External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by timishu, Feb 7, 2009.

Feb 7, 2009

External Hard Drive by timishu at 2:05 AM (1,194 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. timishu
    OP

Member timishu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been using a USB flash drive for a lot of the media that I use on my Wii and it works great. However, I am running out of room pretty quick. Will the Wii be able to read a 300GB external USB hard drive? It is formatted to FAT32.

2. X D D X

Member X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    It should work on the Homebrew that allows USB to be used. My 40GB external Works perfectly with Mplayer.

3. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    yes a 320 gig western digital "book" external hdd is around 80$ @ your local wal-mart and will work gr8 (my experience is that the new GeeXbox unofficial build has the best format support, for larger externals (mine will confuse the mplayers directories it cant seem to read LARGE drives...but the New Un official GeeXbox media player can! it also has a Visualizations feature for mp3s that i really enjoy (have a 500 gig running fine with all the emus with suffix GX like SnesGX or GensGX or VbaGX also have really sweet external drive support! I can load all 10 gigs-ish of gba roms [​IMG] from a single folder on my external for example [​IMG]

4. SomeGuy2009

Member SomeGuy2009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Will the Wii read the usb drive just like it does the SD? in other words if I place a exact copy of the contents of my SD Ect.. on my USB Hard Drive and remove my SD card from the Wii will all my wads that are now on my USB Drive still work?

SomeGuy

5. xmanfit0

Newcomer xmanfit0 Newbie

United States
    no. The HBC only reads off the SD port, as far as I know.