Enable full RGB HDMI output

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by xLothwenx, May 13, 2017.

1. xLothwenx
    OP

xLothwenx Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States
    The Wii U only supports limited RGB (16 - 235 range per color channel). Any sane HD console, like Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Switch allows the video output to be configured to full RGB (0 - 255 range per color channel).

Graphics are rendered internally by the video card will full dynamic range, so video output is forcedly constrained by then mapping to the smaller dynamic range (historical broadcast range), to accommodate low quality/old TVs. Most TVs support both RGB mappings, so there's no reason to throw away the extra range by not providing a configuration option (Nintendo's infinite wisdom).

Has anyone tried hacking the video device to enable full RGB output? Is a complete IOSU hack still required before this would be possible?

2. Chakratos

Chakratos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2015
    Gambia, The
    We have "a complete IOSU" hack already ^^

This was discussed some time in the past but nothing really was accomplished :/

3. xLothwenx
    OP

xLothwenx Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the information. I meant to say a full security system hack. Do you have a link to this discussion?

4. Chakratos

Chakratos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I can't seem to find the one i was thinking about, but here is a fairly recent one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hdmi-rgb-range.464225/

In that thread they are discusding about buying some converters but if the Wii U outputs Limited colors then it can't be made full (kinda like a mp3 can't be made lossless again)

5. xLothwenx
    OP

xLothwenx Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States
    Converters aren't the answer. The goal is digital full RGB over the HDMI port, not component video. There must be a way to program the video device to disable the limited RGB conversion. If only someone knew something about how to hack the video driver...