"Exception (DSI) occurred" on startup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Burning Rain, Jan 12, 2010.

Jan 12, 2010
  1. Burning Rain
    OP

Newcomer Burning Rain Newbie

After several monthes of flawless performance my Wii has stopped starting up. Everytime I turn it on, a black screen shows up with "Exception (DSI) occurred" and a code dump. I have a hardmodded launch Wii on 4.0U softmodded according to the stickied guide.

The problems started a few days after last time I used the console (watched a film). Yesterday I turned the Wii on again and the error showed up. After turning it off & on again it passed both bootmii and preloader and went straight to the System menu but everything worked correctly from then on. Today it just straight up shoves the "Exception (DSI)" screen no matter how many times I turn it off & on, take out the SD card or pull the plug.

Any advice?

2. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    preloader pooped it self
    use bootmii to reinstall system menu and then preloader/priiloader (whatever you want)

3. Burning Rain
    OP

Thanks, will try. Hopefully it will help.

4. Burning Rain
    OP

Still can't find a way to get to bootmii as the error is the first thing that appears no matter, if the SD card is or isn't inserted. I tried to format the card and put a fresh bootmii boot.elf (and Bannerbomb hack just in case) but it didn't do anything. I might've misunderstood something, but I can't find a way to do anything on wii as it crashes every time I power it up.

5. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    you has sd card with bootmii folder inserted?also was it installed as IOS or boot2?

6. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    do you have preloader set up to autoboot something?

i would first try to turn on the wii while holding reset and see if that gets you anywhere.
    if not and you have bootmii at boot2, can you start any app that uses mini?

7. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    lol its saying you need to buy a dsi now

8. shadowtroop

Newcomer shadowtroop Advanced Member

United States
    I'm sorry for the bump, but I have the exact same problem. No bootmii, just exception dsi.

9. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    Is this just prone to preloader, or can it also happen with priiloader if so which revs, asking because i've installed priiloader to quite afew wiis.

10. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Maybe you guys have cruddy SD cards, as I do. Bootmii is pretty unreliable with the card I'm using. It just kind of shows up whenever it wants to.

11. shadowtroop

United States
    Priiloader too.

12. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    I really hope you have bootmii as boot2.
    Pre/Priiloader is crashing. Since it's the first thing your wii boots, you are pretty much full bricked. Preloader can't do anything now to help you. Only bootmii boot2 is found earlier in the boot process, which is your only help.

13. shadowtroop

United States
    It may be useful to note this happened after updating HBC and Bootmii. I am certain that I have boot2 bootmii, so I'm gonna check my sd card.

Here's the log.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What would cause pre/iiloader to crash? Or would it just do that when it feels like it. Will I be happily using my Wii, and one day it'll be fully bricked because Pre/iiloader pooped itself?! 0.0

15. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I think I remember reading somewhere that Priiloader does not like the launching IOS to be patched.

IOS60 seems to be trucha-signed according to the log so it might be the reason but I don't see why it would, DSI errors are more likely bug in the code (illegal access to memory ?).

Seems odd though since it's supposed to act as brick protection, not the contrary, but yeah, priiloader patches the system menu startup routine and if that code becomes buggy (which can happen once a program is open-source) and is not throughfully tested before sharing it publically, it becomes also very dangerous. I'm not sure all people that blindly folllowed guides telling them to install priiloader are full aware of that...

16. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    But isn't Priiloader tested? Are you saying that one shouldn't install it?!?! 0.0 Or do the ** outweigh the risks?