Hacking EZ-Flash IV or EZ-Flash 3-in-1?

Drayano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been thinking of buying something so I could play GBA games recently and as far as I can see, either the 3-in-1 or the EZIV is the optimum choice. I'd be pairing it with my DS Lite and R4, so I'm fairly confident I'd be able to get either to work.

There don't seem to be a huge amount of differences, though primarily I've noticed the presence or absence of a card (MiniSD) slot, a compatibility with the GBA SP (or not in the case of the 3-in-1) and a differing price tag, with the EZIV being a little higher. As far as I can tell the deluxe version of the EZIV is either very rare or unavailable, so I'd probably be settling for the original version.

I've owned a 3-in-1 previously but the battery ran out extremely quickly, leading me to believe it was a defective model. I've since lost it, but I'm pretty sure the battery itself was evidence of a fake 3-in-1 according to an image I was comparing it to a long time ago, as well as being certain of the battery loss due to being asked to do something every single time I booted the cart up. Hopefully that was just a one time thing, seeing as I practically bought it from the first site I found (this must have been like two years ago at least).

I'm slightly concerned about the battery life in either case though, as I want something that would last me for a while (i.e. a couple years worth at least, if that's realistic). A higher battery and as low a price as possible would probably be my main reasons for favouring one over the other. I'm not so sure I'd trust myself to solder in a new battery either; it's not something I've ever attempted before.

Just for the record, I live in the UK, in case that happens to affect things in terms of postage, laws and whatnot.

I'd appreciate any advice towards which would be best, because I'm honestly clueless as far as GBA flashcards go.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not aware of any fake 3 in 1s but some of the models have had battery issues. They are compatible with anything that has a GBA slot although you will need a DS to flash them.

Oh yeah http://www.neoconsolas.com/tienda/-c-94_64_66_100.html might be of interest as they seem to be having a clearance of the EZ4 lite deluxe among other things although you will want to act quick and not be very choosy when it comes to colours. I sprung for two yesterday and they should be here before the week is out.
You do not want an Ez-Flash IV Lite Compact by the way (no real GBA ability other than small roms).

Hobosam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but will an Ez-flash iv lite deluxe work on my standard (old) gba console?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All EZ GBA slot gear will work in anything with a GBA slot.
You might however have to modify the case in some way if it was originally intended for a DS lite (only cards with such a form factor the 3 in 1 which also has a GBA model, the EZ4 lite, the EZ4 lite compact and the EZ4 lite deluxe).

Hobosam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I would have to change the casing so it can fit in my GBA?
Would you recommend the Lite Deluxe or the standard Ez-Flash iv cartridge?

Thanks for the help!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah you would have to change/mod a case.

Compatibility is the same as are features but the lite deluxe has 256Mbit of PSRAM aka same size the largest dumped game and 384Mbit of NOR.

D

Deleted-236924

So the deluxe would let us boot 32MB GBA roms without having to flash them to NOR?
Could be useful for those that have more than one 32MB rom.

I recommend the EZ-Flash IV, by the way.
There's no reason not to choose the IV over the 3in1.

D

Deleted-236924

Wow, it's freaking cheap there 0_0
Makes me want to buy one... But I don't need it.
Though it would be really useful for playing 32MB games without having to flash them to NOR each time.

Drayano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, on second thought I might be better off just trying to fix the 3-in-1 I already have, seeing as it is just a dead battery.

Now to figure out how to cancel the order I made. It's still 'pending', but there's no cancel order option. I guess I'll try sending an e-mail.

D

Deleted-236924

Drayano said:
Hmm, on second thought I might be better off just trying to fix the 3-in-1 I already have, seeing as it is just a dead battery.

Now to figure out how to cancel the order I made. It's still 'pending', but there's no cancel order option. I guess I'll try sending an e-mail.
As long as you:

1- Don't mind replacing the battery each time it dies;
2- Are confident you will not break anything while replacing it;
3- Backup your GBA save files regularly,

I don't really see anything wrong with the 3in1.

The only problem is that if you break one of the tabs or something while replacing it, it won't be able to hold saves anymore until you find a way to fix the tab (it's been done before.)
And also, it is possible that you might forget to backup your save file one day, which would make you lose possibly a lot of progress if the battery starts to run out.

Apart from that, the only thing EZ-IV would have over the 3in1 is cheat code support, but if you don't care about that it doesn't matter (You could always use GBAATM anyway.)

Drayano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I suppose so. I think it was a bit of an impulse buy anyway, I can't see me using it all that much in all honesty.

Unfortunately, the order is STILL pending and I've had no reply about getting a refund, so either I've been swindled or the site is just really slow. Sigh ;;

Never mind, shipping now. Guess I just had to be patient, ha. I may as well keep it, I'd probably screw the 3in1 up anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily