Hacking Error #001, Brawl, huh?

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Please note that "all of the above" applies to people having problems getting their games to work on the wiikey (1.9g) or cyclowiz chips, which are confirmed to work 100% fine, w/o tricks or problems, with dual layer discs, once a "good quality burn" is produced.

Those having problems getting this dvd9 copy of the game to work on other chips may be having different, additional or unknown problems at this time. Even if they try many different burners and blank discs combinations, they may never get it to work right. This is specially the case of the d2ckey chip, where it seems so far nobody has been able to get it to work 100% right, off-the-bat w/o any tricks or problems, like in the wiikey and cyclowiz.

Look for help for your specific modchip. It's theorized that those modchips may be locked to a higher 6x reading wii drive speed at which basically no burnt disc will work. It's been experimenting altering the wii's laser to unable better reading compatibility.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
guys, basically you need to try a very recent DL burner (212D, 215bk pioneers are proven) and get yourself some verbatims (+ and -) and burn the non-brickblocked DVD9. Use imgburn and dont mess with the settings, just set burn speed to 2.4X and burn it (watch the buffer bars! shut down most processes and disable firewall and antivirus.)

I'm going to risk it and pretty much guarantee this will work. Guarantee.

PS: listen to enrique.

its-my-right

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I do not understand, again. If wii's laser speed is set at up to 6x, which is a speed that can not able to read burned stuff, why does every backup I made and test works fine on my D2ckey modded wii ?
But well, it is not exactly the main problem.
The othr things i do not understand is that, i saw too on psx scene, as some people here that a few persons who made their own backups succeeded in play a dvd9 copy of the game...so people started to think this was a prolem about the iso released by caravan...
But well, guys, are not Wiikey's user perfectly able to run carvan's iso on their wii ? Since the same iso works on Wiikey, and not on D2ckey, I think it CANNOT be an iso problem, am I wrong ?
So I begin to think too, that it must be a problem about the laser, or stuff like this...
I did not solve everything, but I just wanted to be sure that all I said was clean ?

Kingc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not sure if this is the right topic to ask this...Anyhow...

I am trying the "swap-method", since my DVD9 gives me 001 error, but DVD5 boots fine. However, when trying to swap in the main menu, the green/white screen appears when ejecting the DVD5. When am I supposed to make the swap?

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I do not understand, again. If wii's laser speed is set at up to 6x, which is a speed that can not able to read burned stuff, why does every backup I made and test works fine on my D2ckey modded wii ?
The othr things i do not understand is that, i saw too on psx scene, as some people here that a few persons who made their own backups succeeded in play a dvd9 copy of the game...so people started to think this was a prolem about the iso released by caravan...
But well, guys, are not Wiikey's user perfectly able to run carvan's iso on their wii ? Since the same iso works on Wiikey, and not on D2ckey, I think it CANNOT be an iso problem, am I wrong ?
So I begin to think too, that it must be a problem about the laser, or stuff like this...
I did not solve everything, but I just wanted to be sure that all I said was clean ?

It seems the d2ckey modchip has additional problems running this dvd9 version of the game. There are many rumors and speculation, but no definitive answer just yet.

The recommendation that "bad burn" could be the cause of 99% of the known problems is only for those few that are having issues and are using wiikey 1.9g or cyclowiz, which are known to work 100% without problems/freezes/tricks provided you are able to find a disc that your wii can read fine.

So if you have wiikey or cyclowiz: try different media and/or burner.
If you have any other chip: search for specific help on those chip's forums, as there may be additional problems. One person has reported to have it working on the current yaosm here. Lots of people with dc2key being unable to run it in spite of having burns that sound like should work just fine, so don't waste much time/money trying too many media combinations, etc.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I am trying the "swap-method", since my DVD9 gives me 001 error, but DVD5 boots fine. However, when trying to swap in the main menu, the green/white screen appears when ejecting the DVD5. When am I supposed to make the swap?

About your question, I'm not sure where you are suppossed to make the swap. People say that while in the main menu, but not sure what they mean. I don't have this game or a wii anywhere near me, sorry.

But please note that swapping the DVD5 with the DVD9 is a solution that will, most likely, not work "for real". If you do it that way, your DVD9 will behave like the DVD5 (at best) and give you the same or more problems. So it is not a real solution.

If you have a wiikey 1.9g or a cyclowiz, please try burning the game on a different brand of disc or burning it with a different burner.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

We are talking about potential DUAL LAYER media reading problems at 6X. Obviously the wii can read most SINGLE LAYER burned media quite fine (with very few occasional reading problems or none at all on "better burns").

Please, note that reading DUAL LAYER media takes much more out of the reader. Everybody in the industry knows this. Even Nintendo acknowledges that many wii's may have problems even with the original PRESSED media, and as I said before, decided to press SSBB on the highest quality gold layer media the could get.

If you don't believe/understand this, read this article (i.e.)
http://wii.ign.com/articles/849/849072p1.html

(or go here if you want it from the horse's mouth: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rsbj/info.html)

Specially the part where it says:

QUOTE. This effects Smash Bros. Brawl while leaving other titles unaffected because the new fighter uses a dual layer DVD, which is apparently more sensitive to a dirty lens.

Of course, Nintendo blames this on "dirty lenses", and while that's part of the equaiton (a pickup with a dirty lens will have a hell of a time reading even the best of the best of medias), well, that's not the whole story. Why haven't wii's needed to be "cleaned" until ssbb came out?

And here are the findings MANY MONTHS AGO of the cyclowiz people when they were testing DL support on their chips:
http://www.cyclopswiz.com/ (

Kingc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

About your question, I'm not sure where you are suppossed to make the swap. People say that while in the main menu, but not sure what they mean. I don't have this game or a wii anywhere near me, sorry.

But please note that swapping the DVD5 with the DVD9 is a solution that will, most likely, not work "for real". If you do it that way, your DVD9 will behave like the DVD5 (at best) and give you the same or more problems. So it is not a real solution.

If you have a wiikey 1.9g or a cyclowiz, please try burning the game on a different brand of disc or burning it with a different burner.

Ok, so the swapping method seems to work fine. Well, atleast it has not locked up since I made the swap. My follow up question, however, is how do I know that my Wii actually reads the DVD9 content?

Any tips on how I can check that? Is wifi play for example Dual Layer content, or story mode?

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, so the swapping method seems to work fine. Well, atleast it has not locked up since I made the swap. My follow up question, however, is how do I know that my Wii actually reads the DVD9 content?

Any tips on how I can check that? Is wifi play for example Dual Layer content, or story mode?

Personally I don't know anthing about this game, but some people say you should try playing the match after the fist one in SSE (not VS mode or anything), or use the movies, classic games and to clear more than one stage on SSE.

But in short, try any place where the DVD5 gives you an error.

If you find the DVD9 swaping for DVD5 to work for you, that is also technically very possible, although somewhat unlikely. But also know that a burn of the game can be made where this swapping is not needed.

blindmessiah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
For All who have "green text" error before menu screen.
Go to Wii options and turn off Burn-In reduction.
It works! I wasted 3 days (or more) to go into menu screen
biggrin.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country

The CycloWiz team has whipped together this to test if Wii support dual layer: http://www.cyclopswiz.com/Dual%20Layer%20DVD%20Test.rar

I have not tested it, but they claim it can be burned onto a DVD5 to test.
grog.gif

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys I've been experimenting more and more while i was gone. To help out, here is a small post:

I have tried the game again with a crappier ritek dvd (the one that was freezing) again at 60hz mode and voila! ive almost finished SSE mode (i play REAL slow), all modes options features work fine, no freezing what so ever. In fact, I haven't had a proper freeze ever since the game ran.

Now, somehow my crappy old TV's run the game in 50hz mode and freeze randomly during fights (not videos or menus or SSE mode) so i made more burns on verbatim + and - dl media. The problem persisted.

When i set my wii to 60hz mode, the game never started up. I decided to wait it out, and after about a minute it started to show! Now i have NO freezes what so ever, its well and truly perfect, even on the crappy dual layer media burnt at 4X.

Now for my updated recommendations.

1. Get yourself a new burner for the love of god. They're only like 35 bucks here in AUS for pretty much the best retail burner. If you want this game to run without issues, don't be cheap and buy a new burner. You will benefit a lot from it in the future as well (future wii DL releases, general burn speeds and quality, etc etc...) I can confirm personally that 212D and 215bk pioneers work perfectly and are 2 of the best Dual layer burners available.

2. Get yourself a little selection of Dual layer media. I tried 2 brands, Verbatim and Ritek, and both work fine. I now have 24 ritek DVD+R DL discs (i got them in a spindle) for future experiments with Dual layer wii burning. I know they're a bit pricey, but if you look at it in the long run you're going to use them anyway. I probably spent around 45 dollars AUS for blank DL media. I don't regret it. I still have 24 left.

3. Get a decently operating computer. Buffers are important during burns. If you want a really nice burn, you need a nicely running computer without many processes so your buffer stays at 100% for the entire burn. Consider shutting down those processes.

4. Use imgburn at 2.4X at the default settings. Alternatively the cylcowiz team released a little guide for layer break specs. I personally didn't use that at all. I popped the dvd in, chose the caravan image, chose 2.4x and away it went.

5. I updated with the update on the disc, i really don't see that causing much trouble for me. There are thousands of people with dupe channels from way back and they don't have any problems. Also, the twilight hack is coming along nicely, so it wont be long before we can "format" our wiis back to original firmwares etc etc... Seriously its not the end of the world, I really didn't want the dupe channels now i don't even know they're there.

6. Update your damned wiikey to 1.9g. If you want this game to run, you're going to need 1.9g. Just do the update.

After this, if you STILL get the error 001, then i cant really see you doing much more to get brawl working. If you're using a wiikey, you're pretty shit out of luck even with the original since THAT wont boot either. God knows if an update will come.

However, follow these and it will work. I can almost guarantee it. It cost me around 75 bucks AUS, but its bloody worth it. Great game to play with friends and alone, and new burner and more DL media aren't wasted, I'll be using the pioneer 215bk for years to come.

It all depends on how bad you want it to work.

Have fun.

kalow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to thank everyone on this thread who helped the rest of us.

Special thanks to dirty_harry & enriqueiglesias

I got a working disc on my 4th attempt.

Wii: 3.1U
Wiikey 1.9g

Burner: Imation External Slim (production July 2005)
IMGBurn 2.4 (Burn at 2.4X)
DL Media: Verbatim (Made in Singapore)

Previous fail attempts:

Nero 6 OEM (Burn at 2.4X)

Results: Error #001

Burner: NEC internal on Dell laptop

Results: Disc loads but stuck after 3 stages on SSE

Good Luck.

TehLink

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Wiikey 1.9g

Previous fail attempts:

Good Luck.
Try re-burning it at 4X, that's what I did, and I'm also using a NEC Burner in a Dell Laptop. Everything works perfectly on my SSBB DVD+DL.

ronthorn3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok QUESTION about SINGLE layer smash, DVD5. not dual layer I just want to play vs I dont care about singleplayer. Ok So heres my deal....

-1.9 wii key version installed completely
-burned single layer ssbb with img burn at 2.4 with patched region free, worked, update
came up, i let go all the way, reset, game was shown on menu, clicked it, then i get the dre...
-dre black screen, with the #001 unalthorized device bla bla you know, i know, ive been up for a day haha try this shiz
-I used memorex dvdr-, not +, i was told - were read better by the guys who modded my system
-my burner is a optiarc dvd-rw ad-7173a ata I just bought the computer like 3 weeks ago
-So im really stuck, can someone please help me with thsi sitiuation, i know im close.

Thanks guys

kalow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wiikey 1.9g

Previous fail attempts:

Good Luck.

Try re-burning it at 4X, that's what I did, and I'm also using a NEC Burner in a Dell Laptop. Everything works perfectly on my SSBB DVD+DL.

I got stuck on SSE again. aarrgghh...i was just getting started after whooping Wario.

TehLink, did you use IMGBurn when burning at 4X?

DAREALGUMMY

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this but I finally got a DL burn of the game. I got this error the first time I tried playing it, powered down and tried again. It worked. Now that I have it at home, (I had my wii at a friends house so he can burn the game on his comp) it doesnt want to work anymore. I have a Wiikey. All my backups and SMG work fine. I find it odd that it worked for hours and now it gives me the error again.

rauthelegendary

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I burned it at 4x times speed and SSE goes slow as hell, but normal brawl runs fine. Also the screen is too large... (my DL discs don't support 2.4... I found out while I wanted to burn) So my only option seems to be to buy some verbatim.. another three days of waiting....

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heran Bago said:
4-Let us know the recording software and booktype used (if any) and the burner used. (i.e. imgburn, dvdbooktype set to dvd-rom, lg 233 burner).
Nero Burning ROM at 2.4x, Imgburn at 1x (lol). My disc drive is a FUJITSU MHV2100AT PL. QUOTE(Heran Bago @ Feb 6 2008, 04:46 PM) My Fujitsu drive failed terribly.
Moral of the story:
DO NOT USE LAPTOP FUJITSU DRIVES
I think the biggest problem you had was burning the disc using a 2.5" Hard drive instead of a burner. I have to agree on the advice not to use such a drive to burn discs with..
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste