External HDD - I/O Error

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by VLinh, Jul 15, 2011.

Jul 15, 2011

External HDD - I/O Error by VLinh at 7:07 PM (937 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. VLinh
    OP

Member VLinh GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I have a 1 TB Seagate External HDD (bought it for 60ish) the fat model ones and I barely use it, maybe moving some files on there every now and then. But suddenly as I was copying some games onto there, I noticed that it would take 2 hours, which I thought was kinda ridiculous and then all of a sudden I got the I/O Device error.

The thing is that im still able to access the files of the HDD but not able to copy or extract files from it

Is there a concrete way to fix this problem without erasing the files on it?

Thanks!

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    "Concrete way to fix this problem" ... simple, take the HDD out of the external enclosure, and put it inside a PC.

Slow speeds (usually meaning USB 1.0 speeds) and I/O errors are symptoms of a problem in the connection between the HDD and the computer. This can be from loose cables (USB cable, IDE/SATA cable inside the enclosure, or possibly power cable providing fluctuating power to the device). This can also be a sign of components wearing out (e.g. the SATA or USB controller of the enclosure, or the actual USB port if it's made with cheap materials). When this happens, it's pretty much a sure sign that the enclosure is going to die soon, and sometimes a sign that the HDD may die too.

It's also possible that there's an I/O error with the HDD itself, sometimes caused by a damaged PCB or from failure to read damaged sectors of the HDD. This becomes more likely if the enclosure is ever moved whilst switched on.

Either replace the enclosure, or put the HDD inside a computer. Those are the best choices you have to fix your device. Also, run a SMART scan (programs like SpeedFan can do this) to see the condition of your HDD.

3. VLinh
    OP

Member VLinh GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Is there a place which sells the enclosures or will the manufacturer of the product have some? I might be buying a new laptop soon, so I guess I can use my HDD on that one. I believe my comp was meant for USB 1.0 Speeds and was stupid not to check the speed of my comp's USB rate.

This definitely helps, thanks!

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    To the best of my knowledge, no external drive manufacturer (e.g. WD Passport) sells the standalone enclosure. However there are many shops (online and probably local) that sells plenty of enclosures in various styles. Just an example, Newegg.ca.

5. lemmymet

Banned lemmymet Banned

Netherlands
    Try error scan with hdtune

6. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I/O errors are bad bad bad.

If you're lucky it's just the enclosure. The problem is if you pry open the enclosure you void the warranty. So it's a bit of a catch-22. If the thing is out of warranty then rip it open and check what kind of HD is inside (SATA/PATA). Then get an enclosure that's compatible. Begin praying that your data is not totally screwed up.

If you continue to get I/O errors, the drive is dead. Take a hammer to it so no one else, including yourself can use it by accident. Do not reuse it as any data you put on there even after the format is going to be lost.