Homebrew Error compiling Descent source code for Wii

Geekfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to modify the field of view when playing Descent on Wii (especially in widescreen), but I'm running into compile errors from the Descent Wii source by Tueidj.

A minute later after I started compiling, it threw an error saying "fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory".

It's strange because I thought devkitPro provides zlib on its Wii/GC package, but apparently not. No problem, I hope, so I installed the missing zlib files from "zlib-1.2.5-ppc.tar.bz2" to appropriate folders and the error went away.

Then the next error stumbled me, and I don't know what to do:
blit.S
tmap_per.S
vecmatppc.S
fixppc.S
wii_exception.S
linking ... descent.elf
f:/devkitpro/devkitppc/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/11.2.0/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld.exe: netipx.o:F:/devkitPro/descent-wii-master/source/main/netipx.c:96: multiple definition of `Players'; gameseq.o:F:/devkitPro/descent-wii-master/source/main/gameseq.c:111: first defined here
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/wii_rules:30: /opt/devkitpro/descent-wii-master/descent.elf] Error 1
rm d_textures.tpl
make: *** [Makefile:108: build] Error 2

> Process Exit Code: 2

I'm not really sure what's at fault here. Even though it wasn't marked red, collect2.exe seems to be causing the stop error, as the line before that doesn't look like some sort of error.

I'm using the latest libraries provided by devkitPro Update 3.0.3 as of few days ago. Any help appreciated.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The line before that is absolutely the error.

Most likely that application hasn't been updated to work with the -fno-common parameter that newer GCCs use by default. Easiest - if that application is no longer being maintained - is probably to use an older version of devkitPPC to get this to compile.

Reactions: JuanMena

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm trying to modify the field of view when playing Descent on Wii (especially in widescreen), but I'm running into compile errors from the Descent Wii source by Tueidj.

A minute later after I started compiling, it threw an error saying "fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory".

It's strange because I thought devkitPro provides zlib on its Wii/GC package, but apparently not. No problem, I hope, so I installed the missing zlib files from "zlib-1.2.5-ppc.tar.bz2" to appropriate folders and the error went away.

Then the next error stumbled me, and I don't know what to do:

I'm not really sure what's at fault here. Even though it wasn't marked red, collect2.exe seems to be causing the stop error, as the line before that doesn't look like some sort of error.

I'm using the latest libraries provided by devkitPro Update 3.0.3 as of few days ago. Any help appreciated.
I've made a fork of it, you can find the updated link here.

You could also PM me the source code changes or just make a Pull Request, I will check it when I have some time, recompile, and test your changes.

Geekfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Your fork of Descent for Wii is where I got the source code.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test any code changes, as I couldn't compile it without errors. I don't know which older package of devkitPPC was used to compile it, or how the compile workspace was set up before devkitPro.

Looking at the source code, I think line 64 in "source\main\render.c" sets the player's field of view, though I don't know if incrementing or decrementing the value would increase the FOV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol