Ever donated Blood?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by gamesquest1, Oct 4, 2019.

1. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    Donating blood is actually really healty for your own body. Its regenerates new blood cells and keep hemostasis safe.

2. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Thanks to al those that donate Blood!!!
    It really saves lifes (mine included)

Not going into to much details of what i have:
    I need every 10 to 14 days 2 packages of blood (My own body doesn't make enough red and white blood) and 2x a week i need platelets (those only life for 5 days)
    Also need to take pills to reduce my iron (you get to much iron from getting blood).
    This because my Bone Marrow is dried out. I had a therapy that you can compare to a soft resset on PC if that doesn't help in the comming months a bone marrow transplant is needed, compare this to a hard resset
    So if i didn't recieve blood, i would be death a year ago.

So again, Thanks to those who donate blood, you really are real Hero's who save lifes!

[EDIT]
    My bone marrow used to make ZERO red and white blood cells and ZERO platelets, after the therapy it seems the bone marrow is restarting bit by bit, so it now makes some red and white blood cells but no platelets yet
    Only the comming months will tell if my bone marrow will fully restarts it's production lines of everything
    Only 1 in 4 million ppl have what i have (Very Severe Aplastic Anemia) and from the 3 known degrees i had the worst one (the ZERO thing) i now moved to the middle degree ;)

The cause of my Aplastic Anemia is not known (and it's mostly never found by most who have it) but for now it's blamed on different chemicals and medicines used in the past and it was VERY slowly killing my bone marrow

Last edited by DjoeN, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I've given blood plenty of time. Still do it when I think of it, but my schedule is pretty tight at the moment. :unsure:

alexander1970 likes this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Only thing I've donated was plasma, which sometimes leaves me dizzy. But whole blood donations would make me feel worse.

5. supernintendo128

supernintendo128 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2019
    United States
    Alabama
    I like the idea but I am terrified of needles and don't know my blood type.

6. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i don't think i will be allowed to forget :rofl:, i have been called 5 times since donating to book another appointment, i cant really book one as the next date i can donate is Christmas, so i don't know what my schedule will be around then, haven't had any more calls for a few days so hopefully they will leave it to closer to the actual date now, i saw a few other people complaining online about the phone calls putting them off, i know its important but if you don't make an appointment the first time they call and say your unable to plan the next visit yet they should at least wait a month before trying again, especially when its already pretty much 3 months away until i can donate anyway

7. billapong

billapong GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2019
    United States
    I've never donated blood and I have a condition where I can't even if I wanted to. The same thing with plasma. I'd really like $35 every so many weeks for doing much of nothing, but sadly I'm not allowed. I wonder if there are people who lie about their condition and if there's any way to detect they are lying (before something bad happens to an innocent person)?

8. Dinoduck

Dinoduck Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    United States
    NY
    No, I have a few chronical illnesses so sorry, nobody gets my blood.

9. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Donated blood once in high school. Havent donated since. Got me out of school work for the day because I looked pale.

Dinoduck and alexander1970 like this.
  10. SantaClaus

SantaClaus Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2019
    Antarctica
    Santa's secret base
    I remember reading someone argue that men should donate blood to remove excess iron from the body which bacteria can use to grow more quickly. Not sure if this is fact or fiction.

Dinoduck and alexander1970 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted