Error code - 160-2713 - USB drive

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by markmcrobie, Oct 29, 2016.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I've been installing games using WUP Installer to a USB2 320GB hard drive. They work fine, but 3 or 4 times now I've had a black screen error on Wii U with the Error code - 160-2713. It says something to do with not enough power.

I'm not using a Y cable currently (I have one ordered from Amazon), but the drive has worked fine in the same Wii U as a vWii backup loader previously, with no issues. I also Googled the error and found some people with Y cables till get the error, so thought I'd ask here anyway.

If I used a 64GB or 128GB USB thumb drive instead, would that be less prone to this error? What about an externally powered USB desktop drive?

I don't want to install loads of games and start playing them only to find I have to install them all over again on a new drive!

Thanks

2. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    picture of the error maybe ?

3. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I'm on 5.5.1, but this image grabbed from Google shows the same wording:

[​IMG]

4. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    Thanks you ! Have you unplugged an USB HDD before ?

5. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Not sure what you mean

6. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    before this error trigger, have you unplugged a usb key/hdd ?

7. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    No, not at all, it just pops up randomly mid-game

NexoCube likes this.
  8. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    This is crazy, sorry i don't think i can give ou more help ... (How much USB HDD is plugged into the Wii U ?)

9. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I'm now using a Y cable for double power and still getting this error sometimes...

10. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    How old is the drive? If it's randomly turning off, it sounds like it's a failing drive.
    You could also try turning off the sleep function of the drive by following the instructions here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029967 :, not sure if that will help though

11. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Turned that off already, and it's a new-ish WD USB3 drive. I've had the same problem with an older Seagate USB2 drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. DanTheMan827

DanTheMan827 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Plug the hard drive into a windows PC and download seatools, then run a long generic scan on it (it will take a while)

As long as you don't format anything the data on the drive should be fine

Last edited by DanTheMan827, Oct 30, 2016
  13. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    Just curious, which game(s) error out? I get this same error with Ghosts, and only Ghosts for some reason

14. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    can't remember, but it also has happened when installing games via WUP Installer y Mod

15. Blizzzilla

Blizzzilla Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2009
    United States
    I get the same error with my 2.5" USB drive. It's a CnMemory Airy 2.5 USB 3.0 drive with a 750GB Toshiba drive inside, using a Y cable. The error comes up seemingly at random when starting games, but also sometimes during games when the drive was idle for a bit, or when installing updates. Also, sometimes starting a game takes a lot longer than normally. I thought that it might go into sleep mode, so I opened the enclosure (it was not made to be opened >.<) and checked the APM values on a PC. It's set to 254, so it should never spin down and it also doesn't sound like it spins down. I can also rule out a lack of power, since the same error happens when I power it through its 5V input with a 2.5A power brick. I even switched out the drive in the enclosure for a 250GB WD one, but I get the same error.

With an older 3.5" USB drive it works perfectly fine, no issues at all.