Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
I say go for it! Just because he's guilty of the same crimes as all government heads, doesn't mean no one has to ask his permission to use his likeness.
Oh, so, what, like we have to ask Nazi's perission everytime a story/movie/game depicts them or Hitler?
Or ask permission from whoever owns the Mona Lisa for every depiction?
If you ask me he should be happy they found some entertaining use for his face/character.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so, what, like we have to ask Nazi's perission everytime a story/movie/game depicts them or Hitler?
Or ask permission from whoever owns the Mona Lisa for every depiction?
If you ask me he should be happy they found some entertaining use for his face/character.
Hitler is long dead, as is the creator of Mona Lisa (Leonardo da Vinci, btw... Did you seriously not know that?). I'm not saying I disagree, but those aren't very good comparisons.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Hitler is long dead, as is the creator of Mona Lisa (Leonardo da Vinci, btw... Did you seriously not know that?). I'm not saying I disagree, but those aren't very good comparisons.
I said "whoever owns the Mona Lisa" not made.
And I'm sure that movie companies/game companies/comic artists/novalists didn't need to pay the Kennedy family, the Bush family or the Obama family anything at all for mentioning or depecting any of their family members. Why should it be any differant for a convicted dictator?
The only times I ever hear about people complaining that they're in somekind of media or medium is when they're depicted as ass-holes, regardless of realism (I'm sure he's had nothing to say about it if he as a character saved a baby from a burning house).

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm sure that movie companies/game companies/comic artists/novalists didn't need to pay the Kennedy family, the Bush family or the Obama family anything at all for mentioning or depecting any of their family members. Why should it be any differant for a convicted dictator?-

If some insane/stupid judge/jury/whatever actually finds in this dickhole's favor, guess that means the end of SNL.

Reactions: Tattorack

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That is more likely to fall into copyright issues and such things get odd, though what doesn't when intellectual property gets involved. Theoretically it is out of copyright but by similar things to what sees publishers of out of copyright/public domain books have some options to do things (the work is not theirs, the typesetting/formatting is so I can not just scan it and reprint that). That is fair enough until you consider that a blanket ban on photography of the image means they could theoretically own the copyright on all the reproductions/scans out there. I am not sure it applies in this case but it does happen in some of them.

Likewise likeness rights and all sorts of other things come into play, it is not a clear cut thing and big game publishers may well have people sorting it all out. Even small TV productions may well have a person with a main task of getting clearance on things. I linked to one of the oddities from recent years on the first page ( http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Will...o_Game_Developers_Can_Avoid_Legal_Trouble.php ).

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I didn't read carefully enough.

Either way though, it's not a very good comparison. There's a huge difference between the likeness of a living person and the likeness of a painting made by someone during the Renaissance, who is now dead.
And I'm sure that movie companies/game companies/comic artists/novalists didn't need to pay the Kennedy family, the Bush family or the Obama family anything at all for mentioning or depecting any of their family members. Why should it be any differant for a convicted dictator?
The only times I ever hear about people complaining that they're in somekind of media or medium is when they're depicted as ass-holes, regardless of realism (I'm sure he's had nothing to say about it if he as a character saved a baby from a burning house).

As I said before, I'm not saying I disagree. You can see that I did towards the beginning of this thread but now, I'm not quite sure what I think of the whole situation.

Reactions: Tattorack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2