Eurogamer: PS4 developers can only access a guaranteed 4.5GB of RAM, rest reserved for the OS.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 10,094
  • Replies 104

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
About the NO NEW IP THING of Nintendo: Bullshit! There are new IPs regularly its just that YOU dont like them.
Have a list off the top of my head within the last ten years:
  • Miis - not even a game
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Fit
  • Disaster - Day of Crisis (Nintendo owns Monolith thus its a new Nintendo IP)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (See above)
  • Dillions Rolling Western
  • Yarn (as in Kirbys Yarn and Yoshis Yarn, the Yarn concept is new while being applied to tried characters) - Here is a problem I've been saying for a while, but you tend to ignore. This game does not have anything to do with Kirby, the game originnaly was called Fluff no Yarn and it main character was Prince Fluff, Kirby was added to the game the same way Mario was added to Doki Doki Panic and named Super Mario Bros 2. It's what I've been saying about overusing a character on games that shoudn't have them.
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Rythm Heaven
  • Steel Diver
  • Endless Ocean - basically a sequel of Everblue 2 for PS2, and also developed by Akira
  • Art Academy
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Wii Music - again, not even a game
  • Wario Ware (Same character completely new concept) Exactly ten years, but point taken
  • Mario and Donkey Kong Minis (Tried characters new concept)
And thats just off the top of my head. And even if you only count HALF of those, its still a lot and I am sure I missed many. And thats only the last ten years. Strech this to fifteen and you get smash bros, pikmin, chibi robo, eternal darkness ect. also.

Nintendo HAS new I.P.s I'ts just that you tend to ignore them because they dont feature a new character YOU like...

Most of these franchises are acquired by Nintendo, they only publish them.
My point is, Nintendo could be developing new franchises, instead of overusing Mario on games that do not have anything to do with him.
When Nintendo announced Pikimin everybody was surprised and excited with it,
what if Nintendo started focusing on creating new franchises rather than doing a Mario and Sonic at the Olympics?

My main point was they didn't start under Sony, they were bought by them.

And how does that diminish Sony?
Most Nintendo franchises are developed by other studios, yet we still consider them part of Nintendo's IPs.

So anyways, about the topic, I read about developers might get spoiled about that much available RAM, I kind of agree with that only on the basis that the recent generation's max was 512MB, to suddenly go to 4GB and not have enough, certainly looks like a lack of optimization to me. I can count a few PC games that could use that much.

Developers these days are spoiled as hell.
Bayonetta on PS3 is the perfect example of developer lazyness.
Most multiplat games look better on X360 because devs don't even take time to do a decent port.
4.5GB of unified RAM should be more than enough for the next decade easily,
no matter how much unnoptimized the game is, I still can't see it using 5.5 GB of unified RAM,
especially considering it is GDDR5

PS4 now uses a architecture that everybody knows how to code,
it has a unified GDDR5 RAM memory, yet we don't know much details about the GPU,
it seems there is no more excuses for developers to make bad ports

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see what all the complaints are for. 4.5GB is more than plenty. Even a PC needs at the most 4 gigs (at the highest bus speed/freq) for a game to be able to run smooth/efficient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse