EZ-Flash 3in1 16mb+ games will not work.

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Hrmchd, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    I could not find any help regarding this problem.
    I have an EZ-Flash 3in1 alongside an R4i Gold running the latest Wood firmware. 8mb GBA games work perfectly in PSRAM or NOR. 16mb games boot in PSRAM with various glitches preventing them from working at all, and do not boot in NOR. I have used both Wood's loader and GBA-exploader with the same results in both.

I have no idea what's wrong. Does anyone else?

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
  3. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    The 3in1 is an EZ5C3, so the first + model.
    I was not trying to load any 32MB rom. The problem is with, from what I can tell, any 16MB game. I tried with some common games: Pokemon Emerald, Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.
    If flashed to the NOR, they will not boot. If in the PSRAM, they will boot past the Gameboy Advance logo, after which a glitch will occur.

For Pokemon, a screen with heavily distorted lines of graphics appears, the introduction plays with sound but no video, the title screen appears with only Rayquaza's glowing lines visible, and it will boot to a blank menu screen. For Zelda, the heavily distorted graphics appear. For both Fire Emblems, distorted sound plays and nothing else.
    So, the problem is that 16MB roms will not work. I can try with a 32MB rom as well, and see what that does if necessary.

I am using GBAexploader 058b MX. I also used Wood's loader, and both have the exact same results. For Pokemon Emerald, I tried using roms from two different sources with the exact same result. And, like I said, 8MB roms work perfectly.
    Thanks for helping.

4. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
  5. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    My mistake, I forgot the 0. I am using 058b0.

6. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
  7. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    I realized that after my last post and used the version you posted, but the results are exactly the same. I'm at a loss here.

8. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
  9. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    I just tried a 32MB rom and it worked perfectly! That means 8MB roms and 32MB roms work, but not 16MB roms.
    It's brand new and 8MB roms work. The battery should work. Could every rom I've tried be dirty? I just tried another and it didn't work either.

10. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    "Brand new" is a relative term. It would have been sitting on some shelf for at least 4 years before you gotten it.

Battery life on the 3in1 is defined when the battery is soldered to the board, not when you get it.

As for dirty roms, depends on your source. You will have to try from another source. Your other option is to dump your own games.

If your game uses EEPROM for save type, you will likely need to patch the game before you can use it.

11. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    You're right that it isn't really new, but if the battery were dead, wouldn't I have more problems than this?
    I've tried several sources with the same result. I've also tried patching with the same result. Everything works except for 16MB roms.
    I'm sorry, but I really don't know what to do.

12. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    The battery can be getting ready to crap out. You would have to read the voltage on it to find out if that is the case.

What 16MB game are you trying to flash?

13. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    I listed some above. I've tried several.
    Pokemon Emerald, Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Megaman Zero 4, The Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap.
    From what I can tell, any 16MB rom will not work. It's very peculiar because 8MB and 32MB work.

14. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem use SRAM for save type. If you can't run these, they are definitely dirty roms.

EEPROM save types:
    Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
    Megaman Zero 4
    The Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap

These you would have to patch if you couldn't run it clean.

Pokemon Emerald uses Flash and GBA ExpLoader correctly patches the save type for you.

Are you using the green screen to write to NOR?

[​IMG]

15. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    I patched Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. It would not run in PSRAM but runs in NOR. That's very strange.
    I suppose that solves my problem. I'd like to be able to use PSRAM for 16MB games, but this does work.
    Thanks for your help.

16. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    Sounds like a dirty rom, likely patched for some other flashcart.

17. Hrmchd
    OP

Hrmchd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    United States
    I'll look into it. At least now I know there's nothing wrong with the 3in1. Thanks again.