explain?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by gigcees, Jan 3, 2011.

Jan 3, 2011

explain? by gigcees at 4:15 PM (2,667 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. gigcees
    OP

Member gigcees GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    ok how does this new thing work with keys

Will i be able to burn games and play them on my non jailbroken ps3

will i be able to use a external harddrive?

2. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Rydian covered it here.

If someone makes and signs a homebrew for playing backups (spoiler: likely) you will be able to play backups on your non-jailbroken PS3.

If someone implements USB support (like a USB loader for playing backups) into a homebrew you will be able to use your external hdd.

3. gigcees
    OP

Netherlands
    so if someone makes a backup loader , i will probably have to burn it on a disc and run it on my ps3 or what?

4. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    As stated in the post you are quoting, you will be able to use your external hdd for playing backups if someone makes a signed USB loader homebrew and you will be able to play backups burned on discs if someone makes a signed homebrew that launches backups from burned discs.

A USB loader will likely be made unless some currently unknown problem is ecountered.

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    No. You're thinking too small. Nearly anything is possible now. Just wait.

6. gigcees
    OP

Netherlands
    Thank You

7. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I hope that you can just use any usb storage to copy your homebrew to the ps3. Well, worst cause should be a fake update server that updates to a custom firmware, a jailbreak device is hopefully not needed anymore in 1-2 weeks.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You can install a firmware update (a .PUP file) from a USB device or memory stick (if your PS3 has memory stick reader, only some do I believe), so no fake update server should be necessary. However, I believe that you will be unable to install homebrew directly off a USB device in official firmware, which does not have the "Install PKG" option added by Jailbreak devices. Having said that, it should be fairly simple for a developer to patch an update with the "Install PKG" option enabled (it only requires loading an extra XML file when booting the PS3 apparently, thats what the jailbreak devices do, among other things) and sign the update, so it will install without problem on any PS3, no jailbreak device required.

9. WiiPower

Germany
    So why didn't anybody do this yet:
    Grab the update from GT5
    Unpack it
    Mod to allow installing stuff
    Sign and pack it
    put on usb
    install
    profit

?

Does anybody need a more custom firmware?

[Sorry for the lack of knowledge, i don't have a ps3, but i'm intested in all this]

10. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    question is, will the ps3 finally be able to recognize external drives that are using anything other then fat32?

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If somebody makes a filesystem driver for it.

12. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    Wait wait wait wait wait
    So this means we can update to 3.55 and play our original games but also knowing that we will be able to play backups eventually? [​IMG]

13. palasx

Newcomer palasx Advanced Member

United States
    im pretty sure this was explained. the PRIVATE keys were released. Sony is fucked. they cannot revoke these trusted keys without invalidating all current software signed with them. There may be further protections built into new games or firmware however. For instance, a firmware could be loaded to check its own CRC/hash and if it doesnt match a known value, fail to load. same for games, which can check the firmwares hash against known values, then fail to load if it doesnt match. but thats a super simplified version of what the signing process does, and would be VERY EASILY defeated since we can just modify the firmware and resign it anyhow.

tl;dr - yeah, go ahead and update if you want. if you dont already have jailbroken ps3, dont worry, soon you wont even need it.

14. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Even better, they can simply grab an update from Sony's website. They host the .PUP files there. I believe several people have been trying to get it working, but its proving slightly trickier than expected. PSJailbreak managed to get the "Install PKG" option to show simply by making the PS3 load a different XML file during boot process (game_tool2.xml instead of game.xml or something along those lines), but for some reason permanently switching those two files in the .PUP and signing it didn't work.

15. rookrook

Member rookrook GBAtemp Regular

United States
    nice to see some of the brains from the wii scene here ,hope you guys dip your toes in the ps3 waters and open up the scene like you have with the wii

16. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Just out of curiosity, who are you referring to here? The only person in this thread I recognize as having done anything for the Wii scene is WiiPower with TBR, GC ocarina and some backup stuff (not too interested in the last bit personally, not sure what he's done, but i think he's released a loader or something)

17. rookrook

Member rookrook GBAtemp Regular

United States
    and why would it concern you who i regard as some of the brains from the wii scene ? and as for your comment on backup stuff why would you mention that as i didnt :/,you got something against it ?apart from anything else whats your point in mentioning it ? man some ppl!

18. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
  19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I think there's a misunderstanding.
    He didn't mean any offense.
    There's nothing offensive or insulting about his post.

He was asking because he was curious who in this thread you were referring to. I mean that IS why the post starts with "Just out of curiosity".

20. WiiPower

Germany
    I would be more happy about bushing, marcan, Waninkoko and Hermes.

PS: Forgot svpe