Ex-Dictator Manuel Noriega sues over depiction in Call of Duty

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

If there's one thing any Ex-Dictator has to worry about, it's his image. Well, that and the convictions, but mostly the image thing.

Manuel Noriega, former dictator of Panama, understands this perfectly, and now he intends to use the same justice system that put him behind bars to get some justice of his own.

:arrow:The Los Angeles Times

Yes, because if there's one thing Noriega has to fret over, it's a video game making him, the former dictator guilty of corruption, drug trafficking, money laundering, human rights abuses, and murder, seem like a bad guy. Of all the preposterous elements of the Call of Duty franchise, this surely takes the cake.

Of course, it seems pretty unlikely that this case would have any standing in any sort of court, especially considering that the depiction of historical figures, living and dead, in fiction is not exactly a new thing. If Fidel Castro, Richard Nixon, John F. Kennedy, and Robert McNamara can be depicted as a zombie-slaughtering quartet without issue, I think Noriega is facing an uphill battle here.

Don't breath easy yet, though. You better watch out, Van Halen, because you're next on the list!

Tattorack likes this.

2. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I say go for it! Just because he's guilty of the same crimes as all government heads, doesn't mean no one has to ask his permission to use his likeness.

Skelletonike and xwatchmanx like this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
  4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Ofcourse you do ;')
    Good luck bribing the judge, nothing new for you anyway ;')

5. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    Some would say, it would be an honor.

6. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    At second glance this is not as absurd as it sounds first. Money must be paid for using sport stars in sport games. There is no difference to famous good and bad people in shooting games. Only if he is used in the game in a historical context as a historical person he should not get money.

7. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

[​IMG]

Does anyone really care though?

BortzANATOR likes this.
  8. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    How someone can have the title of "Ex-Dictator"...?
    Anyway, I bet this is going nowhere because in the end, what is on CoD is true...

9. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Because he used to be a dictator and was removed from power, meaning he is not currently a dictator.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I'm just gonna take a guess here, but probably by being taken out of power by someone else :mellow:

As for the news, meh. As someone who only bothers with Call of Duty for the "story", it's campaign is hardly memorable at all. Like, I wasn't even aware he was in Black Ops 2 despite completing the campaign twice.

11. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    I meant that basically, it is a weird title, not something that you would think it can be used to label someone. (I still can't express what I mean here, but I hope you understand what I really want to say :/)

12. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

...How? That's just how the prefix "ex" is used.

13. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Check my edited post.
    Anyway, as someone that doesn't care about CoD, is he mentioned often/a big part of the plot?

14. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    People in positions like him basically have to accept that their image is officially public domain.
    Activision doesn't need permission to use his image, especially in a realistic enough portrayal.

15. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Activision needed to put a hit out on the guy, would have been way cheaper than paying for his permission to use him in the game.

Or had some sort of crazy deal with the Russian's or the Chinese, like one of those convoluted Black Ops games.

Either way this should be an interesting case, I am sure Activision will argue that a criminal should not be able to profit from criminal activities.

16. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Damn, I hope Hitler doesn't find out about his depictions in games, or else that would be the end of the FPS genre as we know it today...

Tattorack and coolmario like this.
  17. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    I might get some hate for this, but I understand why he's suing.

I mean, regardless of how you look at it, he was explicitly portrayed in a huge AAA video game without his consent. What crimes he's committed, who he is, or what country he's from doesn't all of a sudden make it okay from a legal standpoint.

As for the Hitler comparisons, the man has been dead for 70 years, so it's not quite the same thing.

18. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

He's in 2-3 missions, and he's pretty much a side character. He's more in the background of the scenes than anything else.

Except he's a historical figure, and as such (iirc), he's free reign for fiction. The libel claim holds no ground, or shouldn't hold ground, because Black Ops II is an obvious work of fiction and makes no pretense that this is meant to be a realistic portrayal of him (or war in general, really).

coolmario and matpower like this.
  19. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    What a Dick-tater :shit:

Im sure NO ONE will have sympathy for a Douche like him on any level.....Mmmmmm him and Lindsay Lohan should combine their Lawsuits and get some Un-Star power to get people to notice.........

20. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    honestly... nope. :)