EZ-Flash IV Recommendation

arsenal009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I think my EZ-Flash IV battery is dead.

I one I currently have uses a mini sd card which I have my roms & saves on.

Can someone recommend me a new EZ-Flash IV cart?

Thanks

arsenal009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, it would be easier for me to just buy a new cart. Can someone recommend me a new EZ-Flash IV cart?

Thanks

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
What do you mean by recommend a new EZ-Flash IV? There is no difference between the miniSD and microSD card version.
Also, as @ov3rkill said, why speed $40 on a new card when you can get a batterie on eBay for $2? It is really simple to change.
Just unscrew the top, desolder the old batterie and resolder the new one. The solder pads are quite big so it's an beginner job.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Basically you have a few options:

1. Get a replacement battery for $2 from ebay and replace the battery. Cheapest and fastest option by far and really not hard to do.
2. Buy an EZ-Flash Omega. It comes with a battery, but that is not used for saving at all, it's sole purpose is to keep the RTC running. So if it ever runs dry you can still save games.
3. Find a seller that still sells the EZ-Flash Reform. This will be slightly cheaper than the Omega but it still uses a battery to save and generally has fewer features. The battery is replacable without soldering in this card.
4. Find a seller that still sells the EZ-Flash IV micro SD.This will be slightly cheaper than the Omega but it still uses a battery to save and generally has fewer features. Replacing the battery requires soldering.

Reactions: Count Duckula

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no guarantee a "new" EZ Flash IV will have a brand new battery. I got one on eBay that has something wrong with it that makes it a battery-eating machine. Battery only lasts weeks in this cart, so I gave up replacing it.

You can play (and save game) any game up to 16MB (very few games are bigger than16MB) with no battery provided the game is compatible with soft reset (L + Up + B). Save in game and then soft reset for your save to be written to SD. I've been doing that way for a while with an EZ Flash IV (microSD version). All the games I want to play lately have worked, even Phantasy Star (have to start with L+A).

Even if you don't get a defective one, you have no idea how long the cart (and battery) has been sitting. I don't know about other people's experiences buying on eBay and from big Chinese stores, but it is better to buy used from individuals: 3 of my 5 EZ Flash IV cards are white (bought used in 2012) and still work. The black microSD model (bought from an eBay store) was a dud and I'm a little disappointed with EZ Reform(bought from a big Chinese store): the contacts were dirty and it is hard to take apart/insert in DSL because the small case does not fit properly. Nothing a dremel couldn't fix, but for the price people are asking new it ought to be perfect. My sample is too small to draw any definite conclusions so I'll not point the bone, but it seems to me like EZ Flash quality is going down. Hopefully Omega will be better, but I plan to wait and buy it used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte