Hacking ESRB ratings in Wii Wads

Chaorain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a thought. I have to working wads that have different ESRB ratings (confirmed by the parental controls) what are the chances of bricking my Wii if I swap the files between the two wads one at a time till I find the correct file that has the rating?

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chaorain said:
I had a thought. I have to working wads that have different ESRB ratings (confirmed by the parental controls) what are the chances of bricking my Wii if I swap the files between the two wads one at a time till I find the correct file that has the rating?
I would say that the worst that could happen is a 'banner brick' as you shouldn't be affecting the system software.

I'm not sure how likely that is, though you could take precautions (do you have a modchip?) so that you can recover from it.

Chaorain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, no mod chip. Just a plain NTSC-U Wii 3.2 firmware with HBC B8. I do have a back up of the file system/NAND (not sure if they are different but I have them both backed up). I assume by 'banner brick' you mean it freezes at the banner(the one with 'Wii menu' and 'Start'). What ways do you recommend for protection?

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that a banner brick means that the Wii will not load beyond the Health screen. I'm not sure on this, but if you install the recovery menu from the Starfall hacks, you might be able to fix a banner brick without a modified Wii. However, make sure that you have the Twilight Hack on your Wii, as you would need that to remove the WAD that has the bad banner. Again, I am not sure if Starfall can recover from that or not, so use at your own risk.

Chaorain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll look into that thanks. As of now I'm not sure I want to do something so big with out being able to easily reverse it with out any side effects. *Off to look at Starfall hacks*

EDIT: The Starfall hack is permanent so I won't install it but I did find one better that is not permanent. Here is the link here.
EDIT2: After trying this new hack It doesn't look like this is what I thought it was. So in other words never mind.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you get banner bricked you either need a modchip (possible to do after bricking) or starfall (must be done before bricking)

Both are permanent, as you need to have them going as you turn on the wii.

Chaorain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't want to do anything that would void the warranty or not be able to be undone. But what do you think the chance of getting banner bricked would be? I think if there was an error the Wii would just freeze. like ot did for me about 10 when I was trying to edit the banner file and get it right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay