EZ Flash IV only creating "empty" (0 kb) save files

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Skrubber, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Skrubber
    OP

Newcomer Skrubber Member

Sweden
    I have an issue with my EZ Flash IV I've been unable to find a solution to.

Whenever a save file is created and stored to the SD card, it's an empty file containing 0 kb of data. This what the save folder looks like in Window's file explorer:
    [​IMG]

I know that the battery isn't faulty, since a save of a game remains as long as I don't play another game.

I'm also confident it isn't the memory cards, as I've tried using more than one.

Do you think my EZ Flash IV might be defect, or could there be another explanation?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    its not saving correctly
    there should only be 1 .sav file for every game
    but yours is creating multiple files and not even the right extensions
    I assume you have the latest firmware flashed?

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It looks like the standard if it fails then it tries to use 8:3 names and just takes the remaining characters for an extension.

Two things- I hope you have the latest firmware (did you put a file called ezfla_up.bin on there and hold R when booting at some point?) as Joe88 said.
    Equally are you using a microSD to miniSD adapter? I sometimes see it happen there. I know you said multiple cards but if they are both in the same adapter.

Finally you will probably not be able to delete the files but if you run scandisk or the equivalent for whatever OS you are using then it should get rid of them for you.

" there should only be 1 .sav file for every game"
    Technically there is a way to have multiple saves per game (up to 100) and that can see things like the problems the OP describes but let us not go there at this point.

4. Skrubber
    OP

Newcomer Skrubber Member

Sweden
    Thanks for you replies!

I figured out what the issue was. The saving didn't work because I didn't send the patched games directly onto the memory card, and instead to a map on my PC first.

Finally I can get on with playing some Kuru Kuru Kururin, Castlevania and Sonic.

5. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    When you had the patched games output to PC first, did you copy <output drive>:\saver to the miniSD before playing the games?
    If you let the cart create the saves, it normally messes them up. Setting the output drive to your miniSD would have automatically put the saves on the miniSD and would likely fix the issue.

Just wondering as I always output to a drive on my PC then copy them over with no save issues.

6. Skrubber
    OP

Newcomer Skrubber Member

Sweden
    Hmm... It's very possible I didn't, can't say for sure.