Hacking Exactly what drives can rip Wii games?

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm building a computer for someone (as I do often) and instead of giving them a new drive, I'm going to give them my current one and get myself a drive that can rip Wii games.

So which SPECIFIC MODELS can rip Wii games? Only LG, right? Where can I find a list?

Thanks!

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The list of officially supported drives by the dumping tool is in the readme/nfo for that program.

Anything else is anyone's guess.

Since the program uses drive specific debugging commands, the chances of it working with something other than LG/Hitachi drives from a specific model ranges is very very rare.

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I found that it works with the LG 816xb (replace x with 2-4) drives, but they're all just readers.

IMO having a drive that is just a reader is a waste, I'd rather get a burner that can rip these as well.

Has anyone found one?

And is a special drive needed to burn them, or will any drive do?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Read the "how do you burn Wii games" thread to see discussions about matching your burner to various types of media, using different software. Some combinations of the three work, others don't.

As far as a burner that will rip games... I highly doubt there is one, since the debugging codes for a DVD burner are almost certainly different from a simple DVD ROM drive.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just bought an LG GDR-8162B (or so I thought) of ebay which just came in the mail. But there's no sign of "LG" to be found on the sticker, only "HP". The model number is GDR-8162B though. Will it work with Rawdump?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just bought an LG GDR-8162B (or so I thought) of ebay which just came in the mail. But there's no sign of "LG" to be found on the sticker, only "HP". The model number is GDR-8162B though. Will it work with Rawdump?
It should work but you wont know for sure until you try.
My understanding is that Hitachi/LG manufactured these drives as OEMs for HP but they are the same drive. HP then branded them as their own.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just bought an LG GDR-8162B (or so I thought) of ebay which just came in the mail. But there's no sign of "LG" to be found on the sticker, only "HP". The model number is GDR-8162B though. Will it work with Rawdump?It should work but you wont know for sure until you try.
My understanding is that Hitachi/LG manufactured these drives as OEMs for HP but they are the same drive. HP then branded them as their own.

Thanks for your answer. But I have no luck. It looks like it's broken. It doesn't even read original DVD-movies, only CDs
cry.gif

Any idea?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for your answer. But I have no luck. It looks like it's broken. It doesn't even read original DVD-movies, only CDs
cry.gif

Any idea?
Sounds like the laser is out of whack. I'm afraid you got a dud by the sound of it.
Good luck getting it replaced or your money back.

Emu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered the 8164BK and I'm hoping the K doesn't make a difference, input anyone?

(This drive)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136083

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have they own kids now that will pay them back for all the things they did to me, that's how it works, Karma.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell their kids about pawn shops
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol I still got mw2 open beta on this ps4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just recently picked up a n64 from a garage sell, and looking to mod it and add a HDMI port to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3548173115...044&customid=4f3038da73b61afddf7e5e90f4153856
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd like to find a power strip and HDMI selector built in 1 unit, so I can select which game system I want, and will switch to that hdmi, and power on that plug/power supply only, so don't have all game systems powered all the time, but can't find anything like. May just have to make something myself.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe start a kick starter page and sell them, yea right. Big N would prob C&D me, not anything Big N related, but just because that's what they do nowdays. Then come out with they own in a year or so.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nice. Which operating system are you installing?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, windows 10 and some linux distro like linux mint
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    dualbooth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yeah, I'd recommend having another OS just in-case you want to play games.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least Linux doesn't contain spyware than what Windows has.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, cuz of lag?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No. Whenever you use the internet on Windows, Microsoft collects personal data and installs bloatware that isn't necessarily needed, such as Edge.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Speaking of which
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I recall @impeeza mentioned some trick about not having bloatware when installing windows where you set up your country to "world" or smh like that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I also recall my brother downloded a "non bloated" version of windows 11 on his pc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Why debloat? Why not embrace and enjoy my bloat?" - Gates
    +3
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    @Xdqwerty yes, when you are installing Windows on the first steps you are asked for your current location, you MUST to select «international» so no bloatware is installed, because the bloatware is location based. if this night I have some time I will setup a VM and take screenshots.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    User Gates "Disliked" your answer.
    +2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: +1