Eurogamer: PS4 developers can only access a guaranteed 4.5GB of RAM, rest reserved for the OS.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jul 26, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    *Update* Ron mentioned that Sony have released official word on the matter. As they describe it the issue was a misinterpretation of the actual setup which appears to be a mix of traditional memory and a kind of virtual memory which is also available for access by the game. Further quotes on Eurogamer and the post itself.

[​IMG]

The most lauded part of the PS4 specs is the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. While most people were expecting game developers to have access to 7GB of that RAM, it seems that the amount of memory reserved to devs is less than the Xbox One which offers 5GB to devs versus 4.5 on the PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

2. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    rather ridiculous really. If they actually focused their consoles on GAMES, this wouldn't happen.

calmwaters likes this.
  3. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I can understand 1GB, maybe even two, but 3.5 seems rather excessive.

4. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Up to 5GB of RAM (with caveats) is still quite a bit compared to current generation consoles. I think OSes shouldn't be so big on game consoles though. Kind of stupid if you ask me.

5. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    To be expected, really. It is silly that an OS needs so much RAM but its nothing new...

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Well, the PS4 is supposed to be able to record and upload a whole lot of gameplay footage on the fly, so I'm guessing that's where the demand for RAM comes from.

As far as RAM usage goes, 4.5-5.5 gb should be more than plenty for game developers. I mean, we've been dealing with 256-512 mb as a console standard for quite some time now, so no matter what, it's still a huge leap forward. There's no real need to complain about this RAM job.

gamefan5, Kippykip, tronic307 and 3 others like this.
  7. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Why would a console OS need so much RAM?
    The PS3 OS did a fine job and it fit with a game in 256MB of RAM. (correct me if I'm wrong)

8. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Probably to avoid the same problem with the PS3. IIRC the PS3 couldn't get features like cross game chat due to the ram (something they fixed with the Vita).

9. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Isn't this the same with PC games?

10. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Key highlights in PS4 are gameplay streaming and background downloading, so additional RAM are probably for these tasks.

11. marksteele

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada

Not really. For one thing, windows 7 requires only 2GB (minimum ofc), and for another, you can actually upgrade your ram on a PC, can't on a console.

12. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    All you need is a 8gbs of ram for gaming pcs, how many games out there take 3gbs of ram to run?

13. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

With XMB, you also have to wait for icons to load which to be honest is pretty fucking irritating.

14. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    I thought that PS4 had 16gb... Anyway, X360 has 512mb GDDR3 I think and can do mult task so I doubt that PS4 would need 3.5gb GDDR5 for the system. Even that the news do not look like just a gossip, I think I dont believe it.

15. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    Not sure why I feel let down by this. When I heard the console had 8GB I thought, wow 7GB for games which seemed to open up all sorts of possibilities for the future. Perhaps 4.5 is enough but is does lower my expectations somewhat.

16. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Technically, Windows 7 and 8 only require 1GB of RAM - although they state 2GB minimum for the 64-bit version, I have Windows 8 64-bit running at around 900MB of RAM at startup with Rainmeter, Core Temp and AutoHotKey running in the background. You need 1.5-2GB to actually do much of anything, sure, but you can run them on a gig or so.

And that's what confuses me most about this news. The PS4 likely isn't aiming to run as complex an operating system as Windows; it'll likely be a more RAM-friendly, cut down Linux-based OS. The basics of it, even with the eye candy for menus and backgrounds, should not total out to even one gig of RAM. The premium features, such as background downloads and cross-chat and video recording, shouldn't take up a whole lot more than another GB, unless they're letting us record for a near-limitless amount of time, or record our voice chats as well, or something equally ridiculous. Reserving anything more than 2GB just seems wasteful to me.

17. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Haha Sony fanboys, the honeymoon is OVER!
    No RamBytes = no Graphicks: PS4 Doomed!
    ^_^

What is with these new consoles reserving 1/2 their RAM for the OS?
    Just to swap in and out between game and OS is not a good enough reason imo.

Costello, Duo8 and yuyuyup like this.
  18. marksteele

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada

mmm my assumption was that consoles run 64 bit architecture.

19. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Wow, big deal... It's not like games require that much ram to begin with, seriously.

20. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Streaming open worlds would like to have a word with you.

21. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The more consoles try to do outside of gaming, the more they lose their advantage of getting the most out of their hardware for games versus PC.

22. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    I'm a bit surprised, but then again, quite a few games on the PC side can run on a lot less RAM than 4.5 GB. The OS and other stuff such as anti-virus software take up RAM quite fast when running alongside the games. The video recording does seem to take a lot, but we'll see how this ends up in the future. It's not like they couldn't release more RAM after the OS optimizes a bit more.