trying anything lower on your reform. You can either find a different 2.05 skin that you like, (allthough they are rather rare) or try using the skin builder to create your own.

Reactions: yanvbraz

yanvbraz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As you can see here https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-reform-100-working-but-they-send-me-burned-chipset.497000/ You are not the only one with douchebag dealers. You pay for new and non used staff, and you obtain a refurbished product. I say to you that the battery (button cell) will start shortly making troubles with "dry" messages, so prepare yourself for that.

You can´t change the text used in the Ezflash firm, why do it? Leave it as it is. You can use gba roms, and gb and gbc roms with emulation, the device is for that.

Wow, this is strange since EZ Flash Reform is a relatively new flashcart. So I can assume EZ Reform uses poor quality material in their circuit... I'm afraid that I'll have future problems with it, so I better take care of it :mellow:

If I knew that Omega would be released, I would have wait a bit more before getting Reform. Omega was released announced 1 month after I bought Reform :sleep:

I was talking about changing text messages because even when I changed Language to English in settings, there were some help text files that kept in Chinese language. I assumed that a firmware update would fix that (and they fixed after I use the EZ-Flat skin 2.05)

The EZ-Flash Reform is most likely not compatible with pre 2.05 firmwares. 2.05 is confirmed to be working with EZ-Flash IV and Reform so I'd recommend not trying anything lower on your reform. You can either find a different 2.05 skin that you like, (allthough they are rather rare) or try using the skin builder to create your own.

I heard somewhere that only 2.04+ firmware works with Reform, so I downloaded your EZ-Flat 2.05 skin and updated my flashcart. It looks much better than I expected (and is totally in English) so I'm keeping this one. Thank you for that!

I have a few questions about usage of EZ-Reform.

1) Is it recommended to put the gba roms inside a "ROMS" folder, or should I just throw them in the root of SD Card?

2) Do I need to pre-patch Pokémon game series (because the lack of RTC) or does the flashcart already handles these kind of patches automatically? I never tried playing Pokémon in my SuperCard MiniSD because I didn't want to rely on RTS method of saving.

3) What precautions I should take before flashing roms into NOR? I heard it is not recommended to flash trimmed ROMs to NOR, which kind of problems that could cause?

Sorry for so many questions ^_^

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a few questions about usage of EZ-Reform.

1) Is it recommended to put the gba roms inside a "ROMS" folder, or should I just throw them in the root of SD Card?

2) Do I need to pre-patch Pokémon game series (because the lack of RTC) or does the flashcart already handles these kind of patches automatically? I never tried playing Pokémon in my SuperCard MiniSD because I didn't want to rely on RTS method of saving.

3) What precautions I should take before flashing roms into NOR? I heard it is not recommended to flash trimmed ROMs to NOR, which kind of problems that could cause?

Sorry for so many questions ^_^

1. That's your choice. There is a limit on the number of files the ezflash will display, if you're above that you're going to need to use folders

2. Save patching is handled by the kernel. Ruby, Saphire and Emerald might give you a message during startup about the battery and how time based events won't work but saving will continue. I don't really know if the ezflash kernel will also patch this behavior, the message doesn't have any negative impact, though and can be patched manually if wanted (and if the kernel doesn't already take care of this).

3. I'd generally recommend not using trimmed roms at all. The only thing to note about NOR flashing is that it is power hungry. The GBA sometimes won't be able to properly write the game when using rechargeable batteries or cheap alkalines.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...