Homebrew ROM Hack Homebrew game Emulator Error loading backup .SAV Files after Homebrew 2DS XL format

xotcgamingvids

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an outdated version of my 2DS XL homebrew and other apps. The entire Homebrew is run through an SD Card no external I put my SD card into my computer and dragged all files/folders to another folder labeled "2DS XL Backup". I then reinserted my SD card back into my 2DS XL, updated my console and formatted my 3DS. Not a good move when its homebrewed...but its done so now I have all the essentials back FBI, Homebrew, Checkpoint, JKSM, etc. I was able to redownload everything fine but then it came time for me to import my old .SAV files into my newly downloaded CIA games. I tried this on Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon and when I go to (Nintendo 3DS/"/"/title/00040000/"Game ID"/data/00000001.sav) on my SD card I replace the new .SAV file with the old .SAV File. When I load up the game it says "The saved game data is corrupted." This is where I don't know what to do. I have my backup of my old 2DS XL Files do I revert to the backup or try to revive the .SAV from being corrupt. I tried loading it on JKSM and it wont let me back up the file it gives me an error screen and in Checkpoint it doesn't show up on my titles list at the top of the screen.

I really appreciate your time for reading this and helping me through this!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[...]Not a good move when its homebrewed[...]
That has nothing to to with homebrew or custom firmware. The "Format System Memory" (aka Factory Reset) option throws away the user profile, installed titles and changes the encryption key rendering backups of previous SD contents useless.

I don't get it. What do people try to accomplish with sacrificing their data? What to expect from an option that clearly warns the user that it will delete data?
  • A NAND backup from before using the format option will restore the the encryption key
    • You might need to run faktik to restore missing titles on Home Menu (shown greyed out with a small x on the titles in Data Management)
  • You might be able to find KeyY with the "CTRTransfer Type D9" script
For the future: Backup the saves with JKSM/Checkpoint and store them in unencrypted form on your computer.

*Sigh*
In any case: Good luck and have fun!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know for sure, but I've been backing up my keyY.bin from nand backups (0x910-0x91F). I think turdpoocharger mentioned that being it. it's been the same for every nand backup, so that may be it (not entirely sure):

1633101060798.png

xotcgamingvids

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That has nothing to to with homebrew or custom firmware. The "Format System Memory" (aka Factory Reset) option throws away the user profile, installed titles and changes the encryption key rendering backups of previous SD contents useless.

I don't get it. What do people try to accomplish with sacrificing their data? What to expect from an option that clearly warns the user that it will delete data?
  • A NAND backup from before using the format option will restore the the encryption key
    • You might need to run faktik to restore missing titles on Home Menu (shown greyed out with a small x on the titles in Data Management)
  • You might be able to find KeyY with the "CTRTransfer Type D9" script
For the future: Backup the saves with JKSM/Checkpoint and store them in unencrypted form on your computer.

*Sigh*
In any case: Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for your response. I still have all the data from the old 3DS. Am I able to revert back to the old ID and restore everything back to before the format. @godreborn your saying I can try to backup from the keyY bin for my old save

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine from a nand backup. I'm not entirely sure if that's the correct offset. length appears to be right though. the keyY on my o3ds from doing a9lh is one line long, but that location in the NAND is F'd out for some reason. it's not like that with godmode now, so I don't know why it shows up like that with a9lh series of steps.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doubtful. I don't know how that emulator works or anything, but I'm sure it suffers from the same restrictions as a normal 3ds.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem is that the save is encrypted, I assume by the movable.sed, since that's what encrypts stuff on the sd card. you can get the movable.sed from a nand backup. it starts with SEED in ascii.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: godreborn

xotcgamingvids

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys so so much the feedback is beyond helpful! My next big mountain to climb would be getting the seed data and there aren’t any video tutorials on the internet unfortunately so if you guys have any info on walking me through it that would be great!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
getting the seed from a nand backup is pretty easy, you just need to look for SEED in text (ascii), then it's 320 bytes.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Checkpoint will detect and show the games after you booted the game at least once, only then you can backup/restore save. And you shouldn't've put it on the 3DS folder manually. If you made that backup save with Checkpoint previously, then it should restore it.

xotcgamingvids

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have "Movable.sed" File im missing the KeyY.bin File and don't know where to locate it and if it is necessary for the restore but have everything else for a godmode9 reinstall of the seed through CTR Transfer should be set. Do I need to use a HEx editing tool as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    38.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    43.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by xotcgamingvids,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now that you have movable.sed, all you need is ninfs on your PC (along with boot9.bin, but that's easy to get), and you can decrypt any of the data on your old SD card backup. Once the file is decrypted, you can unpack it using 3ds-save-tool and the resulting files can be restored with Checkpoint. You don't need KeyY for anything.

There are no guides for this, but I was helping someone with this recently over at https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-getting-saves-off-an-o3ds-nand.592468/post-9549190 .

(You can also use your new movable.sed to re-encrypt the data, but then you will also have to use Godmode9 to fix the CMAC, and you would still have to use Checkpoint to clear the Anti Savegame Restore protection, and in the end the result would be exactly the same – so it's probably easier just to use 3ds-save-tool.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"